Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1970s Harmony HC DC Comics books?

Images
    Are those different from the Crown Publishers Batman and Superman from the '30s to the '70s?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C.H.O.A.M. View Post
    Are those different from the Crown Publishers Batman and Superman from the '30s to the '70s?
    Judging from the indicia, one and the same. I think they were also reprinted by Bonanza books.
    WANTED: POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    Interesting. Do you know which editions were first?
    Also, is there any modern equivalent to a '70s Supes or Bats collection in color? a dc "omnibus" of '70s Bats and Supes?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Isn't this book essentially the same thing for Wonder Woman? I remember seeing it advertised alongside the others in DC books of the 70s.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-.../dp/0030131812

Chris
    I wish I could say with 100% certainty, but I believe that is one of the four books my hometown library had. I can only remember with certainty that they had a hardcover Wonder Woman collection of comics along with the Superman, Batman, and Shazam! volumes that had the E. Nelson Bridwell introductions. I can't find anything else that I might be thinking of, so that had to be it. All I know is that it seemed to be a natural fit for a series and in fact, I thought it was a part of it. I read all of them several to many times as a kid. I remember that the library had to have all of them recovered/rebound because they were popular and heavily read. (Hard to imagine that libraries used to have to do that). That's a factor in why I can't recognize it by the cover alone and I wouldn't have known Gloria Steinem from Gloria Stivic at that age so that doesn't help jar any memories, either.

Long way of saying if that's the one I read as a kid, it fits right in with the Superman/Batman/ Shazam! books.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    I think the introduction by Bridwell is excellent, I learned from it and I thought I was pretty savvy on the Big Red Cheese.
    I'm thinking Bridwell was probably the first "fan-boy" to make his way into the industry.

Images
    I found the online catalog for the library in my hometown. They still have "Batman: From the 30s to the 70s" & "Shazam!: From the 40s to the 70s". Sadly, the Wonder Woman book they had when I was a kid (or anything "Wonder Woman" published in the 70s as I am not 100% sure what title I read) doesn't show up. Even tried searching for "Gloria Steinem", but nada connected to Wonder Woman. I was hoping they still had it so I could swing by and give some confirmation.

Images
    I still have the Shazam and Superman books from when I was a kid.

Images
    I'm weakening, I may nab the Batman volume and of course once I do that, I'll want all of them. Dissuade me, dissuade me!!! lol
    WANTED: POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.