Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone really want President dolls as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Did anyone really want President dolls as a kid?

The news letter got me thinking about this again and I didn't want to take that thread off topic.

I understand historic figures like Daniel Boone at least that has some play value. But Presidents? Let's be totally honest on this. Put yourself back in time, you're a kid with limited toy money and you have Big Jim in one hand and George Washington in the other. Do you really choose the guy in the powdered wig over Big Jim? Were there really kids begging for a Ben Franklin doll for Christmas? I probably would have cried if I had gotten one.

Also, don't adults tend to collect out of nostalgia? So, I don't really get a big adult market for them either. If you didn't want one as a child why would you want one now?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I tend to agree. I had and have no interest in them.

Now, if some were made in 1/6th scale; today, by one of the high end manufacturers like Enterbay, who did those lifelike Bruce Lee figures, etc, I can see some adults collecting those since they’d be done to such high quality. Even then, presidents made by one of those companies wouldn’t wouldn’t sell like crazy.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Loved collecting Marx Presidents from my local gas station.

Comment

• Iron Mego
        Wake Up Heavy
        • Jan 31, 2010

I think I would have looked at them if only because they were 8" clothed figures. A Lincoln figure would have possibly been a purchase for me, especially if he came with a top hat. I had a minor and inexplicable obsession with top hats as a kid.
        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Valor
          • Aug 25, 2017

FDR action figure: $8.99. Wheelchair sold separately.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

I can't see these selling well. if nothing else maybe there will be some good custom fodder

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Every Canadian child loves the "World's Greatest Prime Ministers" action figure line by Irwin, oh the afternoons I'd whittle away staging epic battles between Wilfred Laurier and John A. McDonald......
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

As with most anything, there is an audience for this type of thing. Lots o' folks buy Presidential collectibles, some people dig history, some people like blah blah blah. We aren't necessarily the audience, but who knows, these might sell like gangbusters.
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Americans have always been obsessed with their President, putting them on pedestal or something. I don’t see the allure of a having their toy , tho a Justin trudeau voodoo doll I would buy.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

I had the heroes of the American revolution dolls. President Washington and Jefferson were among 9.

Interesting Fact Nathan Hale died when he was only 21.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

No, probably not, but I did like a plastic pencil case that had discs that turned telling about the Presidents.

Maybe have Lincoln, so he could talk to Captain Kirk.

I think, though, that adults like new characters and real people that are made into the style of beloved toy figures. Sort of like some of the ReAction figures, toys of old things, that did not originally have an action figure line.

Any military President figures might be interesting.

I think there might have been, in the last 15 years, a G.I. Joe version of President Eisenhower. I'm not sure, but there could have been one when they made General George S. Patton figures.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                        Hot Child in the City
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Presidents as a line might be better in a sort of Greatest Hits version...Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, Teddy Roosevelt, Kennedy...not so sure about Carter, Ford, etc. The fanbase may be limited.
                        I'd rather have a line of Famous Inventors with such stalwarts as Eli Whitney, Alexander Graham Bell, and Robert Fulton.
                        Or Authors with Dickens, Shakespeare, and that lady what wrote all them Twilight books.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                          No, probably not, but I did like a plastic pencil case that had discs that turned telling about the Presidents.

Maybe have Lincoln, so he could talk to Captain Kirk.

I think, though, that adults like new characters and real people that are made into the style of beloved toy figures. Sort of like some of the ReAction figures, toys of old things, that did not originally have an action figure line.

Any military President figures might be interesting.

I think there might have been, in the last 15 years, a G.I. Joe version of President Eisenhower. I'm not sure, but there could have been one when they made General George S. Patton figures.

Eisenhower was made from when he served in WWII like JFK.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, the GI Joe line was Generals, and had Patton, Eisenhower, and Washington. JFK was from when he was in the Navy

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

I really don't think any kid wanted President figures. I don't know any kid that was interested in political figures for playtime.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎