X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

original Blair Witch Project

Really lousy movie ..why was it so popular ?

Hate the ending … If you knew the story about the witch making kids stand in the corner until it was their time to be killed why would you do the same ?

If I was walking along the road and a car pulled up and a guy with a gun said - GET IN OR I'LL KILL YOU …. I would not get in --- I would say, FINE KILL ME ….. It's like you know the outcome is going to be bad either way, i'm not helping them by obeying them.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
      It's hard to understand why Jaws 3D didn't come out better. It was written by Richard Matheson, and although Joe Alves didn't direct much before, he was the production designer on the first 2 Jaws films and on Close Encounters.
      Written by Matheson but then heavily tinkered with by the studio to connect it to the original Jaws. Alves is a technically ok director but he doesn't build much tension and i think also the movie is hampered by the long, lingering 3-d shots that are kind of laughable.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Studio tinkering or not, you'd expect better from Matheson and Carl Gottlieb. It's definitely a crap movie, but I can digest it a little better as a 3D fanatic, and if I consider it a remake of Revenge of the Creature.

For me, it's main issue is not being gonzo enough. It's actually a bit languid in its pacing.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
          Studio tinkering or not, you'd expect better from Matheson and Carl Gottlieb. It's definitely a crap movie, but I can digest it a little better as a 3D fanatic, and if I consider it a remake of Revenge of the Creature.

For me, it's main issue is not being gonzo enough. It's actually a bit languid in its pacing.
          Don't get me wrong, i've watched it a few times and i don't hate it, it's just yeah, pedestrian in it's strides.

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Things (1989) — I saw this infamously terrible movie in a rep theatre last night. Amazing. The director prepared a special video intro for the screening where he declared his own movie the perfect example of how to not make a movie. Scenes with Amber Lynn as a reporter were included to boost VHS sales.

Here's a clip - and this might be one of the more competent scenes in the movie.

WARNING FOR LANGUAGE (and disturbing imagery?)

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched Alien: Covenant for the first time.

Question: … Why must all modern movies with ties to past movies be so complicated ?

It's like every modern movie that does prequels and even sequels is overly complicated.

Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien etc … every franchise suffers from this.

I miss the days of Aliens eating people and that's the whole plot.

Alien: Covenant also had really bad 1990's-ish era CGI for the Aliens …

Isn't there anybody that watches the special effects before the movie is released to see if anything looks crappy ?

Alien: Covenant is WORSE than Alien3 imo

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

I've never seen Things but I've been curious. Wow.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey

Question: … Why must all modern movies with ties to past movies be so complicated ?

It's like every modern movie that does prequels and even sequels is overly complicated.

Isn't there anybody that watches the special effects before the movie is released to see if anything looks crappy ?

Amen. I'm also sick of the convoluted tie-in plots. I can't bring myself to watch any of those new Alien prequels or sequels or whatever they are.

For the effects I think that could possibly be your TV settings? All modern TVs ship with horrible settings for movies. Whenever I watch a movie at a friend or family member's house the first thing I do is grab the remote and do these 2 things: 1) change the picture mode to "movie" and then 2) look for anything related to motion smoothing and I turn that all off. If you don't do that movies tend to look like when Dr. Who was shot on video. (Not to insult 80s Dr. Who!) I'm kind of a jerk about it, and it's not always appreciated (my blind-as-a-bat brother). It's night and day to me. Ugh.

Could also just be the effects. Modern effects are amazing, but my theory is that movies are shot to depend on so much post work now. Every shot can't be prefect and the sloppy stuff really stands out.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Just watched The Stuff on tubi and was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.

Weird I've never even knew about this movie existed before today

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Caught Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood this morning… as the trend goes, if you don't dig Tarantino, I doubt this movie will convert you. It might just make you even less of a voyeur.

However if you do, prepare for an enjoyable ride with a layered soundscape/track, excellent cinematography, sans a few bit characters (Lena Dunham felt really forced to me), the acting is super solid (I'm sure you already know Mike Moh conjures a wild Bruce Lee, but also Damian Lewis rocks a great cameo as Steve McQueen even though it's been written his best scenes were cut), the tension builds well, dark humor abounds, and there's lots of QT-universe riffs.

My only complaint is that both Tim Roth's and James Marsden's (Burt Reynolds) roles were left on the cutting room floor. Otherwise it just entertained me in the way that movies of the era were meant to… exploitative fast cars, violence, sex, drugs and anti-heroes. "A love letter to…" the end of Babylon is indeed accurate.

7.5 / 10
                      Last edited by Confessional; Aug 1, '19, 8:45 AM. Reason: … take a fast ride!

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey

Alien 3 is a very good STAND ALONE movie...but I hate is as a same universe direct sequel to Aliens...simply because it shiats on Aliens altogether. It completely makes the rescue of Newt...and the survival of both Hicks and Bishop irrelevant...since they all DIED in the very beginning of Alien 3. That’s why James Cameron hates it with a passion and wanted to make a new direct sequel to Aliens...and ignoring Alien 3 altogether. But since Ridley Scott took over the new franchise again (since ALIEN)...Cameron didn’t want to butt heads with him. Too bad, because Sigounery Weaker, Michael Biehn...and an adult actress as Newt, were set to come back.

I was disappointed with Alien Convenant myself...but still eat that stuff up because I’m an Alien fanboy.

I do dig Prometheus though, much better than Alien Convenant.

I disagree with you about Alien should be only about eating people up. I want the series to be more than that...as I love characterization as much as monsters.

But like I said, Alien 3 is a really good horror flick, a good stand alone movie...independent from ALIEN and Alien. The Dog Alien is baddarze...a quadruped who doesn’t capture you for the Queen...it has no allegiance...it just wants to eff u up, lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

The Search for Weng Weng 7/10

Enjoyable documentary about the world's shortest movie star, Weng Weng. It's actually a compelling story that somehow involves Imelda Marcos (!) and unfortunately, it ends on something of a downer but i'm glad I watched it as his movies are insane.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

Pet Sematary - the remake

I liked it for what it is. better effects than the original and a good cast

I am a big fan of King and this was a good remake, with some twists at the end to differentiate it from the original movie and the book. still have trouble watching the little kid die in the street though. it's just not something I ever want to see, even if just in fantasy

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                              The Search for Weng Weng 7/10

Enjoyable documentary about the world's shortest movie star, Weng Weng. It's actually a compelling story that somehow involves Imelda Marcos (!) and unfortunately, it ends on something of a downer but i'm glad I watched it as his movies are insane.

I've been eyeing For Your Height Only on Mondo Macabro's site. Looks fun.

Comment

• J.B.
                                Guild Navigator
                                • Jun 23, 2010

Saw Once Upon a Time In Hollywood this afternoon. Laughed and cheered with the audience. Just loved it, as I do all his movies. 10/10
                                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎