• Aug 9, 2001

"Goodbye Uncle Tom"

free on tubi --- probably the ultimate "what da f did I just watch?" movie

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

The Bog (1979)

A movie about a swamp monster terrorizing the back woods of Wisconsin and I never seen this before? I am so there. Cheap rubber suit monster that is so bad you don't ever really get a close look at it mixed with some really bad acting and a make out scene with the two older scientists. It is sooooooo gloriously bad it must be seen to believed. Oh, I almost forgot the cringy "Walk with me" theme song. I recommend it.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

Future Man, as much as this isnt some thought provoking series, it was certainly a cheesy fun escape, and only 3 seasons so worth a binge.

Gangs of London, it does get a bit far fetched with a 9/11 situation, but seriously violent and addictive. Series 2 should follow soon.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Super 8

Didn't like it …

Liked the kids interaction which brought back memories of Stand By Me, It and even Goonies but it didn't mix with the heavy violence …

It's like who was this movie made for ?

Toward the end I thought the movie redeemed itself by having the innocent kidnapped victims actually alive in the cave only to have the monster kill them on screen.

Only watch if you like violence and a lot of lens flare

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
            Super 8

Didn't like it …

Liked the kids interaction which brought back memories of Stand By Me, It and even Goonies but it didn't mix with the heavy violence …

It's like who was this movie made for ?

Toward the end I thought the movie redeemed itself by having the innocent kidnapped victims actually alive in the cave only to have the monster kill them on screen.

Only watch if you like violence and a lot of lens flare

I absolutely hated that movie. I think you're right - emotionally the tone felt way off. What I remember most is thinking the kids see all this crazy other worldly stuff and seem to have zero curiosity about it. It's like it's drawing on all these 80s movie references but missing that the whole point of those movies was to create a sense of wonder for the audience through the reactions of the little kids. The kids in Super 8 seemed bummed out - it was weird. I usually think JJ's movies lack an understanding of certain types of emotion, in general. For example, Leia ignores Chewie after Han is killed. It's just weird. No?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I liked Super 8. thought it was a fun movie. but I haven't seen it in a long time. maybe I should give it another go and see if my opinion changes

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Caught up on a few movies this week:

The Hunt - super fun - especially the performances. Great soundtrack to boot.

Uncut Gems - finally got around to it. Great movie. I have to check out Good Time soon.

Contagion - never saw it originally but it seems like the right time to catch up, right? I generally like Soderbergh movies. I think he's super smart and he's a great filmmaker and this was no exception.

Logan Lucky - another Soderbergh. Really fun. And another great soundtrack!

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Mikey
                  "Goodbye Uncle Tom"

free on tubi --- probably the ultimate "what da f did I just watch?" movie
                  Wow, that's on Tubi? I remember back in the old VHS days, that movie was as rare as a hen's tooth and very infamous, everyone into cult films had heard of it (it was from the makers of Mondo Cane) but few had actually seen it. When I finally got a copy through tape trading I had an incredible feeling of accomplishment (which didn't mean much when it finally got an official release on DVD). At any rate, what a crazy film that is!

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Extraction with Chris Hemsworth...wow...what a great ride of a movie. Picture John Wick and Jason Bourne having a baby, yeah, sort of like that.

I loved it!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

watched JoJo Rabbit again last night. it really is such a great little movie. funny, yet poignant. not easy to put humor into such dark subject matter

Comment

• apes3978
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 19, 2005

"Rocketman"- I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

I finally watched Toy Story 4 on Disney+ (my wife took the kids to see it in the theatre when it came out but I couldn't go). It was good, but IMO the least of the four films. It was still a funny and entertaining watch and had a lot of heart. So maybe 7/10 for me?

Originally posted by Hector
                          Extraction with Chris Hemsworth...wow...what a great ride of a movie. Picture John Wick and Jason Bourne having a baby, yeah, sort of like that.

I loved it!!!
                          I've been hearing good things about it. Netflix films can be hit or miss, but I'll give this one a try.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

The Toxic Avenger -- -- 1984

Still funny as it was 35-ish years ago

Still scratching my head how a crazy low budget super raunchy black comedy which features adults murdering children and then photographing their bodies to masturbate to got made into a Saturday Morning cartoon ?

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hector

I loved it!!!
                              We watched that and I liked it, but my wife hated it.... Oh well
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

Continuing my Kurosawa/Mifune kick, watched the Hidden Fortress this afternoon...

I had not seen this one before, but was aware of it through discussions of its influence on George Lucas. I quite enjoyed it and I tried to take it in on its own merits and not to focus on picking out the bits Lucas riffed off of in the various Star Wars films over the years (which proved difficult as some were blatantly obvious and one seen reminded me of a scene from Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom). Even without its role in Star Wars lore, this was a magnificent film. It felt and looked a little different from the two earlier offerings I watched, and felt more akin to Seven Samurai and Yojimbo which were the only Kursosawa films I remember having seen before I started this block of films. It featured strong characters, an engaging story and stunning visual work.

-M
                                Last edited by MRP; May 15, '20, 7:35 PM.
                                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎