Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      we watched 1917 last night. what a well done movie. really showed a bit of the horrors of trench warfare in WW1. 10/10

commenting on Brimstone again, my wife actually had nightmares after we watched it, she was so disturbed by it. the preacher was really a sick, twisted and sadistic monster. Guy Pearce really did an outstanding job in the role
      Yeah, Brimstone is one hellish Western. Guy Pearce should be on the Mt Rushmore of movie villains.

How you liked that intestines necklace?

sigpic

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

I really enjoyed his performance in Memento. Such a great movie, but so underrated.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I wanted to watch Cats because of the absurdity. After your review, I'm not sure I have the endurance.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Just rented “1917”

Wow... just wow.

The story is bare bones but great. Fantastic score, cinematography, and the way they shot this thing is simply amazing. It’s almost one continuous shot which keeps the tension ratcheted up throughout.

It will make you thankful for your lot in life after seeing what that generation went through.

Comment

• alex
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 15, 2009

The Hunt, Im sure this is a under the rader film, certainly worth a watch

Bloodshot, I was after a popcorn flick, not even out of boredom do I recommend this turd.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

Kingdom.

It was a live action film based upon the Anime and Manga of the same name.

I really enjoyed the plot, the swordplay, the costume and set designs, and the characters. However the main protagonist overacted every scene he was in. It was distracting. Not enoug to spoil the film, but definitely enough to be noticeable.

I give the film a 7.5/8 out of 10. See it yourself, make up your own mind.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Tried twice to watch The Irishman. No. Slow moving formulaic movie relying on name brands to pull it through. They fail.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Pet Cemetery (2019)

Squandered potential

It's stinky schit that could have been at least composted dung

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (2016)

I really didn't think I'd make it through this and the first 15 minutes made that even more likely. HOWEVER, after it got going a bit I was able to even enjoy parts. I don't think it was a terrible re-imagining. I loved the original series but would never defend as great or even that good, really. This new movie just wasn't executed that well. The jokes just weren't that funny and the action not that good. Most importantly, the characters were not developed well enough for me to really root for them. Overall, a failed attempt.- D
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
                        Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (2016)

I really didn't think I'd make it through this and the first 15 minutes made that even more likely. HOWEVER, after it got going a bit I was able to even enjoy parts. I don't think it was a terrible re-imagining. I loved the original series but would never defend as great or even that good, really. This new movie just wasn't executed that well. The jokes just weren't that funny and the action not that good. Most importantly, the characters were not developed well enough for me to really root for them. Overall, a failed attempt.- D
                        I felt about the same. It had promise, then just went south. I ok ed the unreleased major post version better.

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

On the 1st, TCM ran a marathon of Toshiro Mifune pictures to celebrate what would have been his 100th birthday. I set the DVR to record them all, but have only gotten through the first so far...

Drunken Angel, 1948, co-written and directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Mifune plays Matsunaga, a member of the Yakuza who has tuberculosis, but is resistant to treatment form the local doctor, and things get complicated when an old mentor returns as arrival for his territory. Mifune is at best co-lead in this as the doctor, played by Takashi Shimura is the actual central character around which this film's story revolves. I have only seen a handful of Kurosawa films (started with Seven Samurai, then Yojimbo and a few others) and this was a bit unlike any of the ones I had seen. I wasn't expecting a jazz-based musical number in the middle of it that is for certain, and the dream sequence when Matsunaga smashes open a coffin to discover himself inside who then rises to chase him was a bit more surreal than I was expecting based on previous Kurosawa films I had experienced, and it put me more in the mind of a film like Bergman's Seventh Seal than what I had experienced from Kurosawa before.

The film itself is gorgeous, especially the cinematography. There were shots I just wanted to pause and let the image sink in, in particular some of the establishing shots of the town where the town buildings are reflected in the cesspool of a swamp at its center. It's a technique I have seen used quite well in comics before, but this film predates many of those comics, so my mind wanders to wonder whether it is simple parallel development along similar lines, whether one influenced the other, or whether they both owe a debt of influence to an even earlier work.

I also find when I watch a subtitled film, I pay a lot more attention to the tone, timber, and inflection of the dialogue, garnering meaning and emotional weight from that since the words themselves are incomprehensible to me outside of the subtitles. The rhythm of delivery is also interesting, but since I am not very familiar with the everyday rhythms of spoken Japanese, it's harder to interpret any clues that the rhythm would normally give form a language you are familiar with, so you start looking for delivery of dialogue that breaks the rhythm so as to stand out, to take cues when the emotional thrust of the dialogue is changing-when the pattern is harshly broken either from the words feeling sharper or the volume and pitch increasing clues you to a change in the emotional state of the character delivering it for example, but if the rhythm gets slower or softer it also signals a change of some sort. But it draws the focus on the actual vocal performance into sharper focus despite the language barrier. Sometimes we get passive or even lazy as the viewer when we understand the words that we miss a lot of the nuances of the vocal performance that provide cues to another level of the story, theme or character.

Overall I quite liked this. It felt very noirish, and fit well with a lot of the crime fiction I have been consuming lately. Matsunaga is very much the "doomed to come to a bad end" kind of character common in noir thrillers, his shortcomings preventing him from pulling himself out from the hole fate digs for him.

This film is part of the Criterion Collection, and the version TCM showed was the Criterion cut, which I need to track down at some point to add to my library (I currently only own the Criterion cut of Yojimbo).

-M
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

Good Boys. typical juvenile humor, but I needed a good laugh. It is also a sweet coming of age story for boys going into Jr High

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

just watched Badland on Netflix. not a bad western. I actually went to high school with the star - Kevin Makely. has a good cast, some of whom are well known. Bruce Dern, Mira Sorvino, Jeff Fahey, Wes Studi
                              a little slow moving at times but still not a bad movie, 6/10. good afternoon viewing material

Comment

• shaunaconda
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Mar 29, 2020

Forbidden Planet. Never had seen it before. Great movie! Especially for when it was made...1956
                                Last edited by shaunaconda; Apr 12, '20, 5:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎