X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Bendis' Superman

Dan Greenfield of 13th Dimension was nice enough to ask me to weigh in on what I would like to see from Brian Michael Bendis' impending Superman and Action Comics run. It's my first article for the site, but hopefully not the last.

Chris
    sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Good points, especially #1 and #2.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Interesting. Some thoughts/reactions to the list... but first a little context-I run hot and cold with Bendis-I really like his creator-owned stuff-Powers, Fire, Torso, United States of Murder Inc. etc. and I really dug Daredevil and Alias. I hated his Avengers at first (it wasn't "my" Avengers) but once I got over that reaction I warmed to it and enjoyed large parts of his run there, but I've disliked my share of his stuff too. I am looking forward to his Superman run though and have added the titles to my pull for the first time since Superman Red/Blue hit way back in the day (I've read some of the new52 and Rebirth stuff in trade, but haven't followed Supes as it came out since that stunt event in the triangle era)

As to point 12-Brainiac is a major player in the No Justice event relaunching Justice League by Scott Snyder, so I don't know if he will be available for Snyder to use on his Superman books for a while.

with point 9-Bendis has said that he intends ot focus on Clark the reporter, and that part of what intrigues him is the hings that Clark, not Superman can do, in the battle for truth and justice, especially in an age when those things can no longer be taken for granted, so I do think the Planet and the role of Clark there will be a major focus for his run. He mentioned he had spent the day shadowing a reporter at the Oregonian to get a feel for a reporters work life just before he flew out to Texas for SXSW.

point 7-in the creator panel focused on superman and SXSW, Bendis called Lois the bravest woman in the DCU and hinted there are plans for her in his series and possibly in a project where she is the headliner, but couldn't confirm or deny that last point, so I think Lois will get her due in his run.

point 6-Bendis is one of the few writers to shy away from writing married characters, and the dynamics of the relationship between Luke Cage and Jessica Jones and their baby played out across several titles over many years at Marvel. It wasn't always a happy relationship or without challenges, and it wasn't easy, but it was one that survived the challenges because the characters loved each other and worked to make the relationship work. I can easily see a similar dynamic to the Lois/Clark relationship over the course of Bendis' time on the books.

point 5-I am not sure how much Bendis will do with Jon, not necessarily by his choice. It looks like DC is removing control of Jon from Superman editorial and putting it elsewhere. He will be featured prominently in the Zoom line of Young Adult books (there's a Super Sons book there), but the Super Sons in continuity title is being cancelled and there's speculation Jon will be part of a new teen book (Young Justice revival maybe) under a different editorial office limiting what his role can be in the actual Superman books. Whether that is because Bendis had no interest in using Jon or because DC editorial wanted him to be more prominent outside the Superman books I don't know, but I don't expect Jon to have a big role in the Bendis run.

point 4-again Bendis said at SXSW, there are things Clark can achieve in the battle for truth and justice that Superman for all his powers just cannot, so I expect Clark to have a big role in the books.

Again, interesting stuff here. I referenced the SSW panel a couple of time (it had Jurgens, Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Bendis and creative folks from the show Krypton (exec producer & writers) and tlaked about Supes legacy and future. YOu can see the whole thing on youtube...

it's a worthwhile watch.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the info. The article assignment was pitched to me by Dan Greenfield as what I would like to see, so it's nice to know that Bendis is heading in many of the directions I hoped he would.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎