• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by toothaction
    Yup! So much so that it deserves to survive the page flip:
    I'll cheerfully second the vast majority of the list, but there are a few I haven't seen: The House of the Devil is now officially on my own watch list, not sure why I skipped it in the first place, and it's only recently that I've been made aware that Trick 'r Treat is supposedly something special. Gerald's Game simply got buried in the cue, and I still plan to die never having experienced the Evil Dead remake, heh. Sorry, Mark!

I've quite a few more films from the modern era that I enjoyed that could be considered at least horror adjacent, but I'll limit myself to plugging the low budget joys of Benson and Moorhead - Resolution, The Endless and especially Spring - and asking how in the world didn't Let the Right One In make your list? Shocking, ha!
    I think I mentioned in my podcast that Let the Right One In should have been included. I like the American version, too. I missed/miss A LOT of movies in my lists, but I can and will always make new ones.

I'm an unabashed fan of the Evil Dead remake. It's nowhere near a perfect movie, but it's so dagblasted gory I give it two stumps up!

The House of the Devil took me about four watches to fully appreciate, and it's pretty much the only Ti West movie I've liked. I will be watching it again in October for sure.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for the list.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by knight errant00
        Will Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country check off that Kim Cattrall box for the win? Just re-watched that . . .
        Good enough! Almost had to break out Police Academy.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Thank you for the list.
          You bet.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
            Career Member
            • Jul 15, 2017

You know, for as often as I've noticed that a recent film that I really liked was brought to life in part by A24, I hadn't actually looked up a list of all of their productions until today. My to view list just got a good bit longer! I started in on it tonight with De Palma, a rather wonderful doc that's essentially just an annotated longform interview with its titular subject, film director Brian De Palma. Informative, hilarious and resplendent in spoilers for the whole of his 50-year-plus career.

>>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

Welcome to the A24 fan club! I hope they don't implode, explode, or collapse in the relatively-near-future. I love a ton of their output.

And Blow Out is on my list of Top Ten Schlock Favorites.
              Last edited by Iron Mego; Sep 12, '18, 12:00 AM. Reason: added somethin' 'bout Blow Out.
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Watched the movie 'Now You See Me' on cable a few weeks ago and I thought it was fantastic. Now I have to see the 2nd one.

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

Alien: Covenant.

Dumb.
                  >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre

Crappy movie but fun --- and nice to see Traci Lords is still around

1-1/2 stars

Comment

• Godzilla
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 3, 2002

Modus Operandi. It had Danny Trejo in it for like 2 minutes. I'd call it unwatchable. 1/10
                      Mortui Vivos Docent
                      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• toothaction
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 15, 2017

Revenge (Coralie Fargeat, 2017)

An engaging, unsettling and extremely well made film that I'm not sure that I'd recommend to almost anyone. Doubtful that I'd watch it again, but I'll be keeping my eye on the filmmaker for years to come. Talented lady!

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by toothaction
                          Revenge (Coralie Fargeat, 2017)

An engaging, unsettling and extremely well made film that I'm not sure that I'd recommend to almost anyone. Doubtful that I'd watch it again, but I'll be keeping my eye on the filmmaker for years to come. Talented lady!
                          Gonna watch it today!
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Stag Hunt (2015)

Three British buddies take their soon to be married American buddy on a bachelor party-ish hike through the English countryside at which time they notice they are being followed by something that growls very loudy and leaves torn to pieces huge animal carcasses in it's wake.

Decent buddy film sprinkled with chiller elements that build up to a satisfying ending.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Tonight at the Toronto Film Festival I saw Mid90s - naturalistic coming-of-age movie directed by Johan Hill. Great soundtrack and exciting casting — a very impressive first film with lots of brutal and funny moments.

(Probably the last of my fancy-pants festival screenings ---- hopefully next year I'll be lucky enough to get invited to see a couple more.)

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Sole Survivor 1983

This movie gets a lot of credit for being the inspiration for the Final Destination movies. Essentially you have a woman who is the sole survivor of a plane crash. The theme is that although you can cheat death, it will do its best to catch up with you.

Very similar to movies like Carnival of Souls and Messiah of Evil, but less potent, and way more of a slog.

It was fine for its storytelling and theme, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored until the last 20 minutes. It really could've used some more Carpenter style terror and suspense to liven things up.

I'm beginning to find that my tolerance for "slow burn" movies is waning. Don't know what that says about me. But this movie gets a lot of love and respect that I guess I just didn't share.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎