Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i thought Skull showing up was brilliant and totally unexpected, although makes perfect sense in hindsight. I had not idea that was not Hugo, looked and sounded like him. I am sure it is setting Skull up to return. Maybe Chris Evans will come back for Cap 4 after all

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I really don't get this "half a movie" business. It was half a story, maybe, but it was a full movie. It has a beginning, middle and end... it's just not the end that many expected. The heroes lost, and Thanos won. There's actually no conflict as it ends. He's happy, and the heroes (that are left) are devastated. It doesn't end in the middle of an action sequence.

Think of it as a HUGE season finale for a TV series. Most of those end more open-ended than this, sometimes in the middle of rising action, and folks just accept it. Marvel is breaking the rules for movies here. Unless you count The Empire Strikes Back, which of course did the same thing on a much smaller scale.

Chris
      Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Apr 30, '18, 7:33 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

It's half a movie due to the fact dead characters are not dead. Unless one believes they actually killed Spidey and Panther....

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I just came back from seeing it...WOW...it was epic.

I HATE MARVEL!!! BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SUPERIOR TO DC.

DAMN YOU, DC!!!! WHY CANT YOU MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS?????

Justice League felt like a daytime soap opera next to this Lawrence of Arabia.

You see, DC? Look at Thanos! That’s how you make a proper motion-capture character...unlike your cheap lame arze Steppenwolf...and not just physically, but characterization too...Thanos displayed emotions...not any sorry arze cardboard cutouts...argh...

Disgruntled DC fan...

sigpic

Comment

• bleit1701
            Career Member
            • Jan 1, 2009

Let's say it was a full movie but half a story.
            Better late than never.....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

It's half a movie due to the fact dead characters are not dead. Unless one believes they actually killed Spidey and Panther....
              Then ESB is half a movie because Han isn't going to stay frozen in carbonite and Luke is going to defeat (and save) Darth Vader.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Then ESB is half a movie because Han isn't going to stay frozen in carbonite and Luke is going to defeat (and save) Darth Vader.

Chris
                I don't see the correlation. Carbonite Han was due to Boba stating Solo had to be kept alive, so Lucas wasn't trying to convince the audience at any point in film or in marketing that Han status was permanent. As for Vader....defeating Darth was the end point of Luke's journey to become the master, so that would only occur when the stories over for Luke.

Infinity War's implying these are concrete actions. Strange's line infers enough to mean "to defeat Thanos" while the visual implies the sacrifice had to be made "to defeat Thanos". Either way, they're selling a dead Spidey and Panther...which ain't happening.

That decision turns the last act into a cliffhanger, where ESB closed the chapter. If ESB ended with Vader kneeling before The Emperor as the Bothan spies escaped with the plans, we would be in cliffhanger territory as the scenes would foreshadow the next interaction between Luke and Darth. Infinity War infers A4's events occur immediately afterwards.

If they change that and add a few years to the time between the two films, like an Age of Apocalypse alt-timeline, then you're right to see Infinity as a closed ending. But that's antithetical to every move Marvel has done over the past decade.

Comment

• clemso
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 8, 2001

I dig it. The range of emotion from Thanos having to make that sacrifice for the Soul Stone and loved the RS cameo. Lots of great beats and the pace was a finely balanced master piece. It never felt awkward. I was pleasantly surprised how well made this was and it certainly made up for AOU which at times felt a little tired in places. Can't wait for Avengers 4 next year. My only disappointment was that the Vision seemed incapacitated from the start.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Again, the Hulk is being treated like crapp. I grew up reading Hulk comics (which was one of my favorites)...and he instilled fear, as he was just powerful beyond belief. The madder he got, the stronger/powerful he got. Well, where is that? It has never really been shown in movies. He’s so underpowered, it’s ridiculous. After he gets easily punkked by Thanos...he never shows up again??? I thought for sure he was going to show up in Wakanda, but nooooo...in fact, even Bruce Banner punks his own alter ego by saying (while inside the Hulkbuster) that this was the contraption that beat the Hulk. COME ON!!!!!!!! Bruce Banner punking his self-Hulk???

One the other side of the coin...looks like Thor is getting more and more powerful.

I hear they are going to make Captain Marvel the most powerful superhero of them all. In comics, she’s not ranked higher than Thor, Hulk, Silver Surfer, etc...again, come ooooooon...

Also...where were the X-Men and The Fantastic Four?

Where was Deadpool????

Heck, forget the Avengers vs Thanos. I wanna see a Thanos vs Galactus movie...or better yet, a crossover battle...Thanos vs Darkseid...

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I was thinking the Hulk thing is going to come into play for part 2 and it will be explained why he would not come out

Comment

• Madcap70
                        • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Hector
                        Again, the Hulk is being treated like crapp. I grew up reading Hulk comics (which was one of my favorites)...and he instilled fear, as he was just powerful beyond belief. The madder he got, the stronger/powerful he got. Well, where is that? It has never really been shown in movies. He’s so underpowered, it’s ridiculous. After he gets easily punkked by Thanos...he never shows up again??? I thought for sure he was going to show up in Wakanda, but nooooo...in fact, even Bruce Banner punks his own alter ego by saying (while inside the Hulkbuster) that this was the contraption that beat the Hulk. COME ON!!!!!!!! Bruce Banner punking his self-Hulk???

One the other side of the coin...looks like Thor is getting more and more powerful.

I hear they are going to make Captain Marvel the most powerful superhero of them all. In comics, she’s not ranked higher than Thor, Hulk, Silver Surfer, etc...again, come ooooooon...

Also...where were the X-Men and The Fantastic Four?

Where was Deadpool????

Heck, forget the Avengers vs Thanos. I wanna see a Thanos vs Galactus movie...or better yet, a crossover battle...Thanos vs Darkseid...

Do you like any Marvel movies? I've seen alot of your posts and this film isn't BVS........

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

Saw it today and loved it. To all those thinking it was "half a movie" ...well yeah...it was. But we all knew it was going to be a cliff hanger when they announced it a few years ago (Infinity War Part 1 and 2) Perfect cliff hanger in my opinion. One of the main reasons Marvels movies BLOW AWAY any of the garbage DC has put out...Marvel has had a plan for all of these movies since the get go. It's the reason why EVERYONE stays until the last credits are over...each movie is connected. I'm a DC fan/reader since I was 9 years old...and I wish I could say that anything DC has put out can even hold the jock of ANY of the Marvel movies...they can't. Period. The only thing that I can say that disappoints me is that I have to wait a year before Part 2. Other than that I have to say this was the BEST movie has put out so far in my opinion. Like my brother (Wannabe) told me, this is a basically a George Perez comic book come to life...so much stuff happening in each frame/panel that you need to see it again/look closer to get EVERYTHING that is going on. LOVED IT!!!

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                            Saw it today and loved it. To all those thinking it was "half a movie" ...well yeah...it was. But we all knew it was going to be a cliff hanger when they announced it a few years ago (Infinity War Part 1 and 2) Perfect cliff hanger in my opinion.
                            I did like the movie, but I couldn't love it.
                            The problem with this cliff hanger is that it came absent of any prior resolution AND we already know there are sequels to "dead" characters - which means that in one way or another half of this movie doesn't even count.

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                              in 1981 we didn't know Han would live. And ESB felt like a whole movie with more to come. I knew Infinity War was a Part 1 of 2. But leaving us with have of the heroes "dead" when you know they aren't dead is like watching a 1940's serial. Sure it's fun, but did anyone really think Batman went off a cliff and died. And was there really any story progress. Tune in next week when you see that Batman jumped out at the last second!

Sure, like the serials, it was fun to watch. That doesn't excuse a crppy "ending".

So I don't mislead my fellow fans, I liked the movie. I just felt they missed the mark in many areas. The bar was set super high, they didn't reach that =for me.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Madcap70
                                Do you like any Marvel movies? I've seen alot of your posts and this film isn't BVS........
                                Did you read post #34?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎