• Aug 9, 2001

Shazam

Great movie, no complaints

A fun watch

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I really enjoyed Shazam too. this is what DC movies should be, FUN!

Comment

• great_chandel
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2, 2015

The Good Liar was an excellent film! Very cleverly written. Ian McKellen is just an excellent actor!

Terminator: Dark Fate...…..I can see why that film bombed at the box office! It was simply atrocious!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          I really enjoyed Shazam too. this is what DC movies should be, FUN!
          Yes absolutely

It's probably my fav superhero movie since Batman 89

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Shazam! Was a one-time watch for me. It was okay (I prefer Tom Hanks Big). But definitely better than Aquaman (Finding Nemo is way better).

But that’s just me...maybe I’m the Walking Dead, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Parasite. The South Korean movie that won Best Picture (and International) at the Oscars.

One helluva movie!
              sigpic

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Hector
                Parasite. The South Korean movie that won Best Picture (and International) at the Oscars.

One helluva movie!
                Loved that movie. I was pulling for Once Upon a Time.. to take Best Picture, but was happy to see Parasite take Oscar home.
                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993-ish)

Not as bad as you would imagine

Definitely made on a shoestring budget but you'd never know this watching the practical effects.

Story kinda rips off Bride of Reanimator

My biggest complaint is the movie runs too long with boring padding … It's 97 minutes but it feels like 2+hours

Still worth a look if you can't find anything to watch

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I watched Parasite last week too. Crap movie but the 3D was absolutely amazing! I can't figure out why the academy is just coming around to this movie, since it was Demi Moore's first major role.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I detect sarcasm with this one ^^^^^^

sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hector
                        I detect sarcasm with this one ^^^^^^

So last night I decided it was too long since I watched THE BLACK HOLE.

I unironically, unapologetically, unabashedly, LOVE this movie, and have since I was a kid seeing it in the theater.

I know the general consensus is that it is flawed, that it doesn't work, that its ending is disastrous... Well, THIS space laser robot loving popcorn-muncher wouldn't change a thing! It's so unusual, so visually striking. So much a product of its time merged with filmmaking from before its time.

Things that stuck out to me this time concerned Kate McCrae, who I usually ignored as a kid.

She's a great actress. I LOVE the scene where VINcent sends here the whole truth via ESP and she gets this brain dump and then you see the weight of it on her when she looks at the room full of Humanoids!!! It is CHILLING... a moment I always knew was there, but really appreciated the gravity of it through her performance.

She also does a great squeal/wretch sound when Durant removes the faceplate... I really believed she was about to vomit.

Things that make me go hmmm.... Why does Reinhardt's medical laser blow a faceplate off the Sentry Robot, but only seems to start to lobotomize Kate?

Joseph Bottoms as Charlie Pizer.... seemed like he was having the most fun. A fine performance, and I'd love to see him in more. Thinking about checking out Blind Date with him and Kirstie Alley and Marina Sirtis for some Black Hole meets Star Trek!

Robert Forster (Native of my hometown of Rochester, NY) is too cool for School. "We've been in scrapes before, and we're gonna get outta this one too." What were their previous adventures?!?

Charlie: "What are you made of? What if it were one of us out there?!"
                        Dan: "VINCent IS one of us!"

God, I love that.

Look, Ernest Borgnine is... well, Ernest Borgnine. But I'll be darned if you don't just love and hate him in this film. Such a coward, yet he cuts right through Reinhart's BS. Such a fun performance.

Anthony Perkins is truly bizarre. So corruptible. Perfectly cast as the vulnerable scientist who needs to hitch his wagon to a fascist. Wonder why they had him wearing a wedding band?

The John Barry score is mixed very prominently. It's just perfect, perfect, perfect.

The animation when the lasers zap the Sentries... is adorably old school Disney.

I will never dump on this movie. It's not for everyone. But it's perfect for me. I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Agreed! I absolutely love The Black Hole.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

I think The Black Hole's biggest problem was it was marketed to kids.

"20,000 Leagues Under the Sea meets Star Wars" it is not.

It's an adult melodrama set in outer space sprinkled with child appealing robots.

The ending is weird but Disney is known for inserting Hell and or the Devil in it's animated catalog.

I just wish the fact Maximillian was Kate's father was explored

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Random Axe
                              I had a double feature of 80s action. Most of the films in that era annoy me but these two stand out.

Best of the Best - James Earl Jones is putting together a martial arts team to take on Korea. Tons of 80s clichés but it works. There is some pretty cool action and a decent human element. Eric (I cry in every movie) Roberts stars. 9/10

I Come in Peace - This was renamed overseas as Dark Angel. This has Dolph Lundgren and Bran Benben as the typical love/hate relationship buddy cop/FBI stuff. The effects in this are really, really good for a lower budget. The alien villain in this is cool and funny even though he doesn't really speak except to say "I come in peace." 9/10
                              Damn Random, it's like you're raiding my peak direct to video years!

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Mikey
                                I just wish the fact Maximillian was Kate's father was explored
                                I'm okay with it just being fodder for sandbox discussion. There's so much implied regarding Kate, that really isn't fully cultivated... the ESP being the big one. They were really swinging for the fences with that. Could she only mind link with robots? Was she part A.I.?

I love the questions it dares not to answer.

Such as why was Reinhardt's hair so wild when he's floating in the void?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎