Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covalt custom sculpted portraits for MM18!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Covalt custom sculpted portraits for MM18!!

Hey Everybody! Andrew Covalt here, and I've fired up some logs under the Toy Cauldron(TM) to make an offering to the Mego gods!!

Yeah. In other words, here are the sculpts I'm bringing to Mego Meet. I know, I called them portraits in the header. That's just too pretentious to write twice.

Price will be $10! Cheap!!

First off, a couple of ol' standbys! A 60's style Infantino inspired BATMAN! I've always been a big fan of that rooftop image from this era, so I came up with this:

Next, a 70's Neal Adams inspired JOKER! I've loved the old Power Records "Stacked Cards" story since it scared me to death when I was six and I wanted a joker that looked like the one in the story.

And here is a brand new updated Neal Adams inspired BATMAN as well! I had an old Adams Batman and frankly it was just so... old. Like I did it nearly 10 years ago old and I wanted to update it.

Well, here's an odd one. The Duke himself, John Wayne! Will anyone buy one? I have no idea...

Ah, here's one that I've wanted to try for a long time so I took a stab at a William Shatner portrait. Besides, the outfit is easily available!

And if we got Shatner, we need a Leonard Nimoy. With pointy ears. From that space show thing.

Also, I've got a George Takei in case you need someone to fly the ship, I guess that's what he does.

Finally, I was inspired by an Ebay sale from a month ago, so I recreated the elusive Ferrigno HULK sculpt that Mego didn't release! This is made for an 8" figure, not 12". I have new respect for this sculpt now that I tried to copy it based on that handful of photos. It's not a perfect reproduction, but I did what I could and I'm happy with the results.

Sorry about the crappy Hulk photo. I casted him in green (a number of different greens thanks to trying to figure out new products) and it didn't photograph all that well.

I had a lot of fun sculpting these and I hope to see everyone at the show!
    Last edited by CrimsonGhost; May 19, '18, 9:41 PM.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

I’m not going to MM, but I’ll take at least 6 of those. Any non-attendee ones available?
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by boss
      I’m not going to MM, but I’ll take at least 6 of those. Any non-attendee ones available?
      Yeah! After the show is over, I'll make some available.

If anyone else isn't going to the show but is interested in any of these sculpts, let me know either here or PM so I know what I'm in for! When I get back from Columbus, I'll sort everything out. Thanks!!

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Looking forward to meeting you at the Meet Andrew. Big fan of your work.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Gramercyplace
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 23, 2012

These sculpts are insanely good. The Adams and Infantino heads in particular, perfectly capture the spirit of their age, and blow my imagination to smitherines! I can’t attend the Meet, but I must have these Batmen!

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

These are all incredibly well done, and I think FTC should hire you. IDK what's up with their current sculptor, but so many of the heads look rough and unfinished.

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

These make me happy. PS... Andrew, your PM box is full. I sent you a message through Facebook.
              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Excellent, it's a pleasure to see more of your work. The portrait of Wayne is stunning.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

These are all incredible. I'm sure these are going to be a big hit.

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

Oh, I might have to bring a few of those back home with me.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Why you aren't sculpting for FTC is beyond me, way better than all of their sculpts. That Infantino style Bats is amazing.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        Why you aren't sculpting for FTC is beyond me, way better than all of their sculpts. That Infantino style Bats is amazing.
                        I sent them a portfolio a few years ago. They said thanks, but they already had their guy.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          I sent them a portfolio a few years ago. They said thanks, but they already had their guy.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!
                          So that means one guy is doing all the sculpts there? Seems like a lot of work for one sculptor for how much they churn out. Maybe that's why they sometimes look unfinished or have other issues.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            So that means one guy is doing all the sculpts there? Seems like a lot of work for one sculptor for how much they churn out. Maybe that's why they sometimes look unfinished or have other issues.
                            It all looks like Danny Anniello's work to me.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 29, 2007

Andy's work is second to none... He is a superb artist. Furthermore he is a true professional... Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎