X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by toothaction
    It'd be more fun if you wanted to talk about it, though! SMILEY FACE EMOTICON
    I knew that answer wasn't going to cut it, but honestly for me the movie left no impression other than disappointment in Wheatley's latest efforts. Love his first two movies, after that it's been all down hill for me.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

The reason the Spanish version of Dracula is considered the superior film is due to many factors, except for Carlos Villarias, who I agree, was a terrible Dracula, truly comical in fact (his exaggerated eyeballing and overacting is hilarious).

The Spanish version was filmed at night (English version during the day). That gave it a more natural and eerie cinematography, better effective use of lighting. The Spanish version also had better camera angles work such as pans and dollie shots. Then there are the more seductive scantily clad women, making the movie more daring than its more prudent English counterpart.

But it’s all irrelevant, for no matter how technically superior the Spanish version is...the English version has Bela Lugosi.

English version by KO...

P.S. BTW, the Mexican actress who played Eva Seward in the Spanish version, Lupita Tovar, lived a very long life (106 years old), she just passed away a couple of years ago...just one day after her daughter’s 80th birthday...

Last edited by Hector; Oct 3, '18, 2:05 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Every time I see Raúl Esparzaon on L&O SVU he reminds me of Spanish Dracula

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Iron Mego
          I knew that answer wasn't going to cut it, but honestly for me the movie left no impression other than disappointment in Wheatley's latest efforts. Love his first two movies, after that it's been all down hill for me.
          So, like, darkened room, volume up, eyes front and still nothing? We really did have different experiences! I've since had two more looks, once with commentary, and my esteem for the flick has only grown.

As for the three films that came between Kill List and this one, the only one that didn't entirely work for me was High-Rise, but even that felt head and shoulders over any other SF I had a look at that year. Hmm. Haven't seen any of them since the theatre, so a series of critical rewatches is more than due.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Edited to by accident
            Last edited by Mikey; Oct 17, '18, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Finally picked up Stephen King's IT from my local used record store. Wow, that was terrific, and I don't even have a clown phobia. Beyond being a good Horror movie, it was just a good movie. Bring on Chapter 2.

Watched my copy of City of the Living Dead from Arrow video. This movie is just a blast. You have to have a strong stomach and a tolerance for over the top Italian horror, but it is just one nonsensical set piece after another. Some of the gore effects rival anything seen in any of the American slasher films that followed it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I had an extra day on my vacation, and finally watched the Blu-Ray double feature of Amicus' Tales from the Crypt and The Vault of Horror. I enjoyed the heck out of both, but I'll give a slight edge to Tales for Peter Cushing in that iconic Roy Ashton zombie makeup. I love these Amicus anthology films, and these are definitely two of the best.

From my DVR I watched Horror Hotel, aka City of the Dead, which I knew basically nothing about other than it starred Christopher Lee. MAN, that is one creepy movie! Surprisingly bleak and atmospheric for its time. I really enjoyed it! And it was produced by some of the same folks as Amicus, so it's a proto-Amicus picture as well!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                  Finally picked up Stephen King's IT from my local used record store. Wow, that was terrific, and I don't even have a clown phobia. Beyond being a good Horror movie, it was just a good movie. Bring on Chapter 2.

Watched my copy of City of the Living Dead from Arrow video. This movie is just a blast. You have to have a strong stomach and a tolerance for over the top Italian horror, but it is just one nonsensical set piece after another. Some of the gore effects rival anything seen in any of the American slasher films that followed it.
                  Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  I had an extra day on my vacation, and finally watched the Blu-Ray double feature of Amicus' Tales from the Crypt and The Vault of Horror. I enjoyed the heck out of both, but I'll give a slight edge to Tales for Peter Cushing in that iconic Roy Ashton zombie makeup. I love these Amicus anthology films, and these are definitely two of the best.

From my DVR I watched Horror Hotel, aka City of the Dead, which I knew basically nothing about other than it starred Christopher Lee. MAN, that is one creepy movie! Surprisingly bleak and atmospheric for its time. I really enjoyed it! And it was produced by some of the same folks as Amicus, so it's a proto-Amicus picture as well!

Chris
                  Yes to all of these movies!
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    I had an extra day on my vacation, and finally watched the Blu-Ray double feature of Amicus' Tales from the Crypt and The Vault of Horror.
                    Watched Vault of Horror last weekend. My wife and I both had a laugh over "The Neat Job", which is the segment that features an aged neat freak clashing with his trophy wife in his perfectly organized groovy flat. Like many of them, it's predictable, but so much fun.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

That's perhaps my favorite--the casting of Terry-Thomas and Glynis Johns is excellent. I also never tire of seeing Tom Baker turpentined to death.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 18, '18, 4:52 PM. Reason: typo
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Godzilla
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 3, 2002

Death Machines (1976). Really bad movie, but fun if you are into such things.
                        Mortui Vivos Docent
                        The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Godzilla
                          I love Death Machines, it's like a little kid wrote and directed it.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Godzilla
                            Wow, haven't seen that one since the Something Weird VHS days! Thanks for the reminder, it will be odd to see it all remastered and pretty, haha.
                            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by toothaction
                              Wow, haven't seen that one since the Something Weird VHS days! Thanks for the reminder, it will be odd to see it all remastered and pretty, haha.
                              If you have a roku it's pretty easy to find in it's grindhouse print glory as well.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

MST3K Warrior of the Lost World -- 4 / 5

Poor Megaweapon

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰