Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we the unloved/forgotten generation?

Images
    ^ agreed. I was just talking to some friends about that last night. I just hope I have enough put away that I can retire and not worry about what a mess Millenials are going to make of things

It's true. I stunned an 18 year old student that worked in our store for his senior project last year. He could not believe that I had memorized ALL of our company's account numbers...FedEx, UPS, etc. Full names and addresses of repeat customers, frequently shipped to, etc. Not to mention movie star names, film titles and dates of original release, re-releases, all the various poster sizes...he asked repeatedly WHY I would bother to do this. He looked up EVERYTHING on his phone. One day I finally got tired of it, and asked him to give it to me. I put it in a drawer, and said OK. Now tell me ANYTHING that you've learned about your time working here without looking it up. He couldn't.

So I asked him...between the two of us, you have to rely on your phone, which I've just taken away, while I can rely on MYSELF. Now do you understand WHY I memorize everything? He finally got it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgiabuff View Post
    ...and not worry about what a mess Millenials are going to make of things
    I agree with much that has been said in this thread about Millenials and technology, but I do not agree with your statement. They have inherited a "mess." I'm not at all confident they can overcome it, I hope they prove me wrong before something catastrophic happens.
    WANTED: POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    every generation inherits what they consider to be a mess from the previous generation, but I do not see that millenials will be competent enough to actually do anything productive once they are running the world. I hope I am wrong, my children are millenials and I would rather see them having an easier time of it then we have had

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    They have inherited a "mess."
    We all inherited the mess and each generation has tried their best to make things a little better. The difference is our generation got blamed for "the mess" from both the generation before us and the generation after us. If Gen X really had that kind of world destroying power I'd be a gajillionaire living it up my evil lair which I made to look exactly like Snake Mountain. I'm just rolling my eyes at the constant media coverage and fawning Millennials get from the media and the Boomers.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    My wife works for HBO. Her problem with most all of the Millenials there, even when she likes them, is that they all expect to be, at least, mid-level management within two years. When that doesn’t happen for them, they get angry, feel slighted and leave as soon as they can find a new job. They feel the company isn’t being fair to them. It took my wife, and everyone else, years to reach, at least, that level. On top of that, as we know, most workers are not management material. Not everyone can be in charge and run the company. Millenials don’t seem to grasp that. Maybe it’s the whole “everyone’s a winner ... everyone gets a trophy” thing coming home to roost.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    /\
    Oh, agreed. I think 99.9% of the crap you see as news seems to center on how "unfair" someone feels their situation is, and how "unfair" it is that they haven't been lifted out by everyone else. I'd be willing to bet at least half of us on this site were bullied in some way, that our parents weren't highly paid executives, and that more than once mom & dad said no.
    Now you get bullied or called names, post it on youtube and Wolverine will come kiss your booboo.
    Don't earn enough to buy a new car? Show the world your sorry plight on GoFundMe!
    Don't get me wrong, in some situations these are helpful and even worthwhile solutions. But not in every case.

Btw, I think iit's extremely unfair that I don't have any mint condition boxed vintage Megos, and so I'll be setting up a gofundme to enable all of you to donate to help remedy this very unfortunate situation I find myaelf in, THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN!!

Blog Entries
    My wife works in a school where half the teachers are under 30. She doesn't think they're a problem to work with but does notice some little differences like that many want praise for doing their job. They'll say stuff "Look my attendance is on time" and she'll respond "It's supposed to be".

However, she does also praise how health conscious and environmentally concerned they are.

We as a society tend to see and retain the negative much easier and paint a generation with a very broad brush. I hear things about modern teenagers like they're all lazy morons, yet I am surrounded by abundantly clever, well raised ones constantly.

I have a hard time blaming the young for the negatives as well, I think a lot of it is just the parenting model at the time, it was very hands on. While some of the teachers are married or live on their own, she suspects that half still live with their parents and all their meals still made by Mum. These people have jobs that start at 80k and their parents sometimes come with lunchs for them.

My neighbors have two unemployed twenty-something sons, it's "Step Brothers" over there. Dude was hitting the bong in the front yard this morning at 8am. My parents would have never tolerated this and my kids better not test it but these folks seem completely fine with their full nest.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    Great observation. I'd wager quite a few Gen Xers have tech skillsets that are far beyond many Millennials. I think we tend to be more comfortable with desktop computing versus devices. When I was being groomed as a preservice teacher, we were warned that the "Digital Natives" would run circles around us. Yeah, that hasn't happened, in my experience. In my job I see about 50 new kids come through my educational technology facility, and I'm not impressed. Very few of them can navigate a simple operating system. Some of them tap the monitors instinctively, rather than using the mouse. I have yet to meet a young person who truly utilizes the computing power of their phones to create their own audio, artwork, or movies. After growing up with tape recorders, Super8 Cameras, and giant Camcorders, I would've killed for the potential in a smartphone to make my own visual or auditory stories.
    It sounds like we have similar work backgrounds and I bet you and I could talk about this with each other for weeks on end.

I finished my time "working for the man" in State Career Tech. I taught classes intermittently throughout my whole career, but I was primarily tasked with maintaining and installing systems and equipment. Out of necessity, I learned to write training materials when I was in the Navy because with the advent of PC technology and miniaturized system components in the early 90s, changes and innovations made learning materials obsolete before they could be disseminated so we had to make our own. That ultimately led me into instructional design which was perfect for me because it is an area of expertise that is still evolving and being defined. I am very used to being in the territory without a map (not unique in that as a Gen Xer). This is possible for me/us because I/we can see something "new" and decide very quickly how to relate it to something I've/we've seen before because in reality, none of it is truly "new"....it's just reimagined, repurposed, simplified, integrated into something else, or given a new interface. It may be smaller, faster, open sourced, etc., but nothing is truly "new". The internet? We were on usenet and dial-up. We got that this was a better version of "fanzines" and newsletters. We can find information better because we wrestled with boolean search before algorithms got us to where we are now. We were around before Web 2.0. We know NOT to trust Wikipedia implicitly as a source....you need to look deeper than that. We understand the concept of plagiarism because we avoided it in the days before it could be so easily proven. I could go on and on about what the "natives" don't get.

Gen Xers get that about things. AND we also get how problematic the interconnectivity that has evolved can be when it comes to privacy. I could see that coming in the mid-90s (couldn't imagine the multiplier of social media platforms, though) and I know I am not unique in that. Most Boomers can't conceptualize this and Millennials, the "Digital Natives", are so used to it (and immersed in it) they can't see the forrest for trees. And you can see this daily in the news when the social media scandal of the day hits and we wonder how they can be so stupid as to not get the concept of "those aren't pictures....they're evidence!"

So here's to Gen X! Still the only generation that can set a clock on a VCR!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Makernaut View Post

So here's to Gen X! Still the only generation that can set a clock on a VCR!
    Preach it.

I just got to roll my eyes at the idea Gen X doesn't get tech like Millennials. Not only did we bloody well grow up with it, we also have the understanding (and patience ) of growing up with typing out lines of commands to get a program to run and waiting for downloads on dial up. Getting a program to run wasn't easy as just tapping an icon on touch screen.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...