Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I do so love when a good movie makes you revel in things are aren't/shouldn't be funny. I was in a theater of middle-aged and seniors who were very quiet during most of the film, until those things happened.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I want to see Once Upon a Time In Hollywood...huge Tarantino fanboy here...
      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched The Love Guru (Mike Myers)

Wow !!!

That has to be the absolute WORST main stream movie EVER

Had no redeeming qualities whatsoever

I would rather be stuck in an elevator with the entire Ironpigs team after everybody got sick at eating at Old Country Buffet than watch this movie a second time.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

The Art of Self Defense

This is a pretty good dark comedy, especially appealing to anyone who's taken martial arts training (at least that what my wife tells me. She 's taken jiu jitsu and taekwando). Jessie Eisenberg nails his role as a nebish-y type looking for masculine self confidence. Not a film for everyone as the laughs are definitely NOT side-splitting, but very funny nonetheless. But it will teach you to kick with your fist and punch with your foot. A-

Once Upon A Time... in Hollywood.

Like others, I am a Tarantino fan but would not describe myself as a "huge" fan. I found this movie to be enjoyable, but not as good as his last story (Hateful Eight). The attention to detail is fantastic. Of course, I don't have direct memories of the late 60's, but the movie feels so right. And the fairy tale story the title implies was fun. Overall, I'd give the movie a B.
          Last edited by Wee67; Jul 30, '19, 3:49 PM.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

SuperVan (1976)

Oh good lord. I want to retire and get a 70s van. Want to time travel? Watch Supervan. It's a SOLAR POWERED (oil crisis be damned!) Van designed by George (Batmobile) Barriss, and the driver rescues the oil tycoon's beautiful daughter from some rapey bikers so the two can fall in love and compete in a Vanner competition to win $5,000. Warning: It is VERY politically incorrect in its depictions of 70s attitudes towards sexuality, although there is no nudity. But it does excel at showing the wonderful van airbrush art and the interiors. I could just watch a whole movie of scenes of the vans, which is sort of what this is.

Unfortunately, the SuperVan itself makes a horrendous high pitched tone whenever it drives (it's SOLAR!), that will have you grabbing for the volume button.

Turns out this is one of about six films that make up the very small but specific VANSPLOITATION genre! I will definitely be seeking out The Van and Van Nuys Blvd next. For more on Vansploitation, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vansploitation

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
              The Art of Self Defense

This is a pretty good dark comedy, especially appealing to anyone who's taken martial arts training (at least that what my wife tells me. She 's taken jiu jitsu and taekwando). Jessie Eisenberg nails his role as a nebish-y type looking for masculine self confidence. Not a film for everyone as the laughs are definitely NOT side-splitting, but very funny nonetheless. But it will teach you to kick with your fist and punch with your foot. A-

As someone who took Karate, Kick Boxing and Judo for years, I get that cult of personality around a Sensei this movie seems to be landing on and really, really want to see this movie.

Originally posted by Wee67
              Once Upon A Time... in Hollywood.

Like others, I am a Tarantino fan but would not describe myself as a "huge" fan. I found this movie to be enjoyable, but not as good as his last story (Hateful Eight). The attention to detail is fantastic. Of course, I don't have direct memories of the late 60's, but the movie feels so right. And the fairy tale story the title implies was fun. Overall, I'd give the movie a B.
              Dying to see this.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
                SuperVan (1976)

Oh good lord. I want to retire and get a 70s van. Want to time travel? Watch Supervan. It's a SOLAR POWERED (oil crisis be damned!) Van designed by George (Batmobile) Barriss, and the driver rescues the oil tycoon's beautiful daughter from some rapey bikers so the two can fall in love and compete in a Vanner competition to win $5,000. Warning: It is VERY politically incorrect in its depictions of 70s attitudes towards sexuality, although there is no nudity. But it does excel at showing the wonderful van airbrush art and the interiors. I could just watch a whole movie of scenes of the vans, which is sort of what this is.
                [/URL]
                Every print of this i encounter looks like it was run over by a Supervan.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
                  I want to see Once Upon a Time In Hollywood...huge Tarantino fanboy here...
                  Read an Op Ed, today, written by Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee’s daughter) regarding Bruce’s portrayal in the film. She did not appreciate the way he was portrayed, at all, for several reasons. ...And, she hasn’t been known to be a “complainer,” over the years, in regard to her father and his legacy.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                    Read an Op Ed, today, written by Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee’s daughter) regarding Bruce’s portrayal in the film. She did not appreciate the way he was portrayed, at all, for several reasons. ...And, she hasn’t been known to be a “complainer,” over the years, in regard to her father and his legacy.

- Ian
                    I read that too, although I haven't seen the movie, it's obvious fiction and not meant as an accurate depiction of her dad. Asking Tarantino to be sensitive to his struggle is a high expectation IMHO. There are so many works that aggrandize her father, to the point of hyperbole, I think this movie won't mar him in any way and I am a huge fan.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by EmergencyIan

- Ian
                      Definitely not the most flattering portrayal but not really damning either. I took it as a caricature, exaggerated for storytelling purposes. I didn't expect a faithful reflection.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

^ No, I couldn’t imagine that anything like this could ever damage his legacy, etc. Though, I found her take quite interesting and unexpected.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Could someone link Shannon's commentary, please?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            Could someone link Shannon's commentary, please?
                            I put it down wrong, initially. Shannon didn't write an Op Ed. It's actually an interview she gave after having seen the film:

And, here is what Bruce's widow, Linda Lee Cadwell, thinks of the portrayal, in brief:

- Ian
                            Last edited by EmergencyIan; Jul 31, '19, 4:25 PM. Reason: left a word out

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you, Ian.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                                Museum Paramedic
                                • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                Thank you, Ian.
                                Welcome, Scott!

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎