• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The Evil … (1978)

Very bad !!!

Had all horror cliché's except one --- BEING SCARY !!!

Only kudos goes to Joanna Pettet for looking hot as ever

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Dolemite is My Name - caught this at the Toronto Film Fest, SO much fun! (I think it's going to end up on a few Mego Museum member's top ten lists for the year.) So great to see Eddie Murphy in a movie like this and he nailed it. The whole cast seemed like they were having so much fun. Wesley Snipes is a riot.

It was written by the guys who wrote Ed Wood (one of my favourites) and this feels a lot like that. Craig Brewer directed it and I think he did a great job balancing the humour and drama of the story. I can't wait for others to see it.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
        Dolemite is My Name - caught this at the Toronto Film Fest, SO much fun! (I think it's going to end up on a few Mego Museum member's top ten lists for the year.) So great to see Eddie Murphy in a movie like this and he nailed it. The whole cast seemed like they were having so much fun. Wesley Snipes is a riot.

It was written by the guys who wrote Ed Wood (one of my favourites) and this feels a lot like that. Craig Brewer directed it and I think he did a great job balancing the humour and drama of the story. I can't wait for others to see it.
        I've already warned my wife that this is a definite for me. Thanks for confirming it is as good as the trailer looks.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

It Chapter II

Having never read the book, this was all going to be new to me. It was a very solid film that I think Stephen King fans will enjoy. Personally, I thought it was good but no great. The actors do a good job with a script that sometimes doesn't flow as well as it could. For some reason, I didn't find Pennyworth as scary as in the first Chapter. Perhaps the nostaglic 80's factor helped me enjoy the first movie a bit more. A solid B

Convoy

I'm not sure what drew me back to watch this attempt to cash in on the CB craze of the late 70's. It is a Sam Peckinpah film, but apparently he ran into serious issues with the film and was ultimately fired. According to IMDB trivia, the original cut was 3 1/2 hours long!! Someone else was brought in to cut it down and it shows. It ends up a bit watered down version of the anti-establishment film that Peckinpah envisioned. It looks like he wanted to make a statement about corruption and individualism while the studio just wanted to get out a lighter movie along the lines of Smokey and the Bandit taking advantage of the CB craze - C+
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
            I caught that too, and I believe you are correct, Johnny West & Geronimo. Being a So Cal. native, there were so many great little details to really appreciate (Hobo Kelly, Fright Night w/Seymour (Larry Vincent), etc.).

But one thing in particular that really caught my eye, and unfortunately there isn't really a very clear shot to be 100% certain, is that Luke Perry's character (Wayne Maunder) seems to be sporting the Barnabas Collins wolf's head cane from Dark Shadows. There are several glimpses of it in his scene, but never a full on view. It would make perfect sense as a nod though because in February of 1969 DS had reached an all time ratings high and would actually hit it's ultimate peak a few months later. Would love to see some photo stills for confirmation on this.
            I went to see OUTIH again and I paid attention during that scene. You are right, there isn't enough of a view to know for certain, but....from what one can make out, I am fairly confident that is most likely Barnabas Collins wolf's head cane from Dark Shadows.

Also, I am now fairly certain it was a Captain Maddox figure and not Johnny West that Cliff had displayed in his trailer because the figure was sporting the black bedroll accessory that came with the cavalry figures (and not with Johnny West).

And one last thing I noticed during this viewing....I believe Samuel L. Jackson made an appearance in the saloon scene when Rick was shooting "Lancer". There are 3 desperadoes playing cards at a table in the background and the middle one looks a lot like Samuel L. Jackson in a wig and hat......complete with Nick Fury eye patch covering the left eye.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

My Name Is Bruce --- 2007

Bruce Campbell as himself fights an ancient Chinese God with the help of some former Evil Dead alumni.

I've never heard of this movie before I spotted it on Tubi the other day.

I'd give it a 2-1/2 stars out of 5

Ok to see Bruce acting as a buffoon version of himself but the baddy was very cheap - story was meh but had a few laughs... Was basically a ripoff of The Three Amigos
              Last edited by Mikey; Sep 16, '19, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Welcome to Marwen
                I enjoyed the movie, it was sad though. I had not realized it is actually based on a true story, that happened about 45 minutes from me. I don't even recall reading about it back when it happened, but then again I did not get the paper in those days

had a lot of fun moments though with GI Joe style action figures. also a unique way of characterizing the guys addictions

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Next Generation. Yeah, I know I should have known better. It was on cable and I couldn't find anything else to watch. A stinker.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent
                  The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Pluto Nash

This movie does not deserve the terrible reviews it always gets.

Good mostly family friendly movie with great special effects.

I give it a solid 3-1/2 out of 5 stars

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Downton Abbey: A bit treacly and contrived, but a nicely-done big valentine for fans of the series. Pretty much what I'd hoped for, I was entertained and they did advance some characters a bit.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 25, '19, 9:34 PM.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Dark Phoenix. If you go watching this, thinking it’s going to be like in the comic books, you are going to hate it. But as a stand alone alternative universe type flick, it was half decent. It was so small scale though, complete opposite of epic Avengers Infinity War and Endgame movies. But now Marvel/Disney are going to introduce X-Men into the Marvel Universe. I want to see a proper Dark Phoenix movie...and it’s going to rule.

Dark Phoenix...6/10
                        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

^I just watched Dark Phoenix as well...it felt like a weak rehash of pretty much everything we've already seen before in the X-Men series. Even the usually excellent James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender seemed bored. Surprisingly I thought Sophie Turner was pretty good, and given a better script I think she has the potential to be a fantastic Jean Grey.

It certainly didn't help matters that this is the second time they've done this story within the same series of films, and neither version got it right.
                          The movie ultimately left me X-asperated...and wanting a break from any more mutant adventures for a while.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Agreed with everything you posted.

As you said, Sophie Turner herself was good...too bad about everything else...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

***Dark Phoenix Spoilers***

The whole thing about the Dark Phoenix saga is about intergalactic travel, the Shi'ar, Kree, Skrulls. Planets, stars, solar systems, galaxies at peril, and on...and one...

The Dark Phoenix saga in this movie happened within a couple of city blocks...featuring a couple of military helicopters, a dozen D'Bari on top of a train...and some cops...

sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Smurfs the Lost Village. I absolutely adored it. Totally respectful to the source material and characters while adding to the mythos. I also rarely say this about CGI animation, it was beautiful to look at. Just gorgeous. Rarely do properties I love from childhood get treated this well in an update or reboot. I hope the new series carries on the storyline. I want to see more of and learn more about the lost village Smurfs.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎