• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Dungeons and Dragons Mania

'

I really remember that "Mazes and Monsters" TV Movie really wrecked Dungeons and Dragons for more than one friend of mine. Thanks a lot Tom Hanks!

Like our Facebook Page
    Check out our Instagram

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I really wanted that Dark Tower game as a kid. I still wonder if it was as awesome as the commercial made it out to be.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I really wanted that Dark Tower game as a kid. I still wonder if it was as awesome as the commercial made it out to be.
      It was. My friends and I had 2 favorite games: Risk and Dark Tower, and I felt Dark Tower was the better of the two. IIRC, when you engaged in a scuffle with the Brigands, you could see how the battle was going and if things weren't looking good, you always had the choice to mitigate your losses and pull out or take your chances and either make a heroic comeback or start shooting your horses on Custer Hill. Such fun.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I had D&D mania bad and Dark Tower was AWESOME! I started playing D&D on Christmas break in '81 when I was in 7th grade and got my first Basic Set a couple months later as a surprise form my dad who brought it home for me on the first day of February vacation along with an AD&D Players Handbook. I got Dark Tower the following Christmas (as well as the Dungeon board game).

For catalog fans, my dad also brought home this little treasure that day...

which I drooled over for hours upon hours (I still have a copy on display in what used to be our game room).

I would open it up and dream of getting some of the cool stuff inside...

you can click through the entire catalog here: http://www.battlegrip.com/gateway-to...1-tsr-catalog/

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

I really liked all that kind of stuff, I don't know why I never asked for Dark Tower.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Dark Tower was undeniably impressive. Went through a lot of batteries with that game.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I missed out on these, but my friends and I had Heroes Quest, D&D for those with short attention spans for the 90s.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Dark Tower is in our game closet. Kids love it since it's like an interactive diorama.

We had everything in the upper D&D catalog photo. My brother was an early fanatic. I still have the modules and the original Deity & Demigods book on my bookshelf. I sold the original handbooks and manuals probably a decade or so ago.

But those games...man...I haven't thought of them in years! The electronic one was a pain to make work. The press pads were suckish. Hey, that ad just solved a puzzle for me! The pewter dragon for the electronic game has been in my Dark Tower box, but I couldn't remember where it came from!

But Dungeon...I think that's the one I played incessantly. I need to see the monster cards.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

I had the 1990's version of Dungeon! and played Hero Quest once.

I still have Mazes and Monsters on videocassette, I don't know why they had to cast a bad view of Dungeon & Dragon players in the 1980's, always for some political gains I guess. I also have the Dungeon Master VHS. Ha!, Ha! I need to get Hawk the Slayer and The Sword & the Sorcerer DVDs again so I can get charged up for some fantasy adventure role-playing games.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

Still have Deities and Demigods. We had to start using miniatures to represent marching order because everyone kept changing where they were whenever a monster would pop out. That eventually led me to Warhammer. Still have a 20,000 point Empire army in my closet.

CCC.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎