X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
    Do you have a link? I’ve just started listening to yours and am enjoying it.

Edit: oops I should have read the above posts. So it’s Projection Booth.
    Hey thanks! And I promise to never do a five hour podcast on anything! Unless I actually have guests. And alcohol.

Here's a link to The Projection Booth: http://www.projectionboothpodcast.co...ow-roster.html

They're also on iTunes. Their episode list is VERY extensive, and the episodes can be quite long. However, they go very in depth and often speak to people involved with the movie.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
      Career Member
      • Jul 15, 2017

Three Identical Strangers (Tim Wardle, 2018)
      A fascinating story, you're welcome to spoil it for yourself on your own time, rendered in a rather by-the-numbers cable-style doc. Not bad, but I kind of wish that I'd just read about the story in a well-written article.

Big Eyes (Tim Burton, 2014) Netflix
      Much as I'm interested in the subject matter, and much as I love many members of the cast, I'd avoided this one until now because I feared that the film itself wouldn't be very good. Whelp, despite it being lovely to look at, best I can say about the venture now that I've seen it is that it was entirely watchable. Too bad.

Creep 2 (Patrick Kack-Brice, 2017) Netflix
      Here's another one that I've been putting off having a look at, but for much different reasons. See, I'm one of the few out their that thought Creep was pretty fantastic, and was hesitant to spoil the experience in any way with what could very possibly have been just a retread of the first one, or that spending more time with the main character (I'm on the short-list of folk who loved Duplass in the roll) might be too much of a good thing. Happy to report that my fears were unfounded, and that the filmmakers came up with solutions to just about every angle of why a sequel to the original was a silly idea. Creep 2 reinvents the scenario of the first in a brilliant way, and delivers a hilarious and compelling inversion of all the tropes explored the first time around. Character exploration is key, and horror is all but thrown out the window.

Odd are, I should mention, that you'll strongly disagree with me! Hope not, though. If you care to give it go, please do yourself a favor and don't read about it beforehand - it's only 80 minutes long, which I'd call a minimal gamble on the time investment scale!

Blather concluded.
      Last edited by toothaction; Sep 28, '18, 1:44 PM.
      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Day of the Dead : Bloodline (2018)

Not as bad as everyone says but FAR from being a decent movie.

Worth a watch if you like low budget modern era zombie movies.

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Hold the Dark (Jeremy Saulnier, 2018) Netflix
          From the fella that brought you Blue Ruin and Green Room, which should be enough to get you through the the door if you enjoyed either of those two. A different kind of tension this time around, but I'd suggest you have a look.

The Resurrected (Dan O'Bannon, 1991)
          " The Resurrected (a 1991 movie in the worst ways) is not an atrocity, but it is pretty bad, if only because it is so excessively average. There is nothing special here, which makes the bad moments stand out all the more. There are your pointless, uninteresting voice-overs; terrible effects; highly questionable camera-work; lazy character writing; and an aimless story. There’s just so much that made this movie sub-par, and not even in the sense of, “Oh, that was delightfully bad and silly.” "

Correct, sigh. Exhausting!
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Hold the Dark hit my spots, but I have a feeling a rewatch won't be as successful as my Blue Ruin and Green Room rewatches were. If you have Netflix and like slow-burns with explosive intermittent violence you could certainly do worse.

I'll be hitting on my opinion of O'Bannon and his output when I finally get around to doing Dead & Buried.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Hell Night
              Want an atmospheric Halloweentime "slasher-lite" film with Linda Blair, Vincent VanPatten, a low body count, and a thrilling ending? You could do a lot worse than Hell Night. I enjoyed it very much, thank you.

Dracula (1931)
              I decided to try it with the Phillip Glass score, but gave up after 20 minutes. It just doesn't work with that score. I'd have loved to have seen something scored that followed the action better. This just seemed like a playlist of pieces thrown in. Hammer composer James Bernard once wrote an original score to Nosferatu and released it on CD. I'd have loved for him to have gotten the assignment from Universal. Oh well.

You know, Dracula is a terrific movie. It really has some great chills. But it's more psychological because so many of the events of horror are not shown, but described in past tense by the actors. I guess it makes your mind conjure up more than they could have achieved with techniques of the time (ie. Renfield describing the sea of rats, Mina describing Dracula's face coming out of the mist, or her encounter with Lucy). I wonder if they held back because of budget, special effects, or a conscious effort to not make it "too scary" for audiences of the day.

Comment

• toothaction
                Career Member
                • Jul 15, 2017

Random follow up:

I learned from listening to The Projection Booth podcast...

...that the second-most famous scream sound effect in Hollywood...

Comment

• toothaction
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 15, 2017

...originally hails from The Ninth Configuration!

Totally took me out of the movie for a sec! I feel much better now.

PS - I also just learned that we can't embed more than one video in a single post, heh.

Comment

• toothaction
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 15, 2017

Free Fire (Ben Wheatley, 2017) Prime
                    Destined to become a dorm room poster for all the wrong reasons, this masterful 90 minutes of gunplay was a nearly perfect entertainment. Precise and shaggy at the same time, the simplest of premises was somehow filled with a dozen satisfying subplots, genuine tension and brutality, something like heart and mountains of the best executed comedy I've seen in years. Wheatley and Jump know what they're doing, and they didn't need more than one location to pull it off. Hot Damn.

Extremely mad at myself for skipping this one in the theatre. Long story.

Satan's Slave (Sisworo Gautama Putra, 1982) I have my ways
                    Weird little creeper out of Indonesia.

A testament to what you can accomplish with cake makeup, custom contact lenses and some effects pedals. Good times.

This one was homework, by the way, for a new film coming out that purports to be a sort-of sequel.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

Man, we came away from Free Fire with completely different experiences.
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                        Man, we came away from Free Fire with completely different experiences.
                        My snarky response sure came to mind quick, ha, but instead... So what was your experience with the film?

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Short answer: Did not like.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by toothaction
                            My snarky response sure came to mind quick, ha, but instead... So what was your experience with the film?
                            It'd be more fun if you wanted to talk about it, though! SMILEY FACE EMOTICON

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                              You know, Dracula is a terrific movie.
                              It really is. Time has really been kind to that movie. I know some people often claim the Spanish version is superior but I've never agreed with that. Main reason Carlos Villarias is absolutely terrible as Dracula. Bela absolutely owns that role. Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan are also irreplaceable.

And yeah the Glass soundtrack is wretched. It's loud, screechy and covers up the dialogue.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brazoo
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                It really is. Time has really been kind to that movie. I know some people often claim the Spanish version is superior but I've never agreed with that. Main reason Carlos Villarias is absolutely terrible as Dracula. Bela absolutely owns that role. Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan are also irreplaceable.

And yeah the Glass soundtrack is wretched. It's loud, screechy and covers up the dialogue.

I was let down by the Spanish version too and I also didn't think Villarias came close to Lugosi and wondered what people saw in it. Like, maybe they saw Lugosi's performance parodied too much, and that made them like the alt. version better? It's weird.

I'll be the lone defender of the Glass score - only because I really enjoy listening to his music with the Kronos Quartet. I agree with the criticizms though, it didn't work amazingly. I don't love the original score, so it didn't seem like sacrilege either.

The opera he created for Jean Cocteua's Beauty and the Beast was much better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎