Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Hereditary--9/10. Really, really liked this one. It definitely did scary they way I like scary. There are no jump scares, although a couple well-timed "clucks" startled me, but lots and lots of, "What the !@#$ is that in the corner???" stuff which I love! It made me think of some of my favorite horror movies from years past, without being derivative. Glad I was able to see it in a theater, and will be anxiously awaiting the Blu-Ray release.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

^ Same.

Talk about a movie that gets under your skin and stays there for days. Very, very effective; and very, very scary in an unconventional way. I usually like my entertainment light, silly, with a splash of garish color, but there's no denying this was a powerful experience.

I really recommend anyone considering it, see it late at night with a full theater. Like Iron Mego said, it's not lots of gasps and jump scares, but it will disturb you.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Pacific Rim Uprising 6/10

The original isn't a masterpiece but it's a really well-done popcorn movie. This just doesn't work for me although it sets up a third that would have been an interesting premise.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
          Hail, Caesar! - I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan but I missed this in its theatrical run because it was out very close to when my kid was due. For some reason it's taken me this long to catch up with it.

Some of the ideas are just brilliant and a few of the scenes were fantastic - it didn't quite completely gel for me, but the ending wrapped things up so nicely that it's hard for me to really complain about it.

I haven't seen Solo, but I really enjoyed Alden Ehrenreich in this. (I didn't even remember he was in this.)
          Ok that's weird man I just watched this for the first time at almost the same day. Same takeaways as you too, really liked Ehrenreich.

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Iron Mego
            Hereditary--9/10. Really, really liked this one. It definitely did scary they way I like scary. There are no jump scares, although a couple well-timed "clucks" startled me, but lots and lots of, "What the !@#$ is that in the corner???" stuff which I love! It made me think of some of my favorite horror movies from years past, without being derivative. Glad I was able to see it in a theater, and will be anxiously awaiting the Blu-Ray release.
            I enjoyed this one as well and Toni Collette was outstanding (as always).

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Mad Mission (AKA Aces go Places) 7/10- I haven't seen these oddball Hong Kong action movies since I was a kid but I found the box set on the weekend. I was overjoyed to discover that it's still a really fun movie, very silly but I can see why it was a hit that spawned five sequels.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched a movie I surprisingly liked.

9 Miles Down …(2009)

Scientists are drilling through the Earth's crust and may have broken into hell.

Not a gorefest, more of a psychological thriller with some scary parts.

Also stars an exceptionally hot actress.

If you wanna watch, it's free on the tubi site.

Comment

• Duncan
                  Museum focus-groupie
                  • Jun 27, 2009

Ant Man & Wasp - I'd go A/A-. It's a light Marvel, kind of funny, and not too demanding. For what it is - a light Marvel B-list hero movie - it was fine. Good writing, acting & directing. I advise seeing it at a drive-in.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

Those three names...either horror or the world's creepiest Rom Com.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                      The name says it all!
                      • Dec 3, 2007

A Quiet Place 8/10

Just watched it this weekend. Best movie I have seen in years.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Love in the Afternoon (1957) - I'm a huge Billy Wilder fan, but I hadn't seen this one yet. Not his best, but it's got moments. A lot of people think Gary Cooper was miscast and I totally agree. This might be the first Cooper performance I didn't enjoy. Watching it I thought it would have worked better with Carry Grant and apparently he was offered the roll first but he turned it down.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Extinction (2018) - It's a Netflix sci-fi feature. I usually enjoy Michael Peña and Lizzy Caplan, but their characters are so dull in this movie. I have no idea why two really entertaining actors took such dull rolls. I really did not like this movie and I can't say more without giving away the plot. Ugh.

Having said that, the other two I saw it with both liked it more than I did, but none of us loved it.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Upgrade (2018) 8/10 really enjoyed it, started a thread in the Science Fiction forum. Seek it out.

Future World (2018)- James Franco made a post apocolyptic science fiction film, it has all the trappings of early 80s Italian movies but looks bigger budget and is nicely shot.

It's also incredibly slow. I can't rate it because i only lasted 40 minutes. I should have been all over it.

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Snowbeast (1977) Great little made-for-TV Bigfoot movie centered around a Colorado ski lodge. Plenty of skier mutilations.

Lots of stars in it too...Yvette Mimieux, Sylvia Sidney, Bo Svenson, Clint Walker

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                                A Quiet Place 8/10

Just watched it this weekend. Best movie I have seen in years.
                                Best movie you’ve seen in years?

I graciously DISAGREE A TRILLION QUADRILLION TIMES!!!!

It was a good movie, don’t get me wrong, and I love Emily Blunt...but the movie had a ton of plot holes, I was screaming at the screen in frustration, lol.

Spoiling plot holes:

All that stuff was driving me bonkers...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎