X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The Legend of the Lone Ranger 1981

Way worse than I remember it when it came out … Has a very TV Movie of the Week feel

Visually it's pretty nasty too … Some scenes look like they were filmed in 8mm

Long Ranger theme in some scenes feels awkward

Merle's commentary seems to be a rip off of Waylon doing Dukes

Main character being dubbed over by another actor was not very subtle

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2007

I finally watched Spider-Man: Far From Home on Sunday. I give it an A+ for it had plenty of action, drama and humor.
      Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I've been continuing to watch Star Wars ripoffs. And ripoffs of ripoffs.

Shape of Things to Come (1979)

Boy would ya look at that poster! Glorious! This looks like an action spectacle! Lasers! Explosions!

It was... Okay. The budget definitely didn't help. But you do get Jack Palance sort of reprising his evil role from his episode of Buck Rogers. I watched it a couple nights ago, and it's already sort of hazy. The robots were alright, but you could definitely see the painted wood grain in their construction. Great Disco title music!!! 6/10

Hangar 18 (1981)

I watched this because a friend remembered seeing it in theaters! I'd never heard of it. It starts off FANTASTIC! Great, orchestral main theme promises you a galactic adventure, with glowing NASA font credits on a star field. Then, you get an opening sequence that feels like the beginning of Lifeforce (1985), with a Space Shuttle that accidentally launches a satellite straight into a UFO. The UFO crashes, and Kolchak (Darren McGavin) is in charge of poking and prodding it in Areal 51, err.. I mean Hangar 18. Then you have Gary Collins and another bumbling Astronaut being blamed for the failed shuttle mission because a UFO panic would adversely affect the incumbent President's reelection in 2 weeks. Anyways, the whole thing feels like a television production, they cut away just as the Alien autopsy is about to begin, and the ending is resolved with a roll up of text. Whew... that was dull. 4/10

Escape From Galaxy III (aka StarCrash 2!)

I adore Star Crash. Imagine my surprise to find that there's an unofficial sequel!!! With special effects by the same guy! Well, that's because every special effect is just footage lifted from the original film. The rest is a male and female in spandex who crash land on that Baku planet from Star Trek Insurrection. They learn how to eat (seriously, they didn't know), drink, and yes, have romantic relations. How their race procreated without this foreknowledge, I have no idea.

Now look, I'll admit I love a little gratuitous skin mixed in with my schlock, but this was almost unwatchable. In fact, I fast forwarded through a few tribal dances, and spent the last act listing some auctions on my phone. 2/10
        Last edited by Hedji; Mar 6, '20, 9:40 AM.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Hedji
          I've been continuing to watch Star Wars ripoffs. And ripoffs of ripoffs.
          Coincidentally, I was doing the same thing but I lost motivation after only about 8 movies. Some of the ones you've posted has stirred up that interest again. But only to the level that I've been drafting on whatever movies you post here and then watch them I will learn from your pain and not watch the last two mentioned.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

It is so fun to go back to the time before the Empire Strikes Back and imagine these knock off movies hoping to capitalize and captivate a theater fulled with children who would go home, open up their Star World case, and play Micronauts and Starroid Raiders while the Meco disco Star Wars spins on the family turntable.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

JoJo Rabbit. 10/10. what a great movie. It's hard to inject humor into such dark subject matter but they really nailed it with this movie. It's not a comedy, but has a lot of humorous moments as it is all through the eyes of a 10 year old boy discovering the truth of things through experience.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Alien Resurrection

Way better than I had remembered it … I'm guessing the new stuff helped me appreciate it more

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Shaft (2019) 6/10

Tim Story plays the fifth shaft film as a comedy action, the comedy lands better than the action. Still, the leads play off each other well and I was entertained despite the by the numbers plot. It is funny to watch 71-year-old Jackson playing son to 77-year-old Roundtree.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched it --- was a lot of fun

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Shaft (2019) 6/10

Tim Story plays the fifth shaft film as a comedy action, the comedy lands better than the action. Still, the leads play off each other well and I was entertained despite the by the numbers plot. It is funny to watch 71-year-old Jackson playing son to 77-year-old Roundtree.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                      Superman's Pal
                      • Jun 17, 2005

Tried to watch Uncut Gems tonight. Raised my stress level TO THE ROOF... totally unappealing people screaming at each other the whole movie. Overhyped. Ended up turning it off with an hour to go.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Just rewatched The Phantom. Forgot how good this movie actually is. Great special effects, incredible location shoots, perfect accuracy to the character. It's basically like reading some of the old strips or Gold Key comics. I can see why people thought it was hokey at the time and it's no Batman, but it's really well done. Could have used a few more dark jungle scenes I suppose, but Phantom of old is mostly a bright colorful jungle world, so this fit.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                          Just rewatched The Phantom. Forgot how good this movie actually is. Great special effects, incredible location shoots, perfect accuracy to the character. It's basically like reading some of the old strips or Gold Key comics. I can see why people thought it was hokey at the time and it's no Batman, but it's really well done. Could have used a few more dark jungle scenes I suppose, but Phantom of old is mostly a bright colorful jungle world, so this fit.
                          I could not agree more, I love this film. Treat Williams falters a bit, but the thing as a whole is great.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                            The War in Space (1977).

So this is a quasi-remake of Atragon, aka 20,000 Leagues Under The Toho Seas. It was rushed into production because kaiju movies were at death's door and Star Wars was such a mega hit. That's how fast War was rushed through production, which is why Jun "Megalon" Fukuda was the director. Where Honda could be meticulous to the point of trudging, Fukuda was more akin to being a Roger Corman guy.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                              I just rewatched this again too! It was definitely more enjoyable than I remembered liking it the first time... maybe my standards have dropped

It kinda made me want to go back and rewatch The Shadow to see how that has aged.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                                It kinda made me want to go back and rewatch The Shadow to see how that has aged.
                                Another favorite, I need to get it on DVD. Back in the '90s, I liked it even more than the Phantom. I still have all the Kenner toys, too.

That opening scene on the bridge still thrills me.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎