Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUPER FRIENDS: Hawkman and Giganta! At Long Last!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

SUPER FRIENDS: Hawkman and Giganta! At Long Last!!

At long last, Figures Toy Company has announced that Hawkman and Giganta are being manufactured for the SuperFriends line. Although no release date has been announced yet, I cannot wait to finally complete the SuperFriends figure collection. I'm hoping the release will be before this year is over considering this fall will be the 40th anniversary of Challenge of the Super Friends. I have a list of figures I want to buy this year, but Hawkman and Giganta are the top two on the list. Anyway, those are my thoughts.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Indeed, it's good news! I'd expect Giganta to be regular sized, but I am hopefully we will see a 12" version of her. Some of the wording regarding Giganta makes me think a larger sized version may happen.

I am also hopeful of the wing design for Hawkman. There are at least two more versions of Hawkman they can make to help make the cost worthwhile, not to mention the sales of just the wings parted out.

Either way, once I see them, I may start to decide on a nice display for the FTC Super Friends figures. I finally picked up Brainiac, so I only need to get Sinestro, and the optional Evil versions.
    Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 20, '18, 8:51 PM.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

Now if we could somehow get FTC to make Rima.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
        The Man of Many Voices
        • Aug 30, 2005

Agreed. But I'll be happy if they complete the Challenge of the Super Friends and Legion of Doom cast. It is interesting that FTC has plans to make the Super Friends versions of Darkseid, Kalibak and Desaad from the 1984 lineup. Maybe FTC can consider making not only Rima, but how about the Atom, Hawkgirl, and a Super Friends version of Firestorm, not to mention Mr. Mxyzptlk. For Hawkman, I'd think the wings ought to be rubber and attached the harness around his chest. Better than cardboard.

Comment

• SWDAVE
          • May 31, 2017

Here’s to hoping that Hawkman’s wings are not cardboard. Please make them out of molded plastic FTC!

Comment

• BATMAN89
            Mego obsessed!!!
            • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by SWDAVE
            Here’s to hoping that Hawkman’s wings are not cardboard.
            I may get Hawkman if the head is not too cartoonish like some of the others, and if the wings are not cardboard.
            Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
            My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• drogge
              Career Member
              • Jul 24, 2009

I think laminated cardboard makes sense. Or thin plastic. Bulky plastic wings would weigh too much. Cloth wings like Falcon would be ok. The Superfriends head sculpts have been very well done, so far. I am hopeful this will be a great figure. Giganta, wow, so happy. I wish they'd make The Atom.

Comment

• Madcap70
                • Dec 4, 2017

So where are the pictures?

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

I won't be surprised if Giganta is wearing the same outfit as the Batman '66 Catwoman female henchmen.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                    The Man of Many Voices
                    • Aug 30, 2005

Originally posted by Madcap70
                    So where are the pictures?
                    According to their latest facebook post, FTC says they are currently being manufactured right now and don't have anything to show for it yet. But I am sure the pics will come along. With the previous waves, the first announcement there were intially pics from the Hanna Barbera model sheets, then came the pics and finally, the release date and eventual announcement when they are ready to ship.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 9, 2013

These are good news. I have to add my voice to the no paper product wings. There's multiple uses for these, I know I'm not the first to mention it.
                      Silver Age Hawkman
                      Golden Age Hawkman (hawk & later cloth mask)
                      Hawkgirl (golden and silver Age)
                      Golden Eagle (more Titan's West)
                      Dawnstar (Legion, Duh why hasn't there been any Legion)
                      Azrael
                      There's plenty of opportunities to make them cost effective. The harness and wings being one piece for the Hawks would be ideal.
                      Rubber or jiggular like wings would be cool. One of the biggest problems with these would be weight. Getting them to stand might be one of their design concerns. How about a thin plastic frame covered in cloth? I think this option would look very Mego-like.

Comment

• SWDAVE
                        • May 31, 2017

Originally posted by BATMAN89
                        I may get Hawkman if the head is not too cartoonish like some of the others, and if the wings are not cardboard.
                        I agree 100%. They better not screw this up.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2011

I'd be at least content if they made the wings out of a stiff felt instead of the cardboard. Felt can be printed on and would hold up better than the plastic coated cardboard. Plus it could be ironed if they get bent. I would also think felt would be cheaper.

Happy would be to use molded plastic. There have to be tons of wing molds from Christmas Angels made in China.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

I've always imagined Mego doing vacuformed, slightly undersized wings if they had gotten around to characters like Hawkman, Hawkwoman, or Angel. They'd have been light and cheap (think like the TMP Enterprise playset). If I had access to a vacuformer, I'd have built them a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎