X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
    Smurfs and the Magic Flute. The animation is perfectly fine and it's a cool piece of Smurfs history but, umm, yeah it's kind of hard to sit through. It's slow moving and you don't see the Smurfs until over a half hour into it. The voices are bad. The only English language dub available is the UK dub which renames several characters. John and William!? Wha!? I haven't re-watched it in a quite awhile and to be honest I didn't really care for it as a kid. I was like where's Smurfette? The movie originally came out in 1976 but the US didn't get it until after the Hanna Barbara cartoon. Again, a neat bit of history but only for diehard Smurf fans.
    Yeah, it definitely focuses more on Johan and Peewit rather than the Smurfs, but it's still enjoyable.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
      Yeah, it definitely focuses more on Johan and Peewit rather than the Smurfs, but it's still enjoyable.
      I probably came off harsher than intended. It's by no means a bad movie and it's easier to set your expectations for it if you understand Johan and Peewit are the main characters and not the Smurfs. I actually appreciate more now than I did as a kid because I understand why Smurfette and Gargamel aren't in it.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Rat Race ... Very corny humor, not very funny ..

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Godzilla King of Monsters. I really liked it. Slow build, but lots of great action and monster battles and sets the stage for Kong vs Godzilla

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula.

Truly bizarre yet hugely entertaining at the same time. John Carradine hams it up as the Count having relocated to the old west. It's all mindless fun and a great way to spend a late night or rainy afternoon.
            Great appearance also by Virginia Christine (Ananka from The Mummy's Curse and future Folgers coffee lady)

The opening credits are awesome, as a giant swooping bat passes over each transition in the titles. All in all, a much better movie than it should be.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I agree, I've never disliked Carradine as Dracula and I think he could have done even more with the character with better directors and scripts.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Body at Brighton Rock (2019)
                Non spoiler...
                18-ish year old girl works for a state park changing paper signs along the trails ….. Deep in the woods she finds a dead body and radios it in....Rangers tell her she must stay with the body until "tomorrow" to possibly protect a crime scene.

This was a pretty good movie with a weird end.
                Actress did a fine job

Worth a look, imo

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

I went to see "Once Upon a Time....In Hollywood" a second time and caught a (what I think to be) Johnny West and Geronimo sighting in Cliff's trailer. The figures were definitely from the Best of the West line and since they used different colors of plastic for the bodies and it was a bit of quick cut, it may have been Custer or Captain Maddox or Sheriff Garrett instead of Johnny West. The figure had a blue body, though. And it may have been Chief Cherokee instead of Geronimo. But, two Best of the West figures, definitely.

Couple that with Cliff's "Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos" and "Kid Colt" comics and it's safe to say Cliff Booth is a kindred spirit.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Ready Or Not

A fun horror movie with a bit of an old school feel to it. You won't be blown away or even surprised by the plot as it unfolds, but that's part of what makes it charming (if charming is a word to describe a horror film). Most horror today is built around uber dark paranormal events, trying to outdo the pure evil of the the last movie's purely evil villain. This is not that movie. It almost felt like a long episode from an 80's anthology series. Solid B-.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Stan and Ollie (2019)
                      Extremely well-done movie about the final tour of Laurel and Hardy, the two leads manage to lose themselves in the characters and have great comic timing together. It was very endearing and charming, I recommend it.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Stan and Ollie (2019)
                        Extremely well-done movie about the final tour of Laurel and Hardy, the two leads manage to lose themselves in the characters and have great comic timing together. It was very endearing and charming, I recommend it.
                        Loved it too...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Stan and Ollie (2019)
                          very good movie. sad and endearing

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Makernaut
                            I went to see "Once Upon a Time....In Hollywood" a second time and caught a (what I think to be) Johnny West and Geronimo sighting in Cliff's trailer. The figures were definitely from the Best of the West line and since they used different colors of plastic for the bodies and it was a bit of quick cut, it may have been Custer or Captain Maddox or Sheriff Garrett instead of Johnny West. The figure had a blue body, though. And it may have been Chief Cherokee instead of Geronimo. But, two Best of the West figures, definitely.

Couple that with Cliff's "Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos" and "Kid Colt" comics and it's safe to say Cliff Booth is a kindred spirit.
                            I caught that too, and I believe you are correct, Johnny West & Geronimo. Being a So Cal. native, there were so many great little details to really appreciate (Hobo Kelly, Fright Night w/Seymour (Larry Vincent), etc.).

But one thing in particular that really caught my eye, and unfortunately there isn't really a very clear shot to be 100% certain, is that Luke Perry's character (Wayne Maunder) seems to be sporting the Barnabas Collins wolf's head cane from Dark Shadows. There are several glimpses of it in his scene, but never a full on view. It would make perfect sense as a nod though because in February of 1969 DS had reached an all time ratings high and would actually hit it's ultimate peak a few months later. Would love to see some photo stills for confirmation on this.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                              Creature Of The Night
                              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Wee67
                              Ready Or Not

A fun horror movie with a bit of an old school feel to it. You won't be blown away or even surprised by the plot as it unfolds, but that's part of what makes it charming (if charming is a word to describe a horror film). Most horror today is built around uber dark paranormal events, trying to outdo the pure evil of the the last movie's purely evil villain. This is not that movie. It almost felt like a long episode from an 80's anthology series. Solid B-.
                              Saw this on Saturday at my other half's request. I didn't have high expectations for it, but ended up really enjoying this movie, so much so that I will definitely see it again.

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                                Saw this on Saturday at my other half's request. I didn't have high expectations for it, but ended up really enjoying this movie, so much so that I will definitely see it again.
                                I went for the same reason... and had the same reaction
                                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎