X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
    Read an Op Ed, today, written by Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee’s daughter) regarding Bruce’s portrayal in the film. She did not appreciate the way he was portrayed, at all, for several reasons. ...And, she hasn’t been known to be a “complainer,” over the years, in regard to her father and his legacy.

- Ian
    It’s a Tarantino film. I mean, he had a pair of Jewish assassins take out Hitler in Inglorious Basterdz for crying out loud...

sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

While I understand the protective nature of her comments, she nor anyone can deny the fun he had with public hyperbole. He clearly understood the value of controlling his persona (which is well documented), and QT ultimately pays homage. What a glorious *round 3* it would have been!

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

I think long-time Sci-Fi and comic book readers will recognize, and not struggle with the idea, that something in the timeline of things diverged and that wasn't "our Bruce Lee" in "Once Upon a Time....In Hollywood". Little things here and there in the movie make that readily apparent. AND that is precisely why I enjoyed the movie so much. My take on it is that it felt like QT created a divergent Universe and let me walk around in it for 2 plus hours and I absolutely enjoyed the experience because of the differences.

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Makernaut
          I think long-time Sci-Fi and comic book readers will recognize, and not struggle with the idea, that something in the timeline of things diverged and that wasn't "our Bruce Lee" in "Once Upon a Time....In Hollywood". Little things here and there in the movie make that readily apparent. AND that is precisely why I enjoyed the movie so much. My take on it is that it felt like QT created a divergent Universe and let me walk around in it for 2 plus hours and I absolutely enjoyed the experience because of the differences.
          And the divergent universe is probably over-explaining it. It might be as simple a notion as the title reflects...."Once Upon a Time...."

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

It is an alternate reality, not a biography. Abraham Lincoln was also not really a vampire hunter, but nobody was outraged by that terrible movie...

I love Bruce Lee. But the short 5 minutes in that movie isn’t out of the spectrum of Bruce Lee. Watch his interviews and listen. There is definitely a grandiosity to his “speak”. In those days that was part of his appeal. Ease up, there are so many facets to Bruce Lee. Tarantino just picked that one to focus on in this movie to define the Brad Pitts character. No big deal. Bruce would certainly laugh along with it.
            sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
              It is an alternate reality, not a biography. Abraham Lincoln was also not really a vampire hunter, but nobody was outraged by that terrible movie...

I love Bruce Lee. But the short 5 minutes in that movie isn’t out of the spectrum of Bruce Lee. Watch his interviews and listen. There is definitely a grandiosity to his “speak”. In those days that was part of his appeal. Ease up, there are so many facets to Bruce Lee. Tarantino just picked that one to focus on in this movie to define the Brad Pitts character. No big deal. Bruce would certainly laugh along with it.

Didn't Abraham Lincoln fight Zombies too?

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Hobbs and Shaw

First off, let me admit a bias- I am not a fan of the Fast and Furious movies. My wife is and picked this for our weekly movie. I really enjoyed it!

Where the F&F movies take themselves so serious and just look silly, H&S embraces the absurdity of it all. It does have several moments of CW-esque over the top acting, but for the most part it’s just a fun action/comedy movie that knows it’s just plain silly. Solid B.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

The Favourite.

I give it 4 out of 10. acting was really solid, but man, this movie was just weird. the cinematography was not my thing either, too many shots done in wall eye, as if looking through a peep hole and everything is in round vision. I know it was based on real historic events, and like I said the acting was top notch, but the movie was just too weird for me.

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

My son and I went and saw Annabelle Comes Home. It's the latest in the Ed and Lorraine Warren stories. This one is centered on their daughter and a babysitter that is staying with her, and of course the Annabelle doll. I really enjoy these, and this one wasn't disappointing. Lots of jump scares of course, and why people can't have good lighting in their house always amazes me.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• YoungOnce
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by drquest
                      My son and I went and saw Annabelle Comes Home... why people can't have good lighting in their house always amazes me.
                      Yes! Why no one ever flips on a light switch in these movies baffles me. Also, who walks down a hallway with a candle backwards? And while we are examining horror movie tropes, how are all these cats jumping out at people at eye level?

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 8/10
                        I highly recommend this love letter to an era, great performances throughout. The highest compliment I can give it is, I couldn't go to the bathroom. I had no idea where in the movie I could leave. Usually, in a Marvel movie, you can leave after an action sequence but I was worried I'd miss something great.

Brightburn 4/10
                        My wife put this on, it's technically well made but seems really pointless, the kid is creepy though out the film and you know it's going to be bleak. There wasn't much to go on here.

Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel 7/10
                        Enjoyable doc about Roger Corman, I didn't learn anything but I didn't expect to either. Some laugh out moments of actors recalling his cheapness, I think David Carradine has the best line in the movie citing him telling Corman to up a movie's budget, Corman refusing as he was turning off an air conditioner in the office.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Malcolm X 8.5/10
                          Heathers 9/10
                          Do the right thing 7/10

Don Juan Demarco 7.5/10
                          Johnny Depp really crushed it in that role, I really like the scene where he has the come to Jesus meeting with the board of counsolers.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Brightburn 4/10
                            My wife put this on, it's technically well made but seems really pointless, the kid is creepy though out the film and you know it's going to be bleak. There wasn't much to go on here.
                            You should really check out Amazon’s The Boys. Some similarities with Brightburn in a way, but with way superior writing and storytelling.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Monster 2003

How the heck did they make Charlize Theron that ugly ???

Her make-up guy should win an Oscar

BTW, WOW !!! Theron is really a great actor !!! … She was a totally different person

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
                                Monster 2003

How the heck did they make Charlize Theron that ugly ???

Her make-up guy should win an Oscar

BTW, WOW !!! Theron is really a great actor !!! … She was a totally different person
                                That was one of the few times I walked out of a movie and thought, " No need to have an Oscars ceremony for best actor. Just give it to her now because no one will top that performance this year."
                                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎