X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toothaction
    Career Member
    • Jul 15, 2017

The Witch in the Window (Andy Mitton, 2018) Shudder
    Underwhelming all over. It was like a 22-minute mid-'90s basic cable anthology show stretched out to 75 minutes.

Had a look at a bunch of other movies between this and my last report here. Getting lazy about the posting, I guess.
    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Yeah, wasn't impressed with that one.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters

I'll probably get made fun of, but I adore this movie. It's so campy and fun. Not a bit scary, but just in your face silliness that is really well photographed and paced. The action is swell, the makeup is spectacular, and it is reference quality 3D. There are so many splinters and arrows that had me ducking.

Creepshow
        The new transfer by Scream Factory does not disappoint. It looks absolutely gorgeous. My favorite horror movie ever.

Halloween 2018
        I wanted to like this more. I really did. It's okay, but just okay. I maybe have seen too much horror, but there's absolutely nothing scary about this film.

Taste the Blood of Dracula
        This movie rocks. It just does. It's almost a reboot of the previous Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, with the young lovers, and one of them named Paul. The "Gentlemen" are so wonderfully slimy, and Ralph Bates absolutely chews up the scenery. (It's a shame he isn't in it longer). I know there's complaints that Lee doesn't get to do enough in this one, and that's valid. But the cast is so strong you don't mind. Whenever we get together for a family party, my brother and I always quote the line "You drink it! You drink the filth!"

10/31
        A Halloween Anthology that I blind bought. Avoid this one. I immediately sold it. Too bad, but it is just low budget modern dreck.

Bride of Frankenstein
        I can watch this movie a zillion times and still find something new to love or laugh about. Or something truly frightening, moving, or poignant. "You live. We belong dead." (flips the lever). Just an amazing film that will never grow old.

Scream Blacula, Scream
        I could watch Pam Grier read the phone book and be happy. And while this isn't her strongest work, it's always fun. I like the twist that Mamuwalde wants to exorcise Blacula out of him to be human again. I can't really recall any other vampire movie that takes that turn. William Marshall is truly scary when he goes into 'beast mode' and grows the facial hair. And he really does sound an awful lot like Christopher Lee. A great talent with a great voice.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

The Conjurer (2008)

Great low budget indie supernatural/horror/mystery movie that feels like a real Hollywood production.

4 of 5 stars

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Taste the Blood of Dracula
            This movie rocks. It just does. It's almost a reboot of the previous Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, with the young lovers, and one of them named Paul. The "Gentlemen" are so wonderfully slimy, and Ralph Bates absolutely chews up the scenery. (It's a shame he isn't in it longer). I know there's complaints that Lee doesn't get to do enough in this one, and that's valid. But the cast is so strong you don't mind. Whenever we get together for a family party, my brother and I always quote the line "You drink it! You drink the filth!"
            Ooh, that's a good one. Such a detour from Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, because that one had a sweet story at its core, and this one is just nasty. There are some truly shocking moments in this film, as Hammer entered the 70s and got much more lurid. I first watched it on that "4 Favorite Features" slim DVD set, right after Risen from the Grave, and the change was actually pretty shocking. Underrated in the series, despite Lee's glorified cameo. Of course, he wasn't going to be in the film at ALL until WB said "Hey Hammer...we paid for a Dracula film. Where's Lee?"

Scream Blacula, Scream
            I could watch Pam Grier read the phone book and be happy. And while this isn't her strongest work, it's always fun. I like the twist that Mamuwalde wants to exorcise Blacula out of him to be human again. I can't really recall any other vampire movie that takes that turn. William Marshall is truly scary when he goes into 'beast mode' and grows the facial hair. And he really does sound an awful lot like Christopher Lee. A great talent with a great voice.
            I have a lot of love for the Blacula films. I don't like this one as much as the first, despite Pam Grier, but its still solid. And yes, Marshall is awesome.

My most recent film-watching was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. My Potter-obsessed wife has finally got me to watch these all the way through in sequence, and I'm really digging them. This one was the best so far. The series seemed to grow up quite a bit with his one, and the departure of Chris Columbus as director. She convinced me it was very Halloween-y, with werewolves, haunted houses, evil wraiths, etc. She was right!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

If you like John Williams, the complete scores to Harry Potter 1-3 will be dropping very soon. It was leaked in a concert program in Europe.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

If you like John Williams, the complete scores to Harry Potter 1-3 will be dropping very soon. It was leaked in a concert program in Europe.
                If I didn't like John Williams, I'd never show my face in public! Sounds like a great gift for the Missus!
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

House on Haunted Hill 6.5/10

I've never seen the original before (my wife is the only reason I've seen the remake). I love Castle movies but I'm not big on ghosts so I'd never checked it out before.

It's pretty interesting and certainly not a long movie, I would love to see this with it's original theatre gimmicks.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^When the old blind lady comes rolling by... that's legitimately frightening. Some good scares in this one, even if the end is a bit silly. Definitely a fun Halloween flick.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      ^When the old blind lady comes rolling by... that's legitimately frightening. Some good scares in this one, even if the end is a bit silly. Definitely a fun Halloween flick.

Chris
                      Yeah I'd say she was a highlight and I had hoped for more things like it in the film.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

The Devil's 8 (1969) - possibly the worst of the many Dirty Dozen knockoff movies I've seen. Some of the action scenes of the last half were pretty gritty and would have played better without the comedy score. Very early writing by John Milius and Willard Huyck.

The Hand (1981) - Michael Caine, Andrea Marcovicci and Bruce McGill were all as good as they could be. It's Oliver Stone's second movie and I'm usually not a fan of his movies, but it was interesting and weird to see some of the traits I dislike in his movies so early in this film. It sort of mixes a drama that takes itself too seriously with an over-the-top B-movie. I read that Caine mainly took the role to pay for the contsuction of a garage. Stone showed up in a cameo. It also featured a lot of art by Barry Windsor-Smith (Caine plays a comic artist).

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

As an aside, there was a guy on Antiques Roadshow tonight with a 1935 Bride of Frankenstein press book, in very good condition. Value: $30,000 to $35,000 USD. It was great to see!

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Talon Falls (2017) ---- Pee You

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Gimme Danger (2016) 9/10

Great doc about Iggy and the Stooges, I couldn't stop watching it.

Comment

• Brazoo
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                                Gimme Danger (2016) 9/10

Great doc about Iggy and the Stooges, I couldn't stop watching it.
                                So good, right?!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎