Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Been testing a lot of VHS tapes to put up on Ebay and I watched the 1944 Otto Preminger's noir film called Laura. Definitely a 10 on a scale from 1 - 10. Somewhat expected the ending...but the twists keep you in the film as does the BEAUTIFUL Gene Tierney. Music also keeps you interested in the film. Classic movie that everyone should see.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Akira (1988): I hadn't watched the film since college, and in that time, the film got a remaster, and a brand new dub track, that is a closer translation of the original Japanese. That made the plot much easier to follow, and the film overall is a much richer experience. The original Dub is on this edition as an option, as is the original Japanese Language track, so you can view it how you see fit.

If you enjoy that cyberpunk vibe, love oldschool anime, and just want a great flick, this one serves it all in abundance. On a scale of 1-10, it's an 11. There's a reason it consistently tops the list of best anime films.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
        I just pulled this off the shelf to watch again. Its one of the few movies I own. I love the seen on the water slide where Rockwell needs a hero. I see your 7.5/10 ad raise it to 8.5. I'm a sucker for this kind of semi-indy sap.
        Ditto to both of you. But I'll raise you Allison Janney steals every scene she's in.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
          Been testing a lot of VHS tapes to put up on Ebay and I watched the 1944 Otto Preminger's noir film called Laura. Definitely a 10 on a scale from 1 - 10. Somewhat expected the ending...but the twists keep you in the film as does the BEAUTIFUL Gene Tierney. Music also keeps you interested in the film. Classic movie that everyone should see.
          One of my favorites. Waldo Lydecker is a quite a character, and Tierney is indeed stunning. I almost always like Dana Andrews, too--he's good in Laura and Price plays against type.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

As I was watching the video I got freaked out with what looked like an edit around 20 minutes into the movie. I thought to myself now I can't put the tape up because it was edited. Turns out the tape wasn't spliced...it was the original edit of the film. It seems they took out about 1 minute and 6 seconds where Lydecker is telling the detective the story of how he first laid eyes on Laura and how their relationship progressed. Right from the Wiki page:

"In a deleted scene (1:06) with benefactor Webb, "... the beautiful Tierney was placed in a more feminine role model, and in the end it was decided to delete her for the cinema release of the film." The scene was restored on January 14, 2019, and presented as an "extended version" on DVD releases."

If you watch the scene on the VHS versions of the movie or Laserdisc version of the movie it's right where Lydecker says "But Tuesday and Thursday nights we stayed home..."

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Interesting, did not realize that. I've been watching it regularly on TCM, where it's likely now intact.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

"Death Wish" remake with Bruce Willis. Pretty good movie: I'd give it a 3.5/5

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Never seen it but heard a lot about it... Back in the late 70's when I was in high school people used to get together and watch it with props and stuff at local theatre events promoted by my local rock station.

Finally watched it the other night on Hulu

Am I missing something ?

I think Little Shop of Horrors (1986) was 10 zillion times better

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey

Never seen it but heard a lot about it... Back in the late 70's when I was in high school people used to get together and watch it with props and stuff at local theatre events promoted by my local rock station.

Am I missing something ?

I was fortunate enough to see it the way it was meant to be seen: Midnight theater showing with fans dressed in costume on stage, screaming out funny lines, an audience throwing toast and rice and getting out of their seats to dance the Time Warp in the aisles. There was even the gathering of "virgins" at the start, that were taken to the front and mocked. I'm not sure why the theater put up with that nonsense, but I'm sure glad they did. The movie itself is almost unwatchable on TV.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I tried watching it with my wife and kids on Halloween last year. I think we lasted maybe 5 minutes. it really is an awful movie

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

…Am I missing something ?
                        Yeah, the live audience! There are still many troupes across the country (and around the planet) that offer the full on experience.

From theatre to theater, and with a great soundtrack. The *movie* is just a study guide for the midnight madness.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Hubie Halloween, Adam Sandler's latest, on Netflix.

Don't judge me, I generally like Sandler's juvenile humor, and always have. My daughter and I enjoyed watching it and got some good laughs out of it. It actually has a good Halloween vibe to it, and homages a lot of sources, and has cameos and appearances by just about everyone you can think of, so they must enjoy working with the guy. I do sometimes wonder how Ray Liotta went from Goodfellas to this, though...

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Am I missing something ?

It's not about the movie itself. I admit the film is ridiculous, and lacking plot...but the music, the scenario (a spoof of classic monster and B-Movie fare) is still fun.

Tim Curry is amazing, and the film really does get better when you watch it a few times, are familiar with the timing, and don't take it seriously...but the true experience is seeing it in the theater with the live audience, knowing the lines, and causing havoc.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

For Rocky Horror, i'm not turned off by Curry's character and performance -- IMO he's the only reason I was able to sit to the end... His charm and charisma can even make a turkey watchable.

It's the movie itself … It's BORING

I love movies that are so bad they're good but "Rocky" was just boring -- including 80% of the songs (which happened too often)

That said, Meatloaf and his song was a nice surprise

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

RH isn't for everybody, it's fun to see it in a theatre and it certainly has a big following but yeah, it's not for me either. It seems to be one of those things people are either hot or cold on.

Don't judge me, I generally like Sandler's juvenile humor, and always have. My daughter and I enjoyed watching it and got some good laughs out of it. It actually has a good Halloween vibe to it, and homages a lot of sources, and has cameos and appearances by just about everyone you can think of, so they must enjoy working with the guy. I do sometimes wonder how Ray Liotta went from Goodfellas to this, though...
                                My son and I watched this because we assumed it would be terrible and we could riff on it. It's an amiable kid's Halloween special and I laughed out loud twice, so I can't poop on it.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎