X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Ebay gripe...

Has anyone else had Ebay basically open a best offer on items you are selling that are Buy It Now's only?? I just had someone send me an offer on a DVD I have up on ebay that I NEVER made a "Best Offer" option available on. I know ebay wants to control everything that is sold on their site...but really, opening an option that I didn't OK and never wanted on my listing in the first place??!!?? I declined the offer with this message to the person that made the offer:

"Ebay put the "best offer" on this listing. The price on the DVD is the Buy It Now price. Sorry for any confusion Ebay may have given you about this listing. I never had a best offer on the listing. Ebay put it on my listing without my authorization."

I do my research before I put up anything on ebay and part of that research is to see how much I could sell the item I am listing. I don't go for the "Home Run" price and anyone that has ever dealt with me knows that. I sell at a price that "everyone" is happy with. I make a little money...the buyer is happy with the price..win win situation for all involved. It's sad that ebay needs to stick their nose into EVERY aspect of what people are selling...yet they let so called power sellers that have 50 - 100 negatives in less than a month still deal on the site because they make money for them because the amount of listings they put up. Sorry had to rant a little.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

You're the second person who's reported this...and I agree, it's total BS.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

When you first put up the auction, before you post it, you have to double triple quadruple check to make sure everything is in check, then when you post it, check later that day to see if it says best offer, if it does you can edit the auction and uncheck the box that has the best offer option. I have run into this myself several times, I have listed items at buy it now, and if it doesn't sell I relist, but for some reason when I relist the box where the best offer is offered its automatically checked marked, so just remove the check mark at best offer, then relist the item. eBay is sneaky, I have listed items and I dang well know I never offered a best offer price, but there's the check mark in the best offer option, just edit and remove the check mark in the best offer box.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
        Career Member
        • Jan 13, 2009

I gave up selling a long time ago on ebay because it felt like people would buy, not pay and nothing ever happened to them. I was tired of the nonsense back then, but this would do it for me if I hadn't given up. My wife sold around a $2,000 purse on ebay, the girl wore it for 30+ days and then opened a claim that it was damaged. Ebay made us refund the money after she returned the purse. So, she got to use our purse for 30 days and then return it free of charge! I looked her up on FB because I was ****ED! She was complaining on her timeline that she had lost her job, etc. That was it for me.

I buy constantly, but will never sell again.

EDIT: Another pet peeve lately is the Chinese sellers saying they're from LA so you think they're a US seller. I only buy from the North America due to shipping times. The Chinese sellers are now stating they have an address in LA (probably the port they ship in to)... I buy and have to wait 45-60 days to get my stuff!
        Last edited by cockyhoskins; May 10, '18, 7:52 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I now only buy and sell to and from American members on eBay, it avoids any unpleasantries and added aggravation.

When you ship something out of the US, it seems the tracking info stops once it leaves the country, shipping to Canada seems to be okay, maybe because it's connected to the US.

Now eBay is sending sellers a petition to sign to try and stop the government from taxing you on your eBay profits,
          anyone get that yet?

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by tjacwave50
            I now only buy and sell to and from American members on eBay, it avoids any unpleasantries and added aggravation.

When you ship something out of the US, it seems the tracking info stops once it leaves the country, shipping to Canada seems to be okay, maybe because it's connected to the US.

Now eBay is sending sellers a petition to sign to try and stop the government from taxing you on your eBay profits,
            anyone get that yet?
            Yup...Got that one the other day.

Comment

• megoapesnut
              The name says it all!
              • Dec 3, 2007

I sell very little on ebay. I can't remember the last date I sold something. The nightmares I have had both buying and selling on ebay would make a great reality TV series. Having said that, I have a computer somebody wants me to sell for them so I guess I will have to give it a shot and cross my fingers.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I think I've had them default to that when I try to re-list something. You have to really be careful and double check. It is really unfair to tinker with the seller's asking price. That's pretty sacred to the agreement I should think.

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Sorry to hear about Ebay's tricks. You no longer work for yourself but work for Ebay. Sad fact I realized after 12 looooong years. I have been Ebay free of selling there for over 5 years and I am a
                  much happier person. Their greed and ineptness go hand in hand making it a challenge for any seller. Best of luck to you with this.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎