X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

My Bukowski Weekend

So Buk is my favorite author/poet and I decided to devote this weekend to him.

This is the small amount that I keep at home; the majority I keep at work, where I like to read during lunch time.

Got in my car and drove out to some of my favorite Bukowski sites.

The first was his childhood house, that he later called "The house of agony". His Father was very abusive. If the lawn wasn't cut to his approval, Buk got a beating. And if it wasn't the lawn, there would be another excuse for another beating. Not a happy place in his youth.

Heading over to his next notable address, I couldn't help but take a pic of the Hollywood sign that would later become the title of one of his novels which covered the making of the movie "Barfly" (which Mickey Rourke was amazing in).

This is the famous De Longpre Avenue home where he wrote his first novel: Post Office

About a block away was the Shakey's on Sunset he would patronize.

And on the corner of Hollywood and Normandie was the Liquor Store, formally known as Ned's Liquor Store back in his day, where he would buy his smokes and drink of choice.

When the money started coming in, he switched from Shakey's to Musso and Frank. (Which, by the way, serves the best Martini known to Man.)

His last home was in San Pedro, where he wrote my favorite Buk novel: Pulp.

He lived there with his Wife, Linda, till the end. He got to enjoy his Wife, his cats, and the view of the San Pedro Harbor from his balcony, which was mentioned in final poems.

Buk's final resting place.

Plot 875 w/ Ocean View. One of the Cemetery Directors told me he gets lots of visitors, many from France and Germany.

Bukowski brought lots of joy and laughs to my life. Glad I was able to share some of his life with my friends.

"Cheers, Mother Fu*%ers"

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

My all time favorite author. This is awesome!
    I was hoping to publish him in a small mag I had years ago, but he died before I got the chance to solicit work from him. I did get to appear in a couple issues of the Wormwood Review with him though (he was already dead, but the mag had tons of already accepted poems). Ah, the halcyon days of youth.
    Last edited by Iron Mego; Apr 24, '18, 12:32 AM.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎