Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

… watching Return of the One-Armed Swordsman (1969) on El Rey (Kung Fu weekends are forever fun!), the opening credits with weapon montage is awesome!

Comment

• Mongoose1983
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2010

Now with the lockdown I had the chance to watch a couple of movies, and many classic tennis and football (soccer) matches.

I saw BOBBY DEERFIELD (Al Pacino, 1977) again, now with the Sydney Pollack (director) commentary. I got to learn incredible bits about the production, and location, and also about Al Pacino himself, like he had to learn to drive because of the movie. Not only that, he fell in love with Marthe Keller and lived together for five years since then. This movie is absolutely amazing, I don't know why Americans never seem to get it. Perhaps because it was shot in Europe? But seriously, this is Al Pacino at his VERY best. His acting skills are truly one of a kind on this one. Isn't him the greatest movie actor from the XXth century by now?

I also saw SKIN DEEP (John Ritter, 1989), too. Directed by Blake Edwards, this movie is fantastic in the way it deals with a pretty complex problem but in a mega hilarious way. I laughed so hard I had pains a day after, and yet come to think about life. It's a great movie. Most people remember this one because of the condoms' scene, but for sure is much more than that. And John Ritter (R.I.P). was a much better actor and comedian than most people think, or used to think about back then.
      www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Confessional
        … watching Return of the One-Armed Swordsman (1969) on El Rey (Kung Fu weekends are forever fun!), the opening credits with weapon montage is awesome!
        I miss El Rey.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The Creeping Terror (1964). Considered one of the worst movies ever made. Worse than Plan 9. It is terrible as its legend claims and I highly recommend it.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

I watched another of the Kurosawa/Tifune movies I recorded from TCM for the celebration of Tifune's 100th birthday.

Stray Dogs (1949)

Noirish crime story of a rookie cop who has his gun pickpocketed on a bus and his efforts to track down the gun with the aid of a veteran cop before the trail of carnage becomes too great. It's another strong Kurosawa film. Some great characters, poignant moments, and beautifully filmed. If you like other Kurosawa films, or are a fan of noir of crime stories, you will definitely enjoy this, but worth checking out even if you are not a fan of any of those.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Come Drink With Me (1966)

I've fallen deep into the Kung Fu rabbit hole but I thought this film is worth mentioning. It really is a beautifully shot, wonderfully choreographed movie. This comes back from a time when martial arts films still relied more heavily on weapons battle than punches and kicks. Not a better or worse time, mind you, just a bit different. I think this may be one of the first movies to introduce the archetype of the drunken tramp who is really a martial arts master. Definitely worth a view if like Hong Kong films. A-
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Apositive
                Career Member
                • Apr 3, 2011

RED SONJA (1985)

It's not a good movie, no where near as good as either Conan film, but I like it. A fun, entertaining adventure flick.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Been renting tons of newer movies.

Underwater...surprisingly good. A nice homage to Alien. Not a fan of Kristen Stewart, but she was decent here. I’m claustrophobic and felt the massive enclosure and enormous water pressure above the research/drilling facility.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

Hunt for the WilderPeople. It's a film by Taika Waititi. I had never heard of it but yesterday was my daughters birthday and so she chose that. it was a funny, quirky little movie. 9/10. typical of his films there is a moral behind the humor and quirkiness. the kid from Deadpool 2 was in it and also Sam Neil.

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Downsizing/ Started rough. Great movie overall.

Ocean's 12. I took 16 years to finally see it. I thought 11 was a decent film. 12 was unwatchable. How did they squander that much credit? I made almost half way through before I cut my losses. Spoilers please.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        The Creeping Terror (1964). Considered one of the worst movies ever made. Worse than Plan 9. It is terrible as its legend claims and I highly recommend it.
                        Really fun story behind the making of it, I'm shocked that someone hasn't made a movie about it. Well, a good movie, there is a documentary but it's a hard watch.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Fantasy Island 5/10- Blumhouse trying to make horror out of the old series, some good ideas in there mixed with some predictable jump scares and a convoluted plot. I like Michael Pena but he doesn't have the gravitas to play a man of mystery like Roarke. This could have worked.

Arcard 5/10- Fullmoon movie from 1994 about a killer arcade game, the CG looked dated and weird when it was new but now, it's a nice little time capsule. I had a crush on Megan Ward back in the day so I checked it out. Meh.

Freaked 8/10- Underrated and still quite funny comedy by Alex Winter. This should have been a big hit instead of video store sleeper. Plus Megan Ward!
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Apositive
                            RED SONJA (1985)

It's not a good movie, no where near as good as either Conan film, but I like it. A fun, entertaining adventure flick.
                            I agree. And for its time I was happy to have it since there were few comic movie alternatives.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Even better than I had remembered. It has aged very well.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• great_chandel
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2, 2015

"Cop Car" with Kevin Bacon. The film was pretty good. Then again, I am a huge Kevin Bacon fan -- just a terrific actor! Once I saw him in the original "Friday the 13th," one of his first films, I was an instant fan! On a side note, I love playing Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon. That is a fantastic party game!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎