X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
    Damn Random, it's like you're raiding my peak direct to video years!
    Those were some great and formative years. Just missing the cut but still good is Bloodsport and just about any ninja movie with Sho Kosugi.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

I just recently rewatched The Black Hole again too. Despite the couple of cute robot scenes, it really is a dark movie. The music really drives that home. That main theme is dark and haunting. The color palette is shadowy. I doubt that the overall mixed tone was an intentional direction but maybe the byproduct of Disney not knowing what it wanted this movie to be. Either way, it ended up being a unique creation.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Doctor Sleep - I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10. doesn't follow the book all that closely but then it is meant to be a sequel to Kubrics movie of the shining. Which had not followed the book all that closely either. but as a sequel to that movie it was really good. some very tense moments. they recreated some of the classic moments from The Shining with new actors filling in for those roles.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

The Last Black Man in San Francisco… refreshingly excellent movie about many things in so many ways: 9/10

More proof that if you let talented artists/storytellers make movies, you get much better outcomes than the Hollywood $machine$.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Super 8

Didn't know anything about the movie but the description made it sound like John Travolta's Blowout movie from years ago... Was in the mood for a nice mystery and wound up getting Goonies meet ET … I didn't like it.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

really? I thought Super 8 was a lot of fun

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

The Supercops (1974) typical 70's action cop type drama, but I liked it. I believe this movie was the basis for
                Starsky and Hutch tv show.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

"You Can't Kill Stephen King"

Regardless of the high reviews, imo this movie sukks azz

If you watch, you have been warned

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                    ...but the description made it sound like John Travolta's Blowout movie from years ago...
                    That sounds more like 8MM to me.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Humanoid (1979)

This was my favorite discovery of 2020 so far. I'd seen Star Crash and Message From Space, so I've begun to mine the lower depths for Star Wars Ripoffs. I don't want to oversell it, but it was as if they'd used the old "Star World" Case from Tara for concept art. I was delighted.

If Star Crash and Message from Space are a 10, I'd give this a solid 9. I was never bored.

Last edited by Hedji; Feb 26, '20, 2:24 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Blood & Flesh: The Reel Life & Ghastly Death of Al Adamson (2019) 8/10

I've been looking forward to this documentary about one of my favourite Drive-In directors for a year now, so much so that i rented it on YouTube just to finally see it. It's very well done and I did learn a great deal that i didn't know.

My only quibble would be a large majority of his work is not mentioned so the film can focus on his murder, I get it, it's fascinating if you don't know the tale but I guess I was more into celebrating his life than his undeserved, tragic end.

Hopefully there is more on the Bluray (oh yeah i'm buying this).
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

The War in Space (1977).

I've been deep diving into space operas released around the Star Wars era. This one from Toho came out in 1977, so it isn't a rip off.

Really cool effects, the submarine like naval designs you'd expect from this kind of film.

But it does get a little middling and could've used more stuff like the Horned Wookiee and leather bikini.

I enjoyed it enough, but I feel like I'll forget I watched it a couple years from now.

6/10

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 24, 2020

Originally posted by Hedji
                            The War in Space (1977).

I've been deep diving into space operas released around the Star Wars era. This one from Toho came out in 1977, so it isn't a rip off.

Really cool effects, the submarine like naval designs you'd expect from this kind of film.

But it does get a little middling and could've used more stuff like the Horned Wookiee and leather bikini.

I enjoyed it enough, but I feel like I'll forget I watched it a couple years from now.

6/10
                            awesome looks like message from space 1978 a bit

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I've never seen this type of stuff, except the earlier, fun "The Green Slime."
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 2, '20, 9:53 PM.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by toyhunter1970
                                awesome looks like message from space 1978 a bit
                                Message From Space is MUCH more fun and creative. This poster makes it look more action packed than it is. Still very nice to watch, but set expectations a little lower.

Seriously, the one you MUST seek out is HUMANOID. It is over the top bad/good, but fun.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎