X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

I don't know...

I think it's way too predictable that everyone that disappeared went into the Soul Gem...would definitely make an awesome Movie if the Core Team that was left on screen at the end were actually in the Gem trying to fight their way back to Reality, and a few sacrifice themselves to remain behind (i.e. those with expiring contracts & modern replacement characters)...

Would be a nice way of killing those characters without actually killing them.

Again...Just a passing thought as I sat there watching things unravel...still intrigued though on the 'Millions' of possibilities
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

just got back from seeing it. what a fantastic movie. so much to think about. I will definitely have to see it again. Loved all the humor too. really a lot of fun character interaction.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        ^I think you may be on to something, but that everyone who disappeared IS in the Soul Gem, possibly. Or maybe not and they use timey-wimeyness to fix everything.

Chris
        I'm kind of thinking it might have to do with something Doc Strange did with the Time Gem before giving it to Thanos. He had told Tony he wouldn't save him or Peter over the Gem, but then viewed all the alternate futures and saw only one way to defeat Thanos, and after that is when he gave up the Gem...so if I had to guess what he saw involved manipulating the Time Gem before giving it to Thanos sowing the seeds of Thanos defeat in that move.

-M
        Last edited by MRP; Apr 29, '18, 6:56 PM.
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by MRP
          I'm kind of thinking it might have to do with something Doc Strange did with the Time Gem before giving it to Thanos. He had Tony he wouldn't save him or Peter over the Gem, but then viewed all the alternate futures and saw only one way to defeat Thanos, and after that is when he gave up the Gem...so if I had to guess what he saw involved manipulating the Time Gem before giving it to Thanos sowing the seeds of Thanos defeat in that move.

-M
          I was thinking along similar lines. It seems like Strange had a strategy in mind.

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

I agree that Strange has used the time gem to achieve the only winning outcome he could find.

So we get a dream sequence episode of every 80's sitcom. The last third of the movie will simply not have happened in one way or another.

However, that is one of the 3 reasons I did not like this movie. The second reason is feeling like it was half a story. Good intro, good rising action, huge climax - and NO falling action and NO RESOLUTION. The third is it left out what everyone loves about MCU: heroes being heroic and making a connection with the common man.
            I guess a fourth reason is that there were so many times during the movie I kept saying -why don't they just... Or Why did that happen? It is like they forget what powers they have?

Thanos can punch the Hulk and knock him out? Vision is 2 feet from Thanos's face with the gem still in his head - and he doesn't fire? Gamora cried when she thought she killed Thanos? Why didn't Strange send people to other places when faced with threats? How is groom's arm strong enough to be the axe's handle? Why would Loki give up a gem for Thor? I can't even remember most of the WHAT!!!?? moments, but they were every few minutes.

I did not hate the film, but unless part 2 can redeem it I don't like it.

My wife said the same. My kids ages 14 and 11 both hated it. Mainly because of lack of connecting with the heroes.
            Last edited by Brue; May 1, '18, 8:10 PM.

Comment

• jacoblb
              Persistent Member
              • May 7, 2009

Saw the film with my family of 4 this morning and we all loved it. Action packed, lots of humor. My 15 year old daughter was crying at the end.

I had to assure her Dr Strange knows the odds and what to do and that it'd be weird for Marvel to have an announced Spidey movie sequel without its actor. Thanos will get beat easily in brains over braun. But Hulk will get his rematch without his opponent wearing the Infinity Gauntlet

I thought Gamora was dumber than the audience as the whole scene was predictable.

Rocket should have taken a weapon of his own, it was his motivation for going. I still want Beta Ray Bill to show.

Are there any surviving Asgardians besides Thor?

Surprised there was only 1 after credit scene rather than the normal two.

Loved the CGI and the characterization of Thanos. WB should be taking notes to compare against their terrible Steppenwolf from JL.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

We just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Was very surprised (and excited) to see Red Skull.

There were a lot of good scenes. And I'm chewing on what Tom said about them being in the stone. Something to think about.

I asked my sons if they thought Hulk wouldn't emerge because he was actually scared. He just got his butt kicked by Thanos.
                Last edited by ScottA; Apr 30, '18, 9:46 PM.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

I concur a bit with Brue with not wanting to see this stretched into a two-parter rather than seeing our heroes overcome the odds as heroes should. I was in a media blackout prior to the movie and had no idea of the Empire Strikes Back cliffhanger magnitude. I would happily have sat for another half hour of butt numbing to conclude the story rather than hope that part two has a full story line and not a giant Dallas reveal, but I was pretty impressed with how they managed to write in that many characters, so hopefully part two will have just as great of character interaction and a nice twist to pull things back together.

I do gotta say my suspension of disbelief allowed me an answer for all the 'what the' moments Brue mentioned.

There were only two items in my moviegoing experience that I was disappointed in and one was in the opening ads and trailers. The only bit in the movie that pulled me out of my happy movie watching place was Banner's character being such a doof and buffoon. Did not seem very consistent with the earlier Banner of this movieverse and definitely not the Banner from the funny pages.

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

Hold on. I thought it was the Taskmaster during the Gamora soul stone scene. Was that Red Skull? I thought so at first, but then I'd seen Hasbro made a Taskmaster figure tie in with the movie. I definitely need to see the film again, it's certainly worthy of a rewatch. Since the MCU has so much continuity and this film was much like a great comic book example maybe they need to do a recap or have Star Wars like text scroll to help us folks remember what came before. I know I was wondering what happened to Cap's shield before I was reminded by my wife he didn't want it anymore in Civil War.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by jacoblb
                      Hold on. I thought it was the Taskmaster during the Gamora soul stone scene. Was that Red Skull? I thought so at first, but then I'd seen Hasbro made a Taskmaster figure tie in with the movie. I definitely need to see the film again, it's certainly worthy of a rewatch. Since the MCU has so much continuity and this film was much like a great comic book example maybe they need to do a recap or have Star Wars like text scroll to help us folks remember what came before. I know I was wondering what happened to Cap's shield before I was reminded by my wife he didn't want it anymore in Civil War.
                      Red Skull for sure, he even mentioned holding a Infinity Stone once... I was surprised to see him as was my son. I was also surprised to find out that wasn't Hugo Weaving playing the Red Skull. It's actually Ross Marquand, who plays Aaron on the Walking Dead.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Taskmaster was probably just in the toyline because Hasbro always throws unconnected characters into movie waves.

I have heard others level the criticism of half a movie, but I had no problem with this movie ending in a cliffhanger, because they've been telegraphing it for years. The films were originally called "Infinity War Parts 1 & 2". If you didn't know going in this was going to continue into the next, you must have been in non-spoiler mode for the past 4 years. ;-)

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by ScottA
                          I asked my sons if they thought Hulk wouldn't emerge because he was actually scared. He just got his butt kicked by Thanos.
                          It was either that or the film's way of saving some CGI money

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Hulk has performance anxiety now.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

While I agree with Brue's points, I think the context matters. Those are issues for a normal movie, but Infinity is the first "movie" that is really structured after the Giant-Size Marvel Annual/Mini-Series Crossover events circa 80's/90's.

You look at Contest of Champions, Secret Wars, Atlantis Attacks, Evolutionary War...it's the same "Cut To" location and character editing that relies on the audience having preexisting knowledge. That's Comic Book 101 writing and has been an anathema to filmmaking for decades.

I think that's why I love the Red Skull scene: Cut To - remote location and suddenly an unexpected character pops up. You can practically hear Stan's voice from the caption box as he alludes to finding out about Skull's future events in the next Cap movie.

So as a movie, Brue is pretty spot-on but as a really, really expensive LARP comic book, the only way to top this, is Secret Wars with FF and X-Men.

After this, I'm no longer surprised by the rumors of the Nolan's getting a carte blanche offer to create their own verse which exists separate from Geoff Johns projects.

Comment

• bleit1701
                                Career Member
                                • Jan 1, 2009

Yes, it ended in a cliffhanger. I was kind of expecting it considering the original title and the fact that they filmed both movies together. But most people feel the got half a movie and they did but I loved it. The silence in the theatre was deafening when the credits started to roll.

The first movie I hoped would end in a cliffhanger was Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I wanted Galactus to land on Earth, end there in a big 'ol what now? and lead into the next film. Instead they wrapped it up in Ten minutes and it THAT felt like half a movie.

Infinity War have us half a movie, a big 'ol what now? And I'm all in. Maybe the only thing they should have done is give a better impression that the Avengers are down but not out. Give the masses some hope. But I think most comic readers know the score. Avengers Assemble!
                                Better late than never.....

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎