X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
    I finally watched Toy Story 4 on Disney+ (my wife took the kids to see it in the theatre when it came out but I couldn't go). It was good, but IMO the least of the four films. It was still a funny and entertaining watch and had a lot of heart. So maybe 7/10 for me?

I've been hearing good things about it. Netflix films can be hit or miss, but I'll give this one a try.
    Cool!!!
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by drquest
      We watched that and I liked it, but my wife hated it.... Oh well
      It’s a guy movie, not a chick one, lol...
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Just watched John Henry starring Terry Crews...

I like Terry Crews. I like the John Henry folklore.

But holy mother of gawd...the movie itself was awful, just awful. Trust me, I was fast-forwarding through most of this mess.

It’s slow, plodding, cringy, corny, pointless, boring, just bad, bad, bad, etc. The journeyman director will probably never direct another movie ever again, lol.

I should’ve listened to Rotten Tomatoes....

A quiet man with a violent past has his life changed when an immigrant girl who is on the run from gang violence in South Los Angeles stumbles into his life.

O/10. Yes, this pile of krap gets a big fat ZERO stars. One of the worst flicks I’ve ever seen.

Rapper Ludacris wears the most bizarre side chin grill I’ve ever seen. It was appropriate for his name, ludicrous, lol...

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I just recently saw Kagemusha on FXM. I think I'd enjoy The Hidden Fortress.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I just recently saw Kagemusha on FXM. I think I'd enjoy The Hidden Fortress.
            I saw FX was airing that, and set the DVR for it, but I haven't seen it before. I still have a bunch of Kurosawa films to watch that I recorded when they did the Mifune marathon on TCM a couple months back. Kagemush is just added to the cheque.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

re-watched Backbeat last night in honor of Astrid kircherr's passing. still a really good early Beatles movie. holds up really well even 26 years later. the soundtrack is not great, I think they could have done better with the singers sounding closer to the Beatles but the movie works. Sheryl Lee is gorgeous. the actors playing John and Paul were good. In fact I had not realized, until I looked it up, that the actor playing John was Prof. Quirrel, In the first Harry Potter movie

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
                Continuing my Kurosawa/Mifune kick, watched the Hidden Fortress this afternoon...

-M
                OH man - I LOVE Kurosawa and I PVR'ed a bunch of his movies on TCM a few weeks ago. I caught Drunken Angel for the first time. Maybe not my favourite of his but it's amazing to see how fantastic Takashi Shimura, Mifune and Kurosawa are together right away!

--

From Beyond (1986) - watched this late last night. I didn't realize the whole Re-Animator gang got back together for this one! I loved how the cast was 1,000% committed to all the insanity.

Eighth Grade (2018) - I absolutely loved this movie. I found it terrifying, funny, frustrating - I was extremely lonely at that age too and it hit a few nerves for me.

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956) - Directed by Fritz Lang, but you'd never guess by watching it. A writer purposely frames himself for murder to demonstrate the flaw of having the death penalty and then obviously there are a few twists to this plan. Kind of fun if you like mid-50s film noir - but it was mostly a turkey. Looks like it was re-made in 2009 with Micahel Douglas. I assume just the bones of the story though.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  re-watched Backbeat last night in honor of Astrid kircherr's passing. still a really good early Beatles movie. holds up really well even 26 years later. the soundtrack is not great, I think they could have done better with the singers sounding closer to the Beatles but the movie works. Sheryl Lee is gorgeous. the actors playing John and Paul were good. In fact I had not realized, until I looked it up, that the actor playing John was Prof. Quirrel, In the first Harry Potter movie
                  I thought of that movie when I saw she died too! I saw that one in the theatre (probably mostly to see Sheryl Lee, because I am a huge Twin Peaks fan). That actor played John Lennon in another movie too - called The Hours and Times. (I never saw it, but remember hearing it was very good at the time.)

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

I did not know that Brazoo. the actor that played Paul also played Paul in the Linda McCartney story

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Hmm, I really like the soundtrack/band for Backbeat for capturing the raw and fun energy in a way that more *accurate* recreations of the Beatles often don't. Which has me thinking about watching The Commitments (1991) again…

What's really important here is that I back-to-back watched/re-watched The Lighthouse (2019)- 8/10 and Amelie (2001) - 9/10… what a wild yin-yang 3 1/2 hours that was! I've feel the power of redemption this morning as I was dirty and then made clean!

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Brazoo
                        OH man - I LOVE Kurosawa and I PVR'ed a bunch of his movies on TCM a few weeks ago. I caught Drunken Angel for the first time. Maybe not my favourite of his but it's amazing to see how fantastic Takashi Shimura, Mifune and Kurosawa are together right away!

--

From Beyond (1986) - watched this late last night. I didn't realize the whole Re-Animator gang got back together for this one! I loved how the cast was 1,000% committed to all the insanity.

Eighth Grade (2018) - I absolutely loved this movie. I found it terrifying, funny, frustrating - I was extremely lonely at that age too and it hit a few nerves for me.

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956) - Directed by Fritz Lang, but you'd never guess by watching it. A writer purposely frames himself for murder to demonstrate the flaw of having the death penalty and then obviously there are a few twists to this plan. Kind of fun if you like mid-50s film noir - but it was mostly a turkey. Looks like it was re-made in 2009 with Micahel Douglas. I assume just the bones of the story though.
                        Yeah, I DVRed that whole marathon in honor of Tifune's 100th birthday, and I am watching my way through it. I only skipped recording Yojimbo as I have the Criterion DVD. I've only gotten through the first 3 from the marathon so far.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

I did not know that Brazoo. the actor that played Paul also played Paul in the Linda McCartney story

Cool - I didn't know that!

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Heh, I was thinking of watching it again for that reason as well. I last saw it around 10 years ago and it still held up for me then.

Originally posted by Brazoo
                            Oh yeah, I remember when it first came out I specifically wanted to watch it because of this. "What, another Lovecraft film by the Re-Animator crew? Yes please!" It wasn't as good, but still a fun film, I need to rewatch it myself.

I started to watch Eli Roth's The Green Inferno last night, as I've never seen it and was in a mood for a cannibal film. I bailed out after the first 30 minutes, the acting was terrible, and there were no likable characters. Does it get better or did I dodge a bullet?

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Worth it for the cinematography alone.

First story was the best imo

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

rewatched Rise of Silver Surfer because it was on TV while I was working on documents.

I really disliked both FF movies and saw both at the theater and again on DVD.

I have to say that i dislike it less this time around. there are still problems with it, but the craptastic acting/writing for Doom is the only part I hated about it today.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎