X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark

My wife and I had no idea what this movie was about, but we were in the mood for something spooky so we bought tickets.

I will not spoil anything here. Just gonna say that if you are a fan of Stranger Things, Monster Squad, Lost Boys, It, and in some sections, The Shining, you will dig the vibe here. The time period this happens in makes it interesting anyway. We left the theatre having enjoyed it more than we thought we would.

After we got home, I read up on the movie to learn that it was adapted from a book series aimed at young readers, but I didn’t get that vibe while I was watching it. It is not a “Goosebumps” movie with kiddie humor to soften the scares. Like I said above, there is more of a 1980’s feel to it.

8 out of 10 for me. I’d like to watch this again around Halloween.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Live action Aladdin
      My rating is it shouldn't have been made!

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Chariots of the Gods

I hadn't seen this since I was obsessed with unexplained phenomenon in the 70's. It did not hold up. It presented very little evidence, instead simply laying out stuff we may not understand and then posing the question- "Could it have been visitors from space?." You could apply that to anything we don't understand. I swear I put both socks in the washer and now one is missing. I backtracked my path, checked the machine and nothing. Could it have been taken by visitors from space?
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          Live action Aladdin
          My rating is it shouldn't have been made!
          I saw the first 20 min of and couldn't go through with it. It felt like they gave a 200 million dollar budget to Max from Rushmore.

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Surfer: Teen Confronts Fear (2018) - one of the newer bad movies that's getting "The Room" buzz. It's not as fun as The Room, but in some ways it's even more baffling. I think if you like bad movies with the right crowd it's a lot of fun, but it's not the easiest romp to sit through. It's also literally more difficult to watch than The Room because right now it's harder to find. I don't think any digital version has been released to the public - only viewable through screenings.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Never seen it until last night thanks to a free month of Hulu

I didn't mind it but thought it was too long …

Was never a fan of John Cassavetes' acting … He's just so darn uninteresting …

Mia Farrow was good but I think her breakdown and then final submission was hard to swallow … Was this film made to be anti-feminist ?

I want to see a scary baby !!! … Don't say, "WHAT"S THE MATTER WITH HIS EYES !!!" .. and not show me

I have a neighbor that's almost exactly Ruth Gordon in this movie .. wondering now if she's a witch too

Ok movie, but if I never seen it again I wouldn't miss it.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

The 36th Chamber of the Shaolin 7/10 - I avoided this for years because I thought it was another comedy from Liu, it isn't, more of revenge story and it's really well done. It features the training montage to end all montages as it depicts a man's 7-year journey for revenge against a warlord.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                  The 36th Chamber of the Shaolin 7/10 - I avoided this for years because I thought it was another comedy from Liu, it isn't, more of revenge story and it's really well done. It features the training montage to end all montages as it depicts a man's 7-year journey for revenge against a warlord.
                  This is a one of the greatest kung fu movies of all time! I loved this one. The sequel, Return to the 36th Chamber, though, definitely has a more comedic take.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

BlacKkKlansman

Good movie … extra kudos to Topher Grace for doing a dead-on David Duke impression

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

BlackKkKlansman was good, and surprisingly funny.

Just saw Alita: Battle Angel last night. I really liked it. The CGI is great. The dystopian society of human/cyborgs was intriguing, although the overall story was lacking a bit. The character of Alita herself was fantastic. This was way better than the live action Ghost in the Shell movie. If you like Manga, you will like this.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

The Mule, with Clint Eastwood. if this is his last movie he went out on a high note. 8.5/10. I have always loved Eastwood and he pretty much always delivers.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Good movie.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Good Boys

I really wanted to like this movie. I was all set to have some charming, sophomoric fun along the lines of Superbad. I was disappointed. There were definitely some very funny parts, but many of the jokes missed the mark. The script swung too far between naive children and newly-hormoned adolescents rather than blending this confusing time for kids. The kids were decent, but they lacked anything endearing that made you reminisce about this weird transitional time.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Smurfs and the Magic Flute. The animation is perfectly fine and it's a cool piece of Smurfs history but, umm, yeah it's kind of hard to sit through. It's slow moving and you don't see the Smurfs until over a half hour into it. The voices are bad. The only English language dub available is the UK dub which renames several characters. John and William!? Wha!? I haven't re-watched it in a quite awhile and to be honest I didn't really care for it as a kid. I was like where's Smurfette? The movie originally came out in 1976 but the US didn't get it until after the Hanna Barbara cartoon. Again, a neat bit of history but only for diehard Smurf fans.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

finally got around to watching Mortal Engines. not a bad movie, but not great either. effects were pretty cool. movie deserved to do better at the box office but it was kind of weird so I guess that might have put people off a bit. Hugo Weaving was great as always

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎