X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Solo: A Star Wars Story 7/10

I am not a big fan of anything Star Wars, it's not hate, it's just...enh. That said, this one wasn't the trainwreck fanwank I was expecting. I liked the lead, the story was mostly just escapism and the "Cringe prequel" kinda stuff was kept to a minimum. This is a glowing review in some respects.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by toothaction
      You know, for as often as I've noticed that a recent film that I really liked was brought to life in part by A24, I hadn't actually looked up a list of all of their productions until today. My to view list just got a good bit longer! I started in on it tonight with De Palma, a rather wonderful doc that's essentially just an annotated longform interview with its titular subject, film director Brian De Palma. Informative, hilarious and resplendent in spoilers for the whole of his 50-year-plus career.

Checked this out today, then promptly (re)dove back into Carrie and Blow Out. All are on Prime.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
        Sole Survivor 1983

This movie gets a lot of credit for being the inspiration for the Final Destination movies. Essentially you have a woman who is the sole survivor of a plane crash. The theme is that although you can cheat death, it will do its best to catch up with you.

Very similar to movies like Carnival of Souls and Messiah of Evil, but less potent, and way more of a slog.

It was fine for its storytelling and theme, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored until the last 20 minutes. It really could've used some more Carpenter style terror and suspense to liven things up.

I'm beginning to find that my tolerance for "slow burn" movies is waning. Don't know what that says about me. But this movie gets a lot of love and respect that I guess I just didn't share.
        Totally agree with your "review." Pretty sure I tuned out about midway through.

Edited to add: Oops, wrong movie. I was thinking of The Survivor with Jenny Agutter. Sole Survivor is actually on my watch list though.
        Last edited by Iron Mego; Sep 17, '18, 6:03 PM. Reason: wrong movie
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

The Last Exorcism.

This would have been a good movie if the last ten minutes had been edited out.

Amazing how about 10 minutes could turn a good movie into a pile of hose manure

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Alice, Sweet Alice ……

Why isn't this movie up there with the biggies including Halloween and Friday the 13th ?

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

One of my favorites! Watched it a couple weeks ago. You seem to be taking a dive into a lot of off kilter horror movies lately. Kudos!
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

That one's on my list. I've heard good things but don't want to build it up.

Lots of times I hear good things, and it turns out to be a "slow burn" that bores me.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I avoided Alice, Sweet Alice in the past because I assumed it was an underage sexploitation movie because a young Brook Shields was in it - and the title of the movie itself.

If i'd known it was an all out mystery/slasher film I would have watched it 40 years ago

tubi.com has a decent amount of free obscure horror films

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                    That one's on my list. I've heard good things but don't want to build it up.

Lots of times I hear good things, and it turns out to be a "slow burn" that bores me.
                    From what I know of your movie predilections, I think you'll dig it. It's currently streaming on Prime.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, I know. If you're anything like me, your Prime Watchlist is enormous and you'd need global Armegeddon to have enough time to get through them all.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

Uh, yeah. Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Shudder and OnDemand keep me busy! It's a big part of why I started a podcast. I watch so many movies but don't got no one to talk to about 'em.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Saw 2 …. meh
                          Last edited by Mikey; Sep 20, '18, 5:49 AM.

Comment

• toothaction
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 15, 2017

Mandy (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)

Either the best or the worst movie you'll see all year!

Me, I'm jealous of anyone that was actually able to catch this in a theatre. As I've said elsewhere, it was made to be seen loud and huge while you're trapped in an enormous dark room with strangers.
                            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Can't wait to see it.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Me too. I'm a bit of a Cage apologist. I like his unpredictability. I also like movies with garish colors.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎