Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1970s Harmony HC DC Comics books?

Images
    Blog Entries
    I have these series of books, and have very fond memories of reading them from the library as a kid. They sit proudly on my bookshelf alongside the Marvel Fireside books, and the 70's Encyclopedias of Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman.

Images
    I have a paperback reprint of the Batman Encyclopedia, I didn't even know it existed when I was a kid.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 19, '18 at 9:22 PM.
    WANTED: POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Somebody bought me the Superman: From the Thirties to the Seventies hardcover when I was about 10.

Now, I must note that I'm not sure if that particular book is related to the book referenced in this thread, because I looked it up on Amazon, and the book I had says it was published by Bonanza Books in 1971 (not Harmony).

Regardless, thought I'd share that the book was a weird presence in my collection because although I loved the Superman character, I always gravitated more toward toys, movies and TV than actual comics.

But it seems that in my life there have always been things like this phantom placing of this Superman 30s to 70s book (containing a collection of comics that spanned 4 decades) that consistently injected splinters of the deeper superhero source-material over the years, fating it to be a part of my superhero make-up, certainly for the better.

The book, with it's more "old-timey" entries, was harder for me to get into initially, but eventually, at least 90 percent of the Superman canon(s) stuff sunk in, most notably through the Birdwell foreword which drew me in by connecting all eras of Superman pre-documentary era.

Among things that have stuck with me, in the Birdwell piece, I was introduced to how influential the radio show was to the Superman mythos in so many ways...and in the "comics" part of the book, I remember seeing the "real" first Batman/Superman team-up and learning more about Bizarro and being introduced to the "Schott" Toyman as well as the Prankster and many other things all in that one book.

When I saw this thread ask the question just felt I had to chime in, despite the book I'm describing possibly being the wrong publisher and/or book, mostly because it sounds similar to the book referenced and, frankly, it had a huge impact on my understanding of superheroes media.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

I see these books on eBay, but the auctions just show pics of the front and back covers, so my question is
    are the pages in black & white or color? I am interested in both the Batman volume one and Superman volume 3
    encyclopedies, thanks.

Black and white is the majority for the one Batman copy I read. I think ...think...I remember some storylines being in color.

And Tjac...I'm pretty sure it had a couple of different publishers but I am certain it is the same book.

Thanks for the info Megotastrophe, it's definitely something I may look into, I'll probably grab Superman volume 3
    off ebay.