Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

Ready Player One- 10/10. I like action and hate mush. This has just the right balance of both. Major FX fan and this delivers. The contrast between the 'dull' real world and the 'technicolor' digital world reminded me of The Wizard of Oz. Only movie I have ever gone to see in the theatre 3 times. ( Of course the new heated recliner seats help too. ) Can't wait for this on video so I can pause stuff.

CCC.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

A new doc called "Here to Be Heard: The Story of the Slits" — while I LOVE music docs I think most of them are pretty terrible movies.

This one was decent for such a low budget doc, does a good job of summing up the history of the scene and the band, mainly from the personal stories of the surviving members. Unfortunatley leaves a hole, since Ari Up (the lead singer) died a few years ago. Since she wasn't available to tell her story we don't get a lot of info on her background, and her struggle with cancer was kept secret from the band, so they were as surprised as everyone else when she died.

I also took my 15 year-old neices, and they were very excited to see a movie about a legendary girl-lead punk rock band.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Lady Terminator. 10/10

Finally! A rip-off movie that truly delivers what you'd want from its title. Lady Terminator is exactly what you'd think it is... well, sort of. Our unstoppable female killing machine is not a Cyborg, but rather an anthropologist major who is possessed by the vengeful spirit of some angry legendary Filipino witch. Anyways, none of that matters, because the lifts from Schwarzenegger's classic are spectacular, the acting and dubbing as horrendous as you'd expect, and the action as over the top and as offensive as you'd hope a film called Lady Terminator would serve up. Go buy it and watch with your buddies. No blu ray available, but on DVD from Mondo Macabro.

https://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/p...ady-terminator

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

Humanoids from the Deep 6/10

Great chunk of sleaze from Corman and Company with some pretty decent effects, really bad acting (even from the veterans), a James Horner score, and inserted scenes of gratuitous sex and violence. What more could you ask for? Oh, a surprise ending, you say? Got that, too.
          This was a fun one, though the 2nd act does drag a bit. Streamed it on Amazon Prime and it looks way better than it deserves to.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Godzilla
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 3, 2002

The Monolith Monsters 7.5/10.

Really enjoyed this old sci-fi movie, but with a serious intent to it.
            Mortui Vivos Docent
            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• megoapesnut
              The name says it all!
              • Dec 3, 2007

Vanilla Sky - 8/10

We were looking for a movie to watch last night. It has been a long time since we watched this and our daughter had never seen it. It's a real mind bender with a great ending. A bit slow but the ending makes it worth the watch.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Re-watched Zombi aka Zombi 2 last night.

Haven't seen it in years.

Don't hold up as good as it did when I first seen it in the mid 80s'.

Even the Zombi vs Shark scene didn't seem as cool.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                  • Jan 22, 2008

Finally caught PT Andersons Isle of Dogs at our local theatre that shows second run movies. Really loved it. As good as Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Comment

• DavidCoppola
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

Black Panther on BluRay....5 out of 10.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

"Making Fun: The Story of Funko" 6/10

It's a documentary currently on Netflix, it starts out great and wow, I knew a lot of people in it but it sort of degenerates into a commercial for Pop vinyl by the end.

Although, it totally answered my question as to "Who buys these things?".

Also, I found it weirdly melancholy, it has this downbeat music on kind of happy stories, odd.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Zapped! (1982)

My brother bought this for my sister, because she used to like Willie Ames. Knowing this would forever remain in the shrink-wrap, I asked her for it and it now has a good home. This movie plays like a TV sitcom... from Hell. Such a strange cocktail of late 70s television tropes and 80s teen sex comedies. Come to find out they did reshoot some more gratuitous nudity in the wake of the success of Porky's a year earlier. (I've never seen a disclaimer in the credits like this: "Heather Thomas used a body double for her nude scenes". ). Today, this movie taken at face value, is pretty creepy. But on the other hand, if you understand the context, it's pretty funny that this is what was marketed back then. I'd also consider the character dynamics and science themed antics to make this a photo-version of John Hughes Weird Science. I laughed, but I can't rank it.

Of course there had to be a 'dream sequence' which involves a parody of Star Trek, since this was in the wake of Star Wars mania. They have an awesome kit bash of a Millennium Falcon Model and the Nacelles from the Motion Picture Enterprise serving as the starship. The two ships actually fit together well. It almost looks like they were made to fit together. Definitely a highlight.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I think you should immediately see another movie, just to wash that taste out.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I remember "Zapped". The racier parts of it did seem tacked on, especially since I saw the "clean" version first on regular TV. Strangely, Disney Channel did an original TV movie with a vaguely similar theme and the exact title a few years back!

I haven't kept up with Willie Ames, but I know at one time he was "Bible Man" and then he fell on harder times as I recall.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                              I think you should immediately see another movie, just to wash that taste out.
                              You're absolutely right. I can't decide between Spring Break and Hardbodies.

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                                You're absolutely right. I can't decide between Spring Break and Hardbodies.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎