X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Was watching Macon County Line (1974) free on tubi

Watched the whole thing thinking the main guy was Scott Wilson (for modern audiences, Hershel from Walking Dead)

Turns out I was wrong, the actor was actually Jesse Vint.

Tell me if these two guys could be twins …

m

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72

It certainly didn't help matters that this is the second time they've done this story within the same series of films, and neither version got it right.
      Yeah. I thought the same. Though in the XCU there was a timeline reset which allowed them to redo stories. I didn't hate either dark phoenix x movie, but I also didn't love either. Just popcorn flicks.

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Bram Stoker's Dracula 6/10. It's a solid retelling, even if it takes some creative liberties. Keanu and Winona's ridiculous accentsare laughable, but everybody delivered good performances. It just feels dated, and a bit claustrophobic. Tom Waits' Renfield is the standout performance.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

The Gate (1987). I missed this through the years and so I’m seeing it with virgin eyes. I really enjoyed it for the nostalgia aspect the most, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the good special effects throughout. It was a little slow to get going, but once it turned the corner, it was one special-effects laden encounter after another. The movie surprised me quite a few times too.

The kid actors did great. The story is pretty straight-forward. The 80’s fashion and hair takes you back to a vibe. The opening credits and music literally look like the opening credits of Stranger Things. Of course that series is an homage to these sorts of movies.

For fans of Evil Dead, Monster Squad, stop-motion stuff, 80’s horror movie nostalgia that isn’t slasher...

It’s a 7.5 out of 10 for me.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

It's got a young Stephen Dorff. Fun movie. Been a few years since I last saw it.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Disco Godfather (1979) - 5/10
              The last of Rudy Ray Moore's self-financed films, I can see why it wasn't a hit. There is little to no comedy here, just Rudy playing a no nonsense ex-cop taking on drug dealers. There are some creative scenes here but it's preachy and not as fun as his other movies.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Westwood: Punk, Icon, Activist (2018) — It's a pretty scattered doc. Not a fantastic retrospective of her history or a terrific snapshot of her life now, but I think she's so fascinating I was very much into this anyhow.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

The original 1978 Halloween. It was my first time seeing it. I had caught part of the TV broadcast version once, but had never seen the entire film.

Sometimes when I watch a cult film from years ago, it just doesn't work for me (A Clockwork Orange being a prime example), It feels like, if I missed the boat, there's no going back.

That was my biggest worry going i to this film. It was released two years before I was born. I never got into the series, even when I was devouring Freddy and Jason's slashfests when I was way too young to be doing so.

So I put the film on, and...I was instantly into it. The plot, the pacing, the setting, it doesn't feel dated in the slightest. I was surprised there was almost no actual gore, or blood, and it still managed to be frightfully suspenseful. I very much enjoyed it. Not sure I want to seek out the sequels and reboots, for fear that they may ruin the purity of this experience. It is exceptionally rare that I find an old movie of this ilk that I actually like.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Witchtrap (1989)

Gave it a try hearing it had a decent cult following …

Didn't really like it ..

Linnea Quigley was nude (as usual) but she looked like she was in the middle of a cocaine binge or something ..

Entire movie was dubbed for some reason

Acting and story was super bad (but not in a funny way)

I don't get its cult status ?

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Silent Rage (1982)

I forgot about this forgettable little Chuck Norris romp …

It's basically Walker Texas Ranger vs a T-1000

Flounder, yes FLOUNDER is his deputy

I give it 3 of 5 stars

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Dolemite is my name
                        I really liked it. Lots of laughs. Eddy Murphy and Wesley Snipes were in top form. the rest of the cast was top notch too. not for kiddos but lots of fun

Comment

• alex
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 15, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          Dolemite is my name
                          I really liked it. Lots of laughs. Eddy Murphy and Wesley Snipes were in top form. the rest of the cast was top notch too. not for kiddos but lots of fun
                          I was just about to come here and post about this as well, seriously well made, and Im going to certainly look the real stuff up, and give it a go. Never realised he was the founder of Rap music.

This is also a Netflix production.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Jojo Rabbit

Best movie of 2019. I go to the movies almost every weekend and usually only post about movies I think will be of particular interest to to the Museum. Jojo Rabbit was written and directed by Thor:Ragnorak director Taika Waititi but it is far from a superhero movie. It deals with the ugliness of hate and war, but does so with such a masterful blend of dark humor and poignancy. Even though he is portrayed unflatteringly, many people will have issues with Hitler being portrayed at all. Like the movie as a whole, however, its a bit of a gamble that works very well. Through wit and tenderness, Jojo Rabbit provides an optimistic look at a very difficult subject. - A+
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

^ Want to see that one badly. Thanks for the recommend.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 12, 2016

3 From Hell...If you're a fan of Rob Zombie's trio of sickos, then this latest installment won't disappoint....Maybe not as good as House of 1000 corpses or Devil's Rejects, but still worth watching.
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎