X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
    ...Thor would have destroyed Viz at first chance. I mean, they laid out everything he lost at Thanos hands, had Rocket imply Thor was on a suicide mission, and stuck him in the direct path of a star blast. He's not going to waver due to Wanda's love life.
    You obviously have very little understanding of the character. There's a big difference between being "on a suicide mission" and destroying another sentient being.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I do love how Thor arrives with a blast and just kicks ***. he has embraced his power now

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by phil
        I saw it again Sunday afternoon and noticed several people near me being happily surprised that so many characters were in the movie. I know not everyone follows these movies as closely as we do but it was interesting to see this reaction. A dad and the several boys with him were b*tching up a storm with complaints when the movie ended calling it the worst movie ever. They really hated the downbeat ending.
        shhh....They better not let angry Star Wars nerds hear them say something is worse than the Last Jedi.

Comment

• Madcap70
          • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          i saw it again on Sunday and there was a birthday party there with little kids, maybe 8-9. I heard several of the kids saying worst movie ending ever. I think that for some people, who don't follow as closely as we do, they don't understand what happened.

I heard tonight that James Gunn translated Groots final "I am Groot". he said "Dad" as he died
          Yea that's messed up...But alot of people that are complaining about it do not read the books and it's like beating a dead horse but Marvel IS going to pull from those books because it's REFERENCE material...casual fans don't know or seem to care and this Thanos is still a Bad *** but he is dialed down a little for the masses...

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by warlock664
            You obviously have very little understanding of the character. There's a big difference between being "on a suicide mission" and destroying another sentient being.
            Why was Thor threatening to kill Thanos if "destroying another sentient being" was impermissible to him? The subtext to Rocket/Thor's conversation is his losses have driven him to the edge of madness and all the matters is killing Thanos. Standing in the star blast was to show his fervor is driving him to irrational decisions. He would have died, if the axe wasn't formed. When he reaches Wakanda, he knows destroying Vision's stone stops Thanos, just like he knows a crack to the skull is how you kill. But because those actions don't serve the endgoal of the plot, he suddenly curtails himself.

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Why was Thor threatening to kill Thanos if "destroying another sentient being" was impermissible to him? The subtext to Rocket/Thor's conversation is his losses have driven him to the edge of madness and all the matters is killing Thanos. Standing in the star blast was to show his fervor is driving him to irrational decisions. He would have died, if the axe wasn't formed. When he reaches Wakanda, he knows destroying Vision's stone stops Thanos, just like he knows a crack to the skull is how you kill. But because those actions don't serve the endgoal of the plot, he suddenly curtails himself.
              Right, because killing Thanos, a being who poses a mortal threat to every living being in the universe, is equivalent to destroying the Vision, a fellow Avenger who safeguards the lives of others. And again, his willingness to destroy himself in the process of seeing Thanos thwarted doesn't equate to a willingness to sacrifice another good (guess I should've emphasized that part), sentient being. But believe what you want. Even if it doesn't make any rational sense given the established heroic qualities of Thor.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Right, because killing Thanos, a being who poses a mortal threat to every living being in the universe, is equivalent to destroying the Vision, a fellow Avenger who safeguards the lives of others. And again, his willingness to destroy himself in the process of seeing Thanos thwarted doesn't equate to a willingness to sacrifice another good (guess I should've emphasized that part), sentient being. But believe what you want. Even if it doesn't make any rational sense given the established heroic qualities of Thor.

Stark and Strange were trying to thwart Thanos, hence the idiocy of trying to rip the glove off and not simply cutting his dmn arm at the elbow. Thor wanted to kill him, stated numerous times. That's the production's attempt to juxtapose Thor becoming Gladiator Maximus to the standard heroism the other Avengers are espousing. And when the moment for Thor's payoff comes, they fold.

As for killing Vision...again, Thor has seen first hand what Thanos is capable of. He knows if he completes the gauntlet, every other person dies. So if Thor doesn't kill Vision, Thanos will once he rips the gem out, and then Wanda will most likely die too, once he snaps his fingers. So destroying Vision would be quite rational to Thor, (and Star Lord if he was there), because what Vision wanted more than anything is for her to be safe. Both were willing to die if that's what it took to stop Thanos, so Thor would have honored Vision's request and cleaved Viz's head.

Comment

• warlock664
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 15, 2009

Stark and Strange were trying to thwart Thanos, hence the idiocy of trying to rip the glove off and not simply cutting his dmn arm at the elbow. Thor wanted to kill him, stated numerous times. That's the production's attempt to juxtapose Thor becoming Gladiator Maximus to the standard heroism the other Avengers are espousing. And when the moment for Thor's payoff comes, they fold.

As for killing Vision...again, Thor has seen first hand what Thanos is capable of. He knows if he completes the gauntlet, every other person dies. So if Thor doesn't kill Vision, Thanos will once he rips the gem out, and then Wanda will most likely die too, once he snaps his fingers. So destroying Vision would be quite rational to Thor, (and Star Lord if he was there), because what Vision wanted more than anything is for her to be safe. Both were willing to die if that's what it took to stop Thanos, so Thor would have honored Vision's request and cleaved Viz's head.
                  *sigh*
                  It's hilarious that you think you understand the motivations/actions of a FICTIONAL character better than the people who actually WROTE THE SCRIPT! In over 50 years, Thor has never been characterized as the type of hero who could casually take the life of an innocent being, willing android or not. And one bad encounter with Thanos and he's going to lose his moral center? Nonsense. As Earth2Chris correctly stated, for heroes, there's always another way.
                  As far as your irritation that the heroes didn't just rip Thanos' arm off? If those types of details bother you, you should probably just avoid the movies.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^Well said.

Plus, Thor gave Vision life in the films, so there's that as well.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

*sigh*
                      It's hilarious that you think you understand the motivations/actions of a FICTIONAL character
                      What are you talking about? These characters aren't fictional.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Brue
                        What are you talking about? These characters aren't fictional.
                        Right on Brother!!
                        sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

*sigh*
                          It's hilarious that you think you understand the motivations/actions of a FICTIONAL character better than the people who actually WROTE THE SCRIPT! In over 50 years, Thor has never been characterized as the type of hero who could casually take the life of an innocent being, willing android or not. And one bad encounter with Thanos and he's going to lose his moral center? Nonsense. As Earth2Chris correctly stated, for heroes, there's always another way.
                          As far as your irritation that the heroes didn't just rip Thanos' arm off? If those types of details bother you, you should probably just avoid the movies.
                          Thor may be written in a way where he wouldn't take a lawful sentient life, but that's not due to the creative outcome by whichever writer. It's due to the constraints placed by the producers who do not want to market a Thor that kills. So the writers have to follow those guidelines, which makes them write scenes that bend the logic of their character's actions.

At the start, Batman used to kill and it made sense. Then NPP/DC saw the dollar signs. So we got a character who doesn't kill the killers...that keep killing. Read any Miller or Moore interview and you see it's that illogic they wanted to try and find a logic for.

It's not that I have some desire to see Thor kill on screen....that's Super Conan....it's the attempt to sell a serious weight to the actions of the movie when, by both of your own arguments, superhero properties do not need to adhere to those rules because "there's always another way".

Again, this was the entire dmn point to Wrath of Khan: sometimes there is no way out. The Russos/Fiege tried to sell that point with Strange's "It's the only way" line, but that's not true and with a macguffin like the Gauntlet there are no rules.

But keep it up with the ad hominems.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 12, 2014

I know I am way late for the party but I finally saw this today. I loved it. Cant wait for the next one. It was everything I hoped it would be. I thought once Hill evaporated Fury was going to make it. Guess not. Who was he contacting? Thor was incredible! Is Hulk really scared? What happened to Valkyrie? I know she was on that ship cause I finally saw Thor Ragnarok on Monday. Is Loki really dead? Is Thor the last of the Asgardians? I believe they are all dead now. Where is Hawkeye? Where is Ant-Man? Will they enlist the help of super villains to fight Thanos? Can the people of Wakanda rebuild Vision? Can the Avengers steal Luke Cage, DD, Sheild, Iron Fist and Cloak and Dagger from their tv shows to help them fight? Guess we wont be seeing Adam Warlock. Is Stan Lee still alive and well on his school bus? So many question. Still, I give it 10 out of 10.
                            Last edited by ZombieJimC; Jun 13, '18, 8:41 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

Fury was contacting Cpt. Marvel. I think Adam Warlock will be making an appearance in the next one as well

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jacoblb

I thought Gamora was dumber than the audience as the whole scene was predictable.
                                I thought it heart-wrenchingly touchingly bittersweet that Gamora was that consumed with anger toward her adoptive father that she couldn't see what was so obvious to all of us for so many seconds of time before her death forced her to accept the truth.

Best. Superhero. Movie. Ever.
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎