X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Free comic book day

I was treated so poorly, I left without the free comics and the comics I planned to pay for. Doesn't make sense to drive away somebody who has six Marvel characters tattooed on himself. Seems like they would want my business. I guess not. I plan to call the owner before they close tonight and let her know. Her employee was saying he wanted a "I survived free comic book day" tee-shirt. I think he should be fired!
    Last edited by LonnieFisher; May 5, '18, 7:29 PM.
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Working retail is rough add on to that, it's a comic store with kids and OCD nerds on their busiest day of the year. I would over look "I survived free comic book day" comment I've seen managers hand out I survived peak season shirts to employees.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

That sucks Lonnie. My day was fine. Went to both our shops here in town. One allowed 5 free comics, the other allowed only 2 per person. They both had sales on back issues, statues, figures and most everything else.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 18, 2007

I went into Mile High Comics here in Denver. The line was a block long at 9am when the store opened. I decided to come back at 0130 and the line was no longer out of the store. They seemed to have a good system in place and you were allowed 3 free books. I showed up to Meet Wendy and Richard Pini, and have some books signed. I left without any free books. Just waaaay too many people in the store, and this is the Mega Store. Super happy with meeting the Pinis.

Comment

• Madcap70
          • Dec 4, 2017

I've always wanted to go but never had the chance to

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
            I went into Mile High Comics here in Denver. The line was a block long at 9am when the store opened. I decided to come back at 0130 and the line was no longer out of the store. They seemed to have a good system in place and you were allowed 3 free books. I showed up to Meet Wendy and Richard Pini, and have some books signed. I left without any free books. Just waaaay too many people in the store, and this is the Mega Store. Super happy with meeting the Pinis.
            Nice! the Pini's live about 20 minutes from me. (their NY home anyway). Actually a few doors down from a girl I dated in college. I met Richard many years ago at the local shop I always bought my comics from

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Wendy Pini...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

yeah that was in the 70's,. she had a killer body

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

SyFy Wire recently did a Behind the Panel episode with Wendy & Richard Pini looking back at 40 years of Elfquest and their careers in comics.

If you are a fan of Elfquest or the Pinis, it's well worth watching.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

I haven't purchased comics since a year after the New 52 debuted -- now it's just Omnibus books and a rare modern trade here & there -- nor have I been to FCBD in a while. It always conflicted with The Sports Card Expo in Toronto and one of the few times I made it was at Silver Snail in TO. The one other time I remember going was with my daughters when they were small at Empire Comics in Rochester, NY (R.I.P.) and they were great there.

I skipped the Sports Card Expo this year and planned to go to FCBD to see if I could pick up the FCBD Exclusive Nightwing & Batgirl Vinimate set... only to find out that it was delayed until May 30. That was too bad because I think the exclusive product is a nice draw to spend money on FCBD, especially for non-comic book readers. So I ended up not going at all.

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

Sorry to hear your venture to the shop sucked, Lonnie. We had a great time at one of our favorite shops in St. Louis. They allow 5 books per person from the free table and since the family of four goes, we pretty much can pick up all our interests (as long as we share) They also have blind grab bags with 25 books for $5, so the kids head out with 30 books to get inspired by for five bucks!! Can't beat that. My daughter is showing some pretty serious illustrating skills, so we brought along some of her artwork to show to the folks who were doing drawings for people. She ended up putting a sketch into their sketchbook rather than the other way around. This year, being Cinco de Mayo, the street was closed off nearby the shop and we got to catch some mariachi and all the street vendor tacos you could stomach. good times

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎