X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

Looking for advice on vintage toys

I've reached that point where it's time for some of the vintage toys in my collection to go. I've had many of them since I was a kid. I have bought and sold toys on eBay, but I am leaning away from eBay for these items. I'll give an example: I have 32 complete GI Joe figures from 1982 and 1983, loose vehicles, couple vehicles and HQ in boxes. From completed auctions, it looks like selling as a group would be like giving them away. Breaking them up and selling individually would be a large, time consuming effort that I don't have. I would also most likely sell the really desirable stuff and get left with the common items. I have received a quote from a local vintage toy shop. They are right on with the estimated retail price, but are only offering 50% of retail. Not sure what other shops offer. I'm looking for advice and experience from others who have been in this situation. Are there other options? Thanks for your feedback.
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

You should start with pics of what you have for sell.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
      Veteran Member
      • May 15, 2012

Sorry. I didn't intend this to be a "for sale" posting. Im looking for Peoples experiences with selling larger group of items. Particularly, what is a fair % of retail when selling to a brick and mortar, vintage store.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I think the 50% off of retail is pretty common for an offer from a retail shop or even just a collector looking to resale it all. Your best bet if selling it off in pieces is out of the question is to find the collector that wants to buy everything in one shot. Post it up here and facebook etc... Do you have any local toy or collector shows in your area? You could take pictures of what you have and ask around if anyone is interested.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Myoldtoys
          Veteran Member
          • May 15, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I'm located near Pittsburgh, PA. There is a local toy show at the beginning of June. My guess is that vendors there would also be in the 50% of retail range, but it's worth a shot. I may list some of the items in the marketplace here just to see if there is any interest. I wouldn't do that with the GI Joe lot though mainly due to the shipping size and cost (HQ, Skystriker, APC, and the 2 boxes of loose vehicles and figures).

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

For the Joe stuff,you can try at the Kentucky GI Joe show on July 28th.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Find a young trusted friend or family member that will sell them for you at a percentage profit.

It's a good time coming up when high school and college kids are on vacation and need a hobby.

Give them a 30-40% cut on everything sold.

This will give them time to play around with the stuff on ebay and you wont have to worry about doing anything yourself.

Let them research what's currently the best way to sell (lots etc)

You just sit back and collect the money

Comment

• SAS-KY
                • Jun 12, 2014

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                For the Joe stuff,you can try at the Kentucky GI Joe show on July 28th.
                While we would love to have you at the Kentucky GI Joe Show (www.kygijoe.com) another closer option for you would be the Harrisburg Acton Figure Show (https://www.facebook.com/HarrisburgToyShow/)

Tell 'em Steve from Ky sent you.

Steve

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 15, 2012

Thanks Steve. I just checked out the Harrisburg shows Facebook page. That show looks so good, I would probably end up buying more than I sold. Hahahaha

Comment

• JWLJN
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 7, 2013

If you look up D&E Collectibles on Facebook, it seems they're having a show on the South Side on November 25th. It's a awhile away but I'm considering getting a table and prices seem reasonable.
                    http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 15, 2012

The guys at D&E are great. That's actually where I got the 50%-of-retail quote from. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I've come up with a game plan. I'm going to sell some of the larger items at the 50% rate to clear some space. Then I'll take my time and sell the rest individually.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎