X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Finally met the original Trek crew

The classic Trek actors rarely visit mainland Europe, so when they do, I knew it was "now or never". Especially considering their age.
    So off I went, to Germany, to see Shatner, Koenig and Nichols.
    Meeting Nichelle was great, though she's struggling with her health now. She drew record lines, and at the end she could hardly sign anymore. What a terrific lady.
    Koenig was just as great, in his own, modest way. He noticed my name, and started the conversation himself, asking where I came from. It's odd, in my mind I still see a young Chekov, and here he was, shuffling a bit, quite pale. How old does that make me!
    We had a great chat, and added a good memory.
    Shatner sat way off, as far as he could sit from the other two (150 feet to the left!). I was third in line, and just when it was my turn, he got up and left, only ten minutes into his first signing session. He had said "I'll come back when the line is long".
    His PA said "not sure if he will be back..."
    90 minutes later....
    When he's about to return, the organizer starts to "position" the people in line, because it "must look like a huge crowd to him". He scatters us here and there around the table, and also urges us to applaud when the actor returns.
    So he does, and I'm first in line (have been for 90 minutes). I try to say something to break the ice, "I brought this to sign for a friend, who couldn't be here, as a favor". He replies "I don't think that's much of a favor."
    Huh?
    He quickly signs two items, and I'm left with a heartwarming memory...that of the $85 that left my wallet...
    He signs everything in a matter of minutes, and leaves again. No talking, no handshakes, just a quick and sloppy autograph, and gone.
    I know, he's 87, but the contrast with the others was so huge. All guests assembled for a group photo, except him.
    You know, I love Star Trek, I love Kirk, I love Shatner's portrayal of Kirk, but it ends there.

My favorite moment? Nichelle had a line of 60 people at a certain moment, and that was her final session at the end of a three day weekend, Sunday at 5PM. Now that's someone who gets a lot of love. And that's a memory to keep....

Now somebody get George Takei over here, please! We have lots to talk about....
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I've heard nothing but good things about Nichols. She seems to be a genuinely sweet person. Shatner, well...He seem to have gone through a period of being very grumpy when he was younger, then kind of mellowed and became very funny and more personable and now he is back to being kind of a grump, from what I've read.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

My encounter with Shatner was very quick. Signing and a slight smile as he kind of looked up at me. It wasn't bad, but wasn't anything memorable. I now wish I'd gotten Nichols and Takei the same day, but my time was limited for that con.

My better memory of Shatner that day is when he drove by on a little golf cart thing outside the windows of convention hall, with all his handlers hanging off the side. We were leaning up against the windows taking a break and we all clapped as he came by, and he smiled and waved.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

Great story. I'm sad for Shatner's not-so-endearing energy. Happy for you that you got meet Koenig & Nichols...that's truly wonderful.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I’ve seen the entire crew twice...and twice Shatner behaved like his poo didn’t smell. I personally don’t care much about him as a person...but still like his portrayal of Captain Kirk.

Nichols is a sweetheart, always has been...
          sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Shat came from a generation that would never dream of what fan shows would become and I think it makes them think they're belittling themselves being there.

Younger actors were born into the genre so it's no big deal and almost a guaranteed retirement hobby/job.

I wish this fan climate was around back in the day ... Actors like Bella Lugosi would be living Gods instead of washed up unwanted has beens.

Love Nichelle Nichols --- she was actually an OFFICIAL NASA spokesperson back in the 70's

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

Vulcon did a show in Dallas with Rene Aberjonois. Creation was trying to eliminate the competition and tried to get him to break his contract and come to Houston but he refused ( good for him ). So they brought Shatner in. It was down the street from Hobby Airport. He got off the plane, in the limo, out of the limo, down the hall onto the stage, told stories, walked off of the stage and down the hall and into the limo, back onto the plane and gone. I don't think he was in Houston a full hour. I have not been impressed with him for a long time because he won't sign in public and was not even planning to go in and watch but a friend who was working the show talked me into it. I was in costume. For me, the highlight was all of the people getting up and walking over to take my picture while he was talking and the annoyed look on his face.

On another occasion NASA had 4 Trek stars on 4 weekends; Denise Crosby, John DeLancie, Mark Lenard, and Walter Koenig. They had black and white postcard size pictures you could get signed for free. A dealer waited until the end and got Mark to sign 200 of them for him. At the end his hand was hurting bad but he did not complain. For Walter they limited it to 2 a piece. A lot of people had a lot to say about it. I was standing behind the dealer watching because I knew who he was as people complained about him. That spring our Trek group was on our way up to Lubbock for Starfleet's International Con when we heard on the radio that Mark had passed. Makes you wonder if he signed all of those cards because he knew it was coming.

Btw, that's me directly behind Walter at NASA.

CCC.

Comment

• LordMudd
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
                Shat came from a generation that would never dream of what fan shows would become and I think it makes them think they're belittling themselves being there.

Younger actors were born into the genre so it's no big deal and almost a guaranteed retirement hobby/job.

I wish this fan climate was around back in the day ... Actors like Bella Lugosi would be living Gods instead of washed up unwanted has beens.

Love Nichelle Nichols --- she was actually an OFFICIAL NASA spokesperson back in the 70's
                I saw Michael Forrest( Apollo ) in San Antonio, with France Nguyen and 3 or 4 other guest stars from the original series. He talked about making a lot of westerns and how he was falling off of horses one week and prancing around in a gold lame tutu the next. Later they showed the bloopers, with him daintily walking up to his throne, lifting his 'skirt,' and gently alighting on it, cut to Kirk rolling his eyes and back to him blowing Kirk a kiss. Everyone turned to see the other stars ribbing him in the back of the room.

CCC.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I met Shat and he was brief but warm and endearing. Nichelle Nichols was lovely, and it was after she'd suffered a stroke... she had NO LINE! Just walk right up. I met George Takei when I was about 16 and he was just wonderful as you'd imagine. I met James Doohan, but sadly no pic. He was very kind too.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

What surprises me is when they have Shatner together with Henry Winkler on their series on NBC. Shatner wants nothing to do with fans,Winkler if he could I think he'd go home with the fans.

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

A dealer friend of mine got me a lobby card size photo someone had made of Yvonne Craig from Whom Gods Destroy. I took it to get signed when she came through with the SW Men in the Masks tour. I walked into the hotel to see this huge line all the way back to the lobby! I stuck my head in the door to see how bad it was. The line went around the room and in front of the 3 SW people, who I cared nothing about, and then she was sitting at the end with nobody at her table so I just walked on over. We had a nice 30 minute chat. She signed my picture and commented that she had the opportunity to keep the costume when she left and that this was the first picture of it she had seen in a long time and was glad she didn't.

CCC.

Comment

• VintageMike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2004

Funny when I met Shatner, I must have got him at just the right time. He had done his first session there was only a short line as he due to come back. Handed him the photo asked him to make it me, which gave me a pleasant "all right" and smiled after handing me back the photo. Nothing special but not unpleasant. As I've gone to many of these things I wil say it can be a mixed bad as these folks get up there in age. I met Richard Anderson a few years ago at a show and he was 89 then. First time I've ever felt bad at a show as he was clearly uncomfortable and needed verbal prodding signing his name. When people srat hitting too or get close to thos enumbers I'm happy to see them able and coherant.

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

'Star Trek' star Nichelle Nichols' son says mom needs help (from MSN.)

Nichelle Nichols, 85, the iconic actress known worldwide for playing the beautiful Lieutenant Uhura aboard the USS Enterprise in the "Star Trek" television series from 1966 to 1969, is said to be suffering from severe short-term memory loss and therefore vulnerable, according to her son.

TMZ is reporting that Nichols' son, Kyle Johnson, filed legal documents on May 4, requesting appointment of four trustees to take conservatorship of his mother. This power, if granted, would give these legal guardians control of her finances as well as decisions pertaining to her health.

Johnson contends that these steps are necessary as she has dementia and it is "impacting her executive functioning" as well as makes her "susceptible to undue influence."

Johnson also emphasized that "Certain individuals have unduly exerted themselves into Ms. Nichols' life to her detriment."

Nichols' TV role was one of the first African American female characters on American television who was not portrayed as a servant. Even though she did suffer a mild stroke in 2015, she is however still active with three projects due to come out this year.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^Geez, sounds like Stan Lee all over again.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

When I saw Nichelle just over a week ago, I did get the feeling that some manager was trying to secure all the extra $$$ he could still get from her. She looked so tired. At the end, she could hardly sign anymore.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎