Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

It Follows had potential, but I just couldn't get into the unreal logistics of it.

"It" makes itself look like the guy's mother so it can get close and grab him but when it goes after the girl it makes itself stand out like a sore thumb.

Why doesn't it appear as a UPS guy instead of standing bareazz on her roof ?

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

It appears as her dad, the neighbor kid, and one of her friends, so it doesn't always stand out.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched Spider Baby with Lon Chaney Jr and Sid Haig

Surprisingly not incredibly bad

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

^Not incredibly bad? Spider Baby is wonderful! My favorite of Jack Hill's many excellent Bs.

Had my first look at Return of the Living Dead since the mid '80s last night - holds up great! I'd actually forgotten just about everything about it besides the boobs and the OST, heh.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Spider Baby is a wacky classic!

You know what Toothy, I didn't care much for ROTLD back in the day, horror-comedy ain't my fave, but I watched it last year and really dug it. Heard that part II is kind of a dud, but I may have to check it out eventually.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Spider-Baby is so unique. There's just something off about it. It's like a Tim Burton movie, but in a more raw, unrefined form. I'll watch any Jack Hill movie with Sid Haig.

I watched Porky's for the first time last night. Yeah, I'd never seen it before. It's easily been topped since then by vulgarity, but I enjoyed it for the charm and heart that you find in a Bob Clark movie. The characters do have a way of winning you over. Plus young Kim Cattral.

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Iron Mego's list is great! I really want to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer because I absolutely loved The Lobster. Did you see/enjoy Annihilation?

I thought Toni Collette was fantastic in Heredity, but even when she's in terrible things I think she's great.

I should check out Spider Baby.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                  I watched Porky's for the first time last night. Yeah, I'd never seen it before. It's easily been topped since then by vulgarity, but I enjoyed it for the charm and heart that you find in a Bob Clark movie. The characters do have a way of winning you over. Plus young Kim Cattral.
                  I completely agree with you about Porky's. "Politically incorrect" on so many levels, but I think it's got a lot more sincerity and honesty than most give it credit for. Especially for an 80s teen sex comedy.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

BlacKkKlansman 8/10
                    An enjoyable retelling of the true story about two cops who infiltrate the Klan in Colorado during the 1970s. Kind of played out as a bit of a dark comedy and some of the characters seem a bit cartoonish but maybe that's accurate? Still found it very compelling.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Last Night: Big Trouble in Little China 9/10

"It's all in the reflexes."

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Brazoo
                        I completely agree with you about Porky's. "Politically incorrect" on so many levels, but I think it's got a lot more sincerity and honesty than most give it credit for. Especially for an 80s teen sex comedy.
                        Yes, and for a politically incorrect era (80s) depicting an even more politically incorrect time (50s), the film was pretty forward thinking with its subplot of two characters coming to terms with one's racism and prejudice towards the other. Didn't expect that.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
                          Last Night: Big Trouble in Little China 9/10

"It's all in the reflexes."

I could watch that movie any day and never get bored with it. Hey, two consecutive Kim Cattral films in the thread! Who's gonna watch Mannequin for the trifecta?

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Iron Mego's list is great! I really want to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer because I absolutely loved The Lobster. Did you see/enjoy Annihilation?

I thought Toni Collette was fantastic in Heredity, but even when she's in terrible things I think she's great.

I should check out Spider Baby.
                            Thanks! The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one of my favorites from last year. Top 5 for sure.

I haven't seen Annihilation yet, but will. I really like Ex Machina, so I'm up for watching this.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 15, 2017

Iron Mego's list is great!
                              Yup! So much so that it deserves to survive the page flip:
                              Originally posted by Iron Mego
                              --The Killing of a Sacred Deer

--The Blackcoat's Daughter

--Berberian Sound Studio

--10 Cloverfield Lane

--The House of the Devil (2009)

--We Are Still Here

--Trick 'r Treat (2007)

--Gerald's Game

--Don't Breathe

--You're Next

--Starry Eyes (gets pretty violent and gory at the end)

--Southbound

--It Follows

--Hereditary

--The VVitch

--Evil Dead (remake, super gory!)

--Kill List (super violent)
                              I'll cheerfully second the vast majority of the list, but there are a few I haven't seen: The House of the Devil is now officially on my own watch list, not sure why I skipped it in the first place, and it's only recently that I've been made aware that Trick 'r Treat is supposedly something special. Gerald's Game simply got buried in the cue, and I still plan to die never having experienced the Evil Dead remake, heh. Sorry, Mark!

I've quite a few more films from the modern era that I enjoyed that could be considered at least horror adjacent, but I'll limit myself to plugging the low budget joys of Benson and Moorhead - Resolution, The Endless and especially Spring - and asking how in the world didn't Let the Right One In make your list? Shocking, ha!
                              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• knight errant00
                                8 Inch Action Figure
                                • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
                                I could watch that movie any day and never get bored with it. Hey, two consecutive Kim Cattral films in the thread! Who's gonna watch Mannequin for the trifecta?
                                Will Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country check off that Kim Cattrall box for the win? Just re-watched that . . .

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎