Official Rate the last movie you watched thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apenutncc1701
    • Aug 9, 2009

Watched the 1974 version of Dracula with Jack Palance on Tubi. I hadn't seen it since it was originally broadcast. Wow! It was even better than I remembered. He is one of my four favorite Draculas along with Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and Frank Langella. I liked how he played the part as a tragic figure longing for his long lost love, but still very menacing and evil. The rest of the cast was great too.

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

We watched a horror movie called Midsommer last night.

Beautifully shot, but yikes... very unsettling.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 24, 2020

im checking this out on tubi tv

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          We watched a horror movie called Midsommer last night.

Beautifully shot, but yikes... very unsettling.
          I wondered about that one, I admire original The Wicker Man.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Spider Baby (1968): 6/10

Wow, apologies as I was way late to this insane party! After a three-day Pam Grier bender, I had to check out this *other* Jack Hill film. Clearly a simultaneous horror homage and the inspiration for several contemporary genre. Much has been written about this movie, so I won't belabor its cult status… just check it out.

Comment

• Mongoose1983
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2010

Originally posted by apenutncc1701
              Watched the 1974 version of Dracula with Jack Palance on Tubi. I hadn't seen it since it was originally broadcast. Wow! It was even better than I remembered. He is one of my four favorite Draculas along with Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and Frank Langella. I liked how he played the part as a tragic figure longing for his long lost love, but still very menacing and evil. The rest of the cast was great too.
              I got the DVD a couple of years ago. First seen it on TV back in 1983 I believe. I like all of the vampire movies until the 90's decade, but the Dan Curtis directed Jack Palance Dracula stands out as one of the most sensational in the genre. Palance took very seriously his role. The movie still pulls some emotion. A lost gem for sure!
              www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

The Irishman

Didn't hate it but didn't love it either … I didn't think it was possible for a Scorsese mob movie to not have one quotable line but there it is.

The de-aging stuff didn't bother me, to me everybody looked old with or without computer software

Best thing about the movie was Pacino -- He was like the only actor who seemingly had a good time making this movie

Everybody else (especially DeNiro and Pesci) came off as bored and just working for the paycheck.

If you want to see a decent Jimmy Hoffa movie, the Jack Nicholson/Danny DeVito one is a lot better.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

hey Mike, good to see you back, hope you're feeling better.

I liked the Irishman but it was way too long. I think it was one of those vanity projects that some film makers do

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Day of the Siege. About the Battle of Vienna in 1683 involving the combined forces of the Holy Roman Empire and the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth vs Ottoman Empire.

I really wanted to like it...as I love historical-based war movies. But oh boy...

Low budget affair with bad CGI cannon blasts and smoke. The battles are slow and ponderous. The dialogue right out of the 50s. The direction is horrid. The acting was bad, really bad. Hilarious in fact. You think I’m lying? Get a load of this gem of a scene:

Yes, I made my first ever YouTube videos just for this, lol...

Was I lying?

Poor F Murray Abraham...having to keep a straight face amongst all the bad acting...

Last edited by Hector; Apr 26, '20, 4:04 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Diabolique/Les Diaboliques (1955): 8/10

… been catching up on classic French cinema (while simultaneously binging on Blaxsploitation & Kung Fu movies!) and this Henri-Georges Clouzot thriller/murder mystery does not disappoint! Need to catch The Wages of Fear next.
                      Last edited by Confessional; Apr 26, '20, 11:34 AM. Reason: … feeding the furnace!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

OMG I LOVE that film. Even the preface is brilliant. I have the Criterion version on DVD.

Have you see Les Yeux sans Visage? Any Nouvelle Vague?

On the opposite end of the spectrum I've been revisiting M. Hulot and Jacques Demy.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yeah, lots to appreciate!

Haven't seen Nouvelle Vague (but do love the band!) yet, but yes on Les Yeux sans Visage… although it's been years, that's creeptastic face-grafting madness!

For an exhibition I collaborated with a movie memorabilia collector who was a huge Jacques Tati fan, so I know about Hulot.

Demy, ah, I just remembered you love musicals. I kinda remember The Pied Piper… have a fav/recommendation?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Well, I can never pass up The Umbrellas of Cherbourg--it's mundane story, but poignantly & beautifully told/sung. The Young Girls of Rochefort is lighter, frothy fun--I think of it as kind of the French equvalent of "Grease"

In Nouvelle Vague/New Wave, I was referring to the genre.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

I saw "White Lightning" and "Gator" pop up on Amazon Prime, so I made a double-feature of them Saturday night. Neither of them are great movies, but I found them both fun to watch. Reminded me of a time when they would make a movie to be entertaining, even if there was no inherent "meaning" to be dug out of it. Burt Reynolds was great in both movies, as he always was. I will say that the significance for me, in either movie, was seeing the little seeds of what blossomed into "Smokey and the Bandit", all the way down to Burt's wardrobe in some of the scenes in "Gator" being almost exactly what he wore in "Smokey and the Bandit". Just needed the hat.

Something of note: The ending scene of "Gator" where Burt and Lauren Hutton say their goodbyes....is an exact reversal in roles of the scene in "ESB" where Leia tells Han she loves him. It was a little bit of a gut-punch, but probably only in retrospect. I doubt audiences in 1976 felt it like I did because I based my feeling on a movie that came out 4 years later.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

Call of the Wild with Harrison Ford. 6/10. good family movie but it was definitely lacking. the dog is completely CGI so they could give facial expression. not a bad movie but nothing special either. Ford narrates throughout the movie but barely appears until around half way through

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎