Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Mego had lasted just a little bit longer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

What if Mego had lasted just a little bit longer?

What if Mego had lasted well into the 80s?

I don't think we've done one of these speculation type threads in a while.

How would they have countered popular 80s lines like Transformers, Masters of the Universe and GI JOE?

For Transformers, I'm thinking a Micronauts revival with the addition of transformable vehicles for the figures. For MOTU, I think they would have gone the Remco route and made their own MOTU like line maybe even with licensed characters like Thundarr. For GI JOE, I think they would have pushed Eagle Force maybe upping the scale to match.

Would they have abandoned the 8 inch format?

I'm thinking they would have changed with the times and went with all plastic figures. Maybe a few 8 inch figures released along with smaller scale lines. But I don't think full lines of just 8 inch figures would have continued.

What licenses would they have gotten?

I think A-Team and Knight Rider seems like a pretty good fit.

Would they have kept the DC and Marvel license?

I'm not sure. I think Secret Wars and Super Powers would have been done like Pocket Heroes if they did.
    Last edited by Werewolf; May 11, '18, 2:19 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Interesting idea for a thread!

A case could be made that Mego, who already had a relationship with Takara, would have imported their transforming robot lines like Diaclone that became Transformers, and therefore Hasbro wouldn't have ever come up the brand!

It's hard to say if 8" would have remained. Mego bypassed 8" for most of their late 70s lines, but came back to it for the Dukes of Hazzard, which was actually a hit for them. But they probably would have put more emphasis on 3.75" for sure.

I think 12" was dead and gone. Once the ESB and Raiders figures stalled, that scale was dead for boys in the 80s.

Had DC continued at Mego, I think they would have gotten heavily revamped, and brought into line with the emerging DC Style Guide, which came into being the year Mego began to go under, 1982.

Not sure about Marvel. They didn't have as strong of a marketing arm at the time. Maybe they would have eventually refreshed WGSH with the X-Men and a black costumed Spidey.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

I think I had read in Toyfare that there were plans in the works for Mego to do Transformers before they folded. Someone I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

A case could be made that Mego, who already had a relationship with Takara, would have imported their transforming robot lines like Diaclone that became Transformers, and therefore Hasbro wouldn't have ever come up the brand!
        I think the same, Transformers were from Takara's Diaclone and Micro-Change (an offshoot of Microman/Micronauts) lines, so Mego might have brought those here. It's true that a lot of success of Transformers had to do with Marvel's involvement, but then again Marvel already had a relationship with Mego in the Micronauts comic, so who knows what might have happened?

Something else to think about, Mego had a deal with Nintendo and started importing some of their handheld video games. What if Mego could have hung on a bit more for the introduction of the.....NES? The mind boggles.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I think they would have expanded their Pocket Super Heroes line to compete with Star Wars. It's really the only thing they could do that might match the success. They were already improving the sculpts with later figures in the line like Cap, Green Goblin and Aquaman. Those three were definitely done in the Kenner style. I could see Mego doing Iceman and Firestar, along with some of the X-Men, and probably a Swamp Thing movie figure as well.

Comment

• glimpy
            Loco Chango
            • Feb 5, 2012

Then I would really be broke
            sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Since I think Dukes of Hazzard was one of the last 8" action figure lines, (if) they had lasted longer, could we had possibly seen Roscoe and Uncle Jesse 8" megos along with maybe the General Lee for Bo and Luke?

Comment

• LordMudd
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 22, 2011

Mego had the Star Trek license already and had also already transitioned the line to the smaller scale. I believe we would have seen figures, vehicles and playsets for all of the movies, TNG, DS9 and Voyager, and I believe they would have done the ultimate Trek playset...the Holodeck!

CCC.

Comment

• LordMudd
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  I think they would have expanded their Pocket Super Heroes line to compete with Star Wars. It's really the only thing they could do that might match the success. They were already improving the sculpts with later figures in the line like Cap, Green Goblin and Aquaman. Those three were definitely done in the Kenner style. I could see Mego doing Iceman and Firestar, along with some of the X-Men, and probably a Swamp Thing movie figure as well.
                  Take the Cap legs and put on the CA Shazam body to update him. Repaint Green Goblin for Hobgoblin and Cap for USAgent. Update Joker, use that as a base for Two Face, leave Penguin as, just because he is short to begin with. Also add the original Teen Titans.

CCC.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎