Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I forgot to add in my statement about liking it and watching it if I see it's on TV the simple fact that it is the only Apes Movie/TV show/Cartoon that I don't have in my collection. So, I watch it but if I truly cared about it, I suppose I would have bought it.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I liked Tim Roth’s General Thade...that was one mean mad chimp...

And while the old school ape makeup was top notch, the new POTA movies are vastly superior.
      sigpic

Comment

• spockoda
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jan 14, 2018

Thanks for the perspectives everyone. It seems like the ending was an issue for a lot of people. I feel like it had potential but since there wasn't any more films in the series that tells us something right there.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by spockoda
          Thanks for the perspectives everyone. It seems like the ending was an issue for a lot of people. I feel like it had potential but since there wasn't any more films in the series that tells us something right there.
          It's my favorites Apes film. I truly believe most people just couldn't get past their love of the original series enough to look at it through unfiltered eyes. The storyline and reason for the intelligent apes is much better than that of the original series of films. Rick Baker's makeups are also superior. Danny Elfman's score is incredible...just as good as Goldsmith's original IMO, and the film is simply stunning in it's production values. I even liked the ending. It was shocking like the original without copying it. I would have definitely watched a sequel had they followed through with it.

I'll also add, that the scene towards the end with Pericles really got me...it was very touching and one of the best scenes in the entire Apes franchise.
          Last edited by enyawd72; May 12, '18, 5:11 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i did not mind the end either and would have loved a sequel to it

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

It's probably my least favourite of any apes film. It has some great qualities, (mostly) excellent make up and yeah, Tim Roth is giving it his all but it's derided by a dumb story, a forgettable lead and Burton's contempt oozes all over this in the form of camp.

I don't view it as an abomination or anything, a lot of cool stuff came from it in the form of merch and DVDs, so in a way I'm kind of grateful?
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ZMOQ
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jun 1, 2010

One of the first things that I noticed (and it bothered me) when I saw it in the theater was the utter confusion about: What exactly are the humans like in that world?

Initially, they're treated like wild animals (a nod to the 1968 movie). They're dressed like Neanderthals, they scamper around in the jungle, and they get hunted by apes on horseback, get shoved into crude cages and branded. Some are sold as pets. So, we assume that they're the same mute, primitive humans that we're all familiar with from the 1968 movie.

Then... they start TALKING. In complete sentences. So, obviously they are not the mindless primitives that we thought they were. Since they are obviously intelligent, why aren't they living in villages, organizing themselves and making better clothing and tools, like humans did in our own Neolithic times?

It starts getting more confusing. There's this one native human who seems to be like an ape household majordomo or senior servant. He's dressed nicely, and he's obviously being entrusted with important household duties- something that wouldn't happen if humans were simply animals. How/why would members of the same species be both pets and senechals? So the movie mutates the status of humans into more of a "Battle for the Planet of the Apes/POTA TV series" where talking humans are slaves, servants and an underclass and all they need is a little push from our astronaut(s) to get their act together and put up a decent fight/rebellion against their ape oppressors.

So what are they? Animals or slaves? The 2001 POTA movie tries have it BOTH ways and succeeds in neither.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

^I didn't get that at all. To me, the apes and humans were intellectual equals, but the apes were so physically superior that the humans had no choice but to be subservient.
                  Humans have treated fellow humans the exact same way. During slavery, there were better treated "house" slaves and butlers, but there were also field workers who were beaten and kept in chains.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Humans, (smart or not) were all cowed into being … cows

Kinda like the American slave era but replace the ruling physically superior bodies on the apes with lots and lots of guns

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I never got a clear idea who the humans were in the film, native to the planet or are they descendants of the space voyagers? It kind of looks like they get slaughtered in the found footage.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎