Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Quentin Tarantino really making a Star Trek movie ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgiabuff View Post
    I don't think he is the right fit for Trek but I like his movies for the most part so I would definitely check out what he does. I am skeptical it will ever actually happen though
    It kind of feels like Michael Jordan playing baseball but I'd go see it.

I'm not against the new Trek movies, but I wasn't blown away by them either. I don't think they fully pulled off the magic of the original series - and I don't think any of the original cast movies did either. (I'm probably in the minority in thinking that part 4 came the closest to feeling like the original series most.)

I think Tarentino's best strength is deeply understanding the strenghts of movie genres. He also exploits aspects of genres that most filmmakers overlook. If he really ends up directing it - as planned - then I think we're in for a treat. It's too bad Simon Pegg said he's not co-writing though, because the idea of those two nerds working away on this sounded like a lot of fun.

All I want is for them to get back to actually seeking out new life and new civilizations...boldly going where no man has gone before.

Enough of the "Star Wars Lite" version.

Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    All I want is for them to get back to actually seeking out new life and new civilizations...boldly going where no man has gone before.

Enough of the "Star Wars Lite" version.
    YES. I compltely agree! Another reason I think Tarantino will have an interesting take on this is that he's said many times that he doesn't care about Star Wars. He's not beholden to that formula and I think he understands what can make Trek unique.

IF they actually let him do what he wants. Many times big corporations seem to SAY they want something different and then freak out when they get it - not to bring up Star Wars again, but Solo comes to mind.

I know when people think of Tarantino they think of violence and swearing, but when I think of his version of Trek I keep thinking about Carradine's Superman speech near the end of Kill Bill 2.

To me, it was a unique take on Superman that also completley worked with and respected Superman's established mythology. Personally, I would have rather seen THAT Superman movie instead of a lot of the other recent versions. If he has anything like that planned for Trek I am totally down!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Makernaut View Post
    ... all of his stuff so far is straight out of his own head ...
    I reeeeeeeeeeeally don't want to be that guy, but seriously?
    To each their own, I never cared much for his stuff. To me, some of it is enjoyable the first time around but doesn't hold up to repeated viewings. The guy is in love with his own terrible dialog. I did enjoy IB, thought it was the best of his I've seen by far. Haven't seen it since, and war movies aren't my thing so I don't know if he "paid homage to" any older movies with that one.

But c'mon, the guy steals everything he can get his hands on.
    Oh, I mean "references."
    Maybe he can do something good and not p*ss on ST but my immediate reaction is NO WAY.
    Seems desperate and tone deaf. Or just calculated to generate buzz.

Images
    ^ I think the parts I wrote before and after what you quoted made it pretty clear what I was talking about.

If there's one thing that is consistent about Trek, it's that it's constantly reinventing itself. Even Wrath of Khan was a soft reboot. It's hard to keep all the iterations straight at this point. I don't know if they're chasing an unachievable high of capturing the magic again, but as fans, we're pretty much used to 'different' takes on the concept. I'd welcome anything that's fun and adventurous, with character camaraderie, whether it's got Tarrantino's name attached or not. So I say, eh, why not? Let's see what Quentin can do. Might be just the shot in the arm it needs.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, he can stay the hell away from Star Trek.
    Your comment made me laugh, because that's how I felt about Abrams doing Star Wars. And Rian Johnson, but only in hindsight on him because I didn't even know whom the hell he was before that.

Images
    When I think of Tarantino I don't necessarily think of violence and swearing right off the bat.

The first thing I think of is intense character study --- The idea of having the same people in a room just talking for what seems like hours.

In away, almost like an old one room sitcom like The Honeymooners, The Odd Couple or Barney Miller.
    .................................................. .......................