X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

1970s Harmony HC DC Comics books?

I just obtained a nice copy of Shazam! From the '40s to the '70s at what I consider a good price. I had wanted a copy for a long time and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I see there are several other Harmony DC hardcover collections from the '70s: Superman, Batman, DC Origins. (Sadly, no WW).

What say ye, do you recommend these--in regards to content? The Batman volume has ubiquitous Infantino art that gives it a Mego vibe.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; May 5, '18, 3:42 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Isn't this book essentially the same thing for Wonder Woman? I remember seeing it advertised alongside the others in DC books of the 70s.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

My High School library had the Shazam! book. Checked it out many, many times.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know Chris, but I'm very intrigued.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Isn't this book essentially the same thing for Wonder Woman? I remember seeing it advertised alongside the others in DC books of the 70s.

Chris
        Last edited by PNGwynne; May 5, '18, 6:27 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by phil
          My High School library had the Shazam! book. Checked it out many, many times.
          I'm enjoying it so much now; at twelve, my head might have exploded lol.

I think the introduction by Bridwell is excellent, I learned from it and I thought I was pretty savvy on the Big Red Cheese.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

I have the Batman & Superman volumes (Shazam too), and they are comparable. Great stuff for sure!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

The Shazam book is a hard one to find. I have multiple copies of the Superman and Batman 30's - 70's books. Used to take the Batman one out of my grade school library once a week. Love that book.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I just found some contents listings for the other volumes. Regarding Batman: Room for Batwoman, Ace, and two Batgirls, but no Catwoman? Clayface I but not Penguin!? I'm somewhat shocked.

Similarly, the Superman volume excludes Brainiac.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

I've never seen the Wonder Woman in person...Only knew it existed after I saw it on Ebay.

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

I first encountered the Shazam volume at the public library when I was in high school. I acquired the Superman volume at the fall Columbus Toy Show in 2016 for $20 and picked up the Shazam volume at an estate sale for $2 at the end of last year. I have been trying to find a copy of the Batman book at a reasonable price for a while-the Columbus Half Price Books near the OSU campus had all three at one point but wanted $150 each for Superman and Shazam and $200 for Batman and all were missing the dust jackets, which I thought was way out of line for those books even if at that point I hadn't seen them in over a decade.

I've never encountered the Wonder Woman volume in the wild.

I'd also like to find copies of the DC books from Fireside Books (a division of Simon & Shuster) who also put out a bunch of Marvel books (they were the publishers for Origins of Marvel Comics Son of Origins etc.).

They did a collection of DC sci-fi stories-Mysteries in Space...

and one for the DC Romance comics-Heartthrobs

and one of DC war comics-America at War...

-M
                    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                      learning all the time
                      • Sep 15, 2010

Are those different from the Crown Publishers Batman and Superman from the '30s to the '70s?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
                        Are those different from the Crown Publishers Batman and Superman from the '30s to the '70s?
                        Judging from the indicia, one and the same. I think they were also reprinted by Bonanza books.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                          learning all the time
                          • Sep 15, 2010

Interesting. Do you know which editions were first?
                          Also, is there any modern equivalent to a '70s Supes or Bats collection in color? a dc "omnibus" of '70s Bats and Supes?

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                            I wish I could say with 100% certainty, but I believe that is one of the four books my hometown library had. I can only remember with certainty that they had a hardcover Wonder Woman collection of comics along with the Superman, Batman, and Shazam! volumes that had the E. Nelson Bridwell introductions. I can't find anything else that I might be thinking of, so that had to be it. All I know is that it seemed to be a natural fit for a series and in fact, I thought it was a part of it. I read all of them several to many times as a kid. I remember that the library had to have all of them recovered/rebound because they were popular and heavily read. (Hard to imagine that libraries used to have to do that). That's a factor in why I can't recognize it by the cover alone and I wouldn't have known Gloria Steinem from Gloria Stivic at that age so that doesn't help jar any memories, either.

Long way of saying if that's the one I read as a kid, it fits right in with the Superman/Batman/ Shazam! books.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I think the introduction by Bridwell is excellent, I learned from it and I thought I was pretty savvy on the Big Red Cheese.
                              I'm thinking Bridwell was probably the first "fan-boy" to make his way into the industry.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎