Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG Toys Week: Earthquake Tower by Remco

Plaid Stallions BIG Toys Week: Earthquake Tower by Remco

I think this is one of the more infamous toys weve ever discussed on PlaidStallions. Remco sought to cash in on the Irwin Allen disaster movie craze (but not pay for it) by creating this playset that emulates a massive earthquake hitting a tower.

Earthquakes are real events, unlike King Kong or Godzilla attacks, the Remco Earthquake tower is well, one of the more morbid toys ever conceived (with this being a close contender for #2).

Remco sold it as a sort of rescue game, your goal was to save as many civilians as you could using your copter and fire truck but as a former 7 year old boy, I'll tell you right now, those people are toast.

Its also, as the theme week would anticipate, really, really big. It's five feet tall, which means bigger than most kids.

Remco even included a floppy vinyl record of explosions, sirens, and perilous music to help you simulate this environment; it is, however, tastefully bereft of screams. Give it a listen if you like, I put it on Youtube.

?

If the embed code is showing up on your browser, here is a link to it on Youtube.

Like our Facebook Page
    Check out our Instagram

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...

Images
    Wow, that's kind of...tacky. But that was also in the time when natural disasters were just blips on the evening news for a few nights and then they went away from our minds. They weren't in our face 24 hours a day like they are now. We could distance ourselves from the horrors of it more.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Natural disasters may have been a blip on the radar, but disaster movies like The Towering Inferno were a big hit. Only problem would be associating a cardboard toy with a movie about a burning building, and you can see where that would end up.

CCC.

Images
    That record sounds like it would be from the old Superman cartoon.

CCC.

Images
    I think it’s the first time I’ve seen this. It’s neat!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    I have seen pics, never in person. If it was 1/18 scale, I would have one by now.

CCC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Wow, that's kind of...tacky. But that was also in the time when natural disasters were just blips on the evening news for a few nights and then they went away from our minds. They weren't in our face 24 hours a day like they are now. We could distance ourselves from the horrors of it more.
    Oh yeah, I admit this is done in today's sensibilities although I bet the concept turned off some folks then.

Nowadays, this toy would be pushed through the 24 news cycle for a good week before Remco's offices were burned to the ground!

Images
    Well, at least it's a rescue toy where YOU are the good guy --- unlike Don't Break The Ice where YOU are the murderer
    .................................................. .......................

I would have loved playing with this thing as a kid, I still kind of want it. But yeah, in this day and age it would have never been made.

Images
    I could see that recording getting old quick. If it didn't have wacky music it could be cool.