Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I found the online catalog for the library in my hometown. They still have "Batman: From the 30s to the 70s" & "Shazam!: From the 40s to the 70s". Sadly, the Wonder Woman book they had when I was a kid (or anything "Wonder Woman" published in the 70s as I am not 100% sure what title I read) doesn't show up. Even tried searching for "Gloria Steinem", but nada connected to Wonder Woman. I was hoping they still had it so I could swing by and give some confirmation.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

I still have the Shazam and Superman books from when I was a kid.
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I'm weakening, I may nab the Batman volume and of course once I do that, I'll want all of them. Dissuade me, dissuade me!!! lol
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

I finally found an affordable copy of the Batman book in the wild at a comics and toy show today...

I now have Shazam, Supes and Bats.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

I have these series of books, and have very fond memories of reading them from the library as a kid. They sit proudly on my bookshelf alongside the Marvel Fireside books, and the 70's Encyclopedias of Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I have a paperback reprint of the Batman Encyclopedia, I didn't even know it existed when I was a kid.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 19, '18, 9:22 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Somebody bought me the Superman: From the Thirties to the Seventies hardcover when I was about 10.

Now, I must note that I'm not sure if that particular book is related to the book referenced in this thread, because I looked it up on Amazon, and the book I had says it was published by Bonanza Books in 1971 (not Harmony).

Regardless, thought I'd share that the book was a weird presence in my collection because although I loved the Superman character, I always gravitated more toward toys, movies and TV than actual comics.

But it seems that in my life there have always been things like this phantom placing of this Superman 30s to 70s book (containing a collection of comics that spanned 4 decades) that consistently injected splinters of the deeper superhero source-material over the years, fating it to be a part of my superhero make-up, certainly for the better.

The book, with it's more "old-timey" entries, was harder for me to get into initially, but eventually, at least 90 percent of the Superman canon(s) stuff sunk in, most notably through the Birdwell foreword which drew me in by connecting all eras of Superman pre-documentary era.

Among things that have stuck with me, in the Birdwell piece, I was introduced to how influential the radio show was to the Superman mythos in so many ways...and in the "comics" part of the book, I remember seeing the "real" first Batman/Superman team-up and learning more about Bizarro and being introduced to the "Schott" Toyman as well as the Prankster and many other things all in that one book.

When I saw this thread ask the question just felt I had to chime in, despite the book I'm describing possibly being the wrong publisher and/or book, mostly because it sounds similar to the book referenced and, frankly, it had a huge impact on my understanding of superheroes media.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

I see these books on eBay, but the auctions just show pics of the front and back covers, so my question is
                    are the pages in black & white or color? I am interested in both the Batman volume one and Superman volume 3
                    encyclopedies, thanks.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

Black and white is the majority for the one Batman copy I read. I think ...think...I remember some storylines being in color.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

And Tjac...I'm pretty sure it had a couple of different publishers but I am certain it is the same book.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Thanks for the info Megotastrophe, it's definitely something I may look into, I'll probably grab Superman volume 3
                          off ebay.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎