X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Sitting on a lawn chair watching the over the top outrage on this.
    The internet kind of magnifies the crazies, their echo chambers and sock puppets.

I'm a big Thundercats fan from the 80s and my feelings range from to a bit sadness to I hope it turns out good. I like that it will be kid friendly and I like that it will have humor. I just don't like the animation style.

Besides, the Thundercats outrage is nothing. You DON'T want to go near the comments in articles about She-Ra and it's not really from fans of the property. It's from people that never watched the cartoon and had zero interest in it before but are now enraged by the changes to it even though they would never watch the new cartoon anyways.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

I tried to be open-minded at the producer's daring style choice for his head, but he really lost me at the line about "the world they built really lends itself to comedy."

No outrage. Just clearly not aimed at a me.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
        You DON'T want to go near the comments in articles about She-Ra and it's not really from fans of the property. It's from people that never watched the cartoon and had zero interest in it before but are now enraged by the changes to it even though they would never watch the new cartoon anyways.
        Oh yeah, I'll pass. I don't even go near anything related to Doctor Who fandom anymore either.

People are taking pop culture way to effing seriously these days.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I didn’t like the original, don’t like the new one either, lol...
          sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
            Sitting on a lawn chair watching the over the top outrage on this. If this was Big Jim I'd be ALL OVER it.
            There's nothing funnier than nerd rage to me. I can't get enough!
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

HEAR THE ROAR! Listen. Wait for it..meow

CC.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

The original is one of my all time favourite cartoons.

I also liked many aspects of the 2011 reboot.

But this new thing... No. It's not for me, but I'm sure the target audience will enjoy it.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I showed the clip of Roar to my Mom. She watched the original cartoon with me when I was a kid and loved it too. She isn't exactly known for her nerd rage and absolutely hated it. Didn't make her mad or anything. But she was like, wow that is terrible.

So my feelings now are:

(1) Some people are indeed WAY overreacting. It's not the end of the world and (2) the reboot is legitimately terrible looking.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

It would not be my choice for a reboot, but I'm not invested in it enough to care. If it was MOTU, I guess I'd be POd/disappointed but not enraged. I will say I love Steven Universe, though.

I do think that some of the enmity expressed is due to the justifiable admiration for the very cool original Rankin-Bass designs.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I do think that some of the enmity expressed is due to the justifiable admiration for the very cool original Rankin-Bass designs.
                      Going from the original's highly detailed designs to roar's crudely drawn blobs is not going to be easy for many fans. Even if the writing turns out to be really good it's still visually a pretty massive downgrade.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

The Ducktales reboot shows you can update a popular 80s property for modern audiences and it doesn't have to look terrible or be so dumbed down.

Ducktales look amazing. Terrific show.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                          Made in the USA
                          • May 2, 2003

I think I just swallowed some of my puke!!!
                          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                            I think I just swallowed some of my puke!!!
                            Sadly same reaction from me. I am 13 years older than my brother, and Thundercats was a bridge that connected us. That being said, my kids LOVE the tiny titans or whatever it's called. I'll put this on their radar, and who knows. My kids love EVERYTHING Art B. and this has that same vibe, at least to me.

Face it guys and gals, we're all pushing 50 and no one gives a S--! what we think.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                              no one gives a S--! what we think.
                              Ha, yeah, Gen-X is sorta used to that. But oddly enough they still can't resist going back to our Pop culture well. Probably because these properties have massive built in fan bases. Sort of our revenge, in way, that our demonized 80s pop culture will live on.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Wow. When they go with an art style like this for a known property, they are really asking for a world of grief. I almost don't feel sorry for them. You can only push these things so far past what people will accept.

If it's not meant to appeal to the old fans on some level, then why not just come up with a whole new property?

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎