X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
    Going from the original's highly detailed designs to roar's crudely drawn blobs is not going to be easy for many fans. Even if the writing turns out to be really good it's still visually a pretty massive downgrade.

I call it art from people who don't know how to draw.

CCC.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by LordMudd
      I call it art from people who don't know how to draw.

CCC.
      I call it garbage.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        If it's not meant to appeal to the old fans on some level, then why not just come up with a whole new property?
        I agree. The "It's not for you argument." doesn't really hold up when they are bringing back a beloved 33 year old property.

If it's not intended for fans of the original, just make something new. They just can't resist 80s properties because of their enduring popularity and iconic pop culture status but also can't be bothered to put in the effort to do it right.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I agree. The "It's not for you argument." doesn't really hold up when they are bringing back a beloved 33 year old property.

If it's not intended for fans of the original, just make something new. They just can't resist 80s properties because of their enduring popularity and iconic pop culture status but also can't be bothered to put in the effort to do it right.
          Bingo.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I'm also seeing anger from fans of the last reboot too. So it's not just us old farts.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by jwyblejr
              I'm also seeing anger from fans of the last reboot too. So it's not just us old farts.
              But here's the thing: that last reboot only lasted one season. No one was watching it...at least not enough to continue producing it. "Were going to make a serious version with strong action and blah blah blah..."

"No one cares."

"Well, we have a property with brand recognition... now what?"

They made a series with the old fans in mind. I've never seen it, but I've heard it's good and a love letter to the original series. It didn't get ratings.

It's simply the climate of the times. Brand recognition rules.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                But here's the thing: that last reboot only lasted one season. No one was watching it...at least not enough to continue producing it. "Were going to make a serious version with strong action and blah blah blah..."
                It wasn't made with fans of the original series in mind. It was made for the Avatar the last airbender crowd.

They changed the personalities and backstories of the characters. The planet Thunderra didn't exist. The Thundercats were genetic experiments made by Mumm-Ra to be slaves. The Thundercats were also changed from a just and noble people to racist class based system that kept Lions on the top and tigers and others beneath them. Mutants were the bottom of the society of Mumm-Ras created slaves and lived on the fringes of society. Tygra went from Lion-O's mentor to bitter, jealous rival and adopted brother. Cheetara and Pumyra were treated absolutely terrible. They went from distinct characters and important parts of the team to a plot device to hurt Lion-O.

It has a small group of very vocal defenders but it was awful and that's why it only lasted a season.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost

"No one cares."

"Well, we have a property with brand recognition... now what?"

They made a series with the old fans in mind. I've never seen it, but I've heard it's good and a love letter to the original series. It didn't get ratings.

It's simply the climate of the times. Brand recognition rules.
                  I'm a huge fan of the original. I tried getting into the 2011 reboot. I stopped watching because it was poorly written and the character designs were crap. They're supposed to look like cats, not Asian schoolgirls.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

It wasn't made with fans of the original series in mind. It was made for the Avatar the last airbender crowd.

They changed the personalities and backstories of the characters. The planet Thunderra didn't exist. The Thundercats were genetic experiments made by Mumm-Ra to be slaves. The Thundercats were also changed from a just and noble people to racist class based system that kept Lions on the top and tigers and others beneath them. Mutants were the bottom of the society of Mumm-Ras created slaves and lived on the fringes of society. Tygra went from Lion-O's mentor to bitter, jealous rival and adopted brother. Cheetara and Pumyra were treated absolutely terrible. They went from distinct characters and important parts of the team to a plot device to hurt Lion-O.

It has a small group of very vocal defenders but it was awful and that's why it only lasted a season.
                    Again, you hit the nail on the head. These studios will never learn. You can't serve up a plate of crap, call it steak, and expect everyone to eat it up.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Fair enough. I didn't think the original was anything to write home about either, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I adore Thundercats. This is my childhood Snarf. I even kept the box all these years. That's how much he meant to me. He has always been on display.

You will never hear me criticize stuff like Clarence or Loud House or Uncle Grandpa or Breadwinners or whatever because they are not for me and shouldn't be. Heck, 99.99 percent of stuff out there isn't for me. But when you are talking about cartoons from the 80s, like She-Ra, Thundercats and He-man, yeah, that's for me.

I do get frustrated that 80s toon reboots don't have the greatest track records. For every DuckTales there's five Michael Bay Transformers movies. (He actually thought that it would be a good idea to give Devastator wrecking ball privates. What the heck!?) But I still don't wish people the behind the Thundercats reboot any ill will and the over the top vitriol I've heard about being directed at the cartoon isn't normal or helping. I'm not angry, just a little sad. But I'm also still trying to be positive and hopefully the writing will be good. Maybe they will even take some of the normal calm constructive criticism to heart and improve the animation as the show progresses.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎