Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

I've been catching up on some of the TCM stuff I've PVR'ed over the last year.

Wait Until Dark - Audrey Hepburn was so great, right? Alan Arkin is fun in this too. It's a bit silly, but as it gets going it the tension legit builds. (My wife screamed at a jump-scare and nearly woke up our kid.)

The Picture of Dorian Grey (1945) - (I'm always surprised it's not "Portrait" - it's like my own personal Mandella Effect-type thing.) I really liked this one. Great casting. With the story you have the advantage of letting the reader's mind do all the work picturing the horror of the painting, but they did a surprisingly nice job using the painting in this. The colour gimmick was kind of neat too.

Human Comedy - decent. Felt like a schmaltzy ripoff of Our Town in its worst moments though.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
      So good, right?!
      yes, I mean I am a fan of the band but it was very well made.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

The Tingler - First time I ever sat through the whole movie. What a bonkers film, but very moody, and I love Castle's unabashed showmanship actually worked into the film. Plus, the first LSD trip on film!

The best part? My daughter sat down and watched it with me. If I can get a 10 year old to dig Vincent Price movies, I feel I'm doing at least something right.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Fall of Grace (2017)

Horror fans ---- AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!

Special effects -- decent for a low budget movie

Cinematography -- actually above average

everything else -- BAD …. I don't mean just bad, I mean BAD !!!

This movie is just not plain poo …. It's morning after drunk with a belly full of shrimp scampi poo

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Tubi just listed A Boy and His Dog

Seems back in the day EVERYBODY seen this movie except for me

Never heard anyone actually say they liked or disliked it … Just they had seen it like it was a required geek ritual.

Was it any good ?

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald

I'm not a Potter fan, but I do enjoy the films once in a while.

I thought the first Fantastic Beasts was overlooked, underrated, full of charm, whimsy, and fun the later Potter sequels began to lack.

This new film feels more like one of those later Potter sequels with lots of exposition and plot setting up for part 3. Still enjoyable, but not so much as the preceding film. The lead actor who plays Newt Scamander is absolutely brilliant. Can't get enough of his performance, the way he leads with his head turned slightly sideways, and doesn't quite make eye contact with others because of his awkwardness.

The 3-D was to die for. Absolutely reference quality.

The guy next to me fell asleep, so your mileage may vary.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Infinity War 6/10 I'm feeling the marvel movie fatigue. The conspiracy theorist in me did enjoy seeing the twin pillars during the sacrifice scene 🤔

Ocean's 8 5.5/10 fun film, but doesn't warrant a recent rewatch.

Jurassic Park 9/10 really a great 90's blockbuster.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I highly recommend Alpha. It’s set in Europe, 20,000 years ago during the last Ice Age.

The story of a young hunter and a wolf.

9/10

Wonderful film.
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    The Tingler: ...The best part? My daughter sat down and watched it with me. If I can get a 10 year old to dig Vincent Price movies, I feel I'm doing at least something right.

Chris
                    Yes, yes you are.

I love the over-the-top, almost camp aspect of The Tingler. Great supporting cast, too. I'd definitely rather re-watch it than, say The House on Haunted Hill.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                      Career Member
                      • Nov 22, 2011

Antman and WASP. Really good movie. 4.5 to 5 stars
                      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

Mandy--8/10. Really, really liked this one. Almost loved it, but I can't commit to that level of enjoyment just yet. Will be watching again, soon!

Cage actually came off as kind of reserved in this. I mean, sure, there's the freakout in the bathroom scene, but for the most part it's not wild-eyed, manic, strange-delivery Cage.

The aesthetics are what really worked for me. This is a movie I could throw on, turn off the sound and watch while I worked.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I just read the wiki on Mandy. Wow, sounds intense.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

That it is. Forgot to mention that it's now streaming on Shudder.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

It's in my watch pile. I saw the trailer and said "oooh pretty colors", so I blind bought it. I love Nicholas Cage. Guy always swings for the fences.

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Alita Battle Angel

I give this a solid A-

Go see it. It's beautiful to look at, the effects are great. There's a lot of warmth and humanity. Much better than the trailer made it look. I'm sure some cinephiles will look down their noses at some trademark James Cameron corniness, but this is cinema that was made to delight audiences, and it does just that.

See it in IMAX 3D if you can, and tell people about this one. I'd like to see word of mouth carry this forward so the story can continue.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎