X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Reviews and Discussions - SPOILER THREAD

Since AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR is having it's big premiere tonight, it seemed appropriate to get OUR party started here, as well, since the review embargo lifts tomorrow. Feel free to post ANYTHING here pertaining to the film, spoilers and all. Have fun!!!
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I'll come back here on Friday after I've seen the movie.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I’ll be rooting for Thanos.
      sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I'm not sure I even want to post any spoilers for this movie. I saw it, and really enjoyed it, and was genuinely surprised by it in several spots. So I don't want anyone else to come here and be spoiled by it.

When others start to talk about it, I'll chime in.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• bleit1701
          Career Member
          • Jan 1, 2009

There's a lot to digest but I will say that I think DR Strange did what he did to easily. I think he has a plan.
          Better late than never.....

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Just one question to those who've seen it and it's not really a spoiler question, more of a character interaction question. Do Tony Stark and Rocket get the opportunity for a verbal sparring match at all? Please tell me they wouldn't pass up a snarkfest like that!!!!
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• bleit1701
              Career Member
              • Jan 1, 2009

No Stark/Rocket interaction but yes to some good Thor/Rocket stuff.
              Better late than never.....

Comment

• LordMudd
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 22, 2011

I am disappointed in Thanos. At the end of Avengers he smiles at the court death comment, in keeping with his character in the books, and nothing he does in any of the other scenes conflicts with this, but in this all he wants to do is wipe out half of the universe so that he can go home and watch a sunset. Talk about insulting the source material!

CCC.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I think it works better for the movies than "I'm in love with Death". I don't think the majority of movie goers would buy that.

This Thanos is a little bit Ra's Al Ghul in that regard, though.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 29, 2007

Ok, remember ... Spoiler section...

I liked it a lot and am amazed at how well Marvel handles these huge ensembles. So many great unexpected team-ups as different characters head off together to take on the next task. As far as Thanos' motives... Almost every superhero movie has a villain wanting to take over the world/universe. They had to run out of reasons eventually. At some point, I just go along with it because, hey, what else would a villain want? Admittedly, the stakes have been raised to this level so many times that it doesn't carry any emotional weight anymore, but for a comicbook movie, it's fun escapism and Marvel has captured that old Marvel feel about as well as anyone could ask.

Regarding the mass "wiped from existence" scenes at this chapter's close, with each one I was thinking, Eye of Agamoto or some other macguffin to alter that outcome. No way they are going forward without some of those returning. I haven't read the books so I don't know... Some of you might know how that turns out.

Just how close is the movie adhering to the comics?

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

My bet is what we're getting is a split in the MCU, where the NuMarvel characters can "exist" in the MCU reality.

I think that's what Strange was alluding to - alternate worlds were a variant group of the MCU heroes are able to beat Thanos. In other words, energy never dies, it just transforms. So the energy lost in MCU Prime transfers to cross alternate realities into a new one. That would explain how the Capt Marvel storyline is set in the 90's but connects to A4. She either existed and transcended, or she's from an alternate reality. Like a variation on the Strange/Dormmamu fight: Thanos wipes the field and new heroes are reborn each time, with a different mix carrying over. It would be a quick way to populate the MCU with variants of the same character that could exist on the Disney streaming app, while not deluding the original.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I have not seen it...but read the plot.

SPOILERS.....

So is Captain Marvel the one who is going to save the day?
                        sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
                          I have not seen it...but read the plot.

SPOILERS.....

So is Captain Marvel the one who is going to save the day?
                          From what I've read...we won't find that out until Avengers 4.
                          sigpic

Comment

• WannabeMego
                            Made in the USA
                            • May 2, 2003

As I sat through the Ending, watching random Characters disappear, a thought crossed My Mind that the Characters that remained actually didn't survive, but now exist within the Soul Gem...now THAT would be a f#cked up twist if it unravels like that.
                            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^I think you may be on to something, but that everyone who disappeared IS in the Soul Gem, possibly. Or maybe not and they use timey-wimeyness to fix everything.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎